All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
earthquake
join:2010-02-17
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

Can I have 2 separate DSL lines at my home?

A family member recently moved into our home with his own computer. We share a wireless router, but the speeds are terrible when both of us are online. I know it's possible to have 2 separate phone lines, but can I have 2 separate DSL lines as well? If it's possible, what would Verizon have to do to the line at our home.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

Yes it is possible, but can be tricky at times to get Verizon to do. It will have to come in on a second pair. If Verizon refuses to give you a second dry dsl line, you could tell them there is a second unit (i.e. Unit B or 2) and see if they might do it that way on separate bill.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

tschmidt to earthquake

MVM

to earthquake
As ilikeme See Profile posted you can have as many DSL accounts as you have physical phone lines.

If your roommate does not want wireline phone check out getting just DSL on a dry line. However I think Verizon is refusing to do that in some locations. In that case sign up for the cheapest, POTS plan they offer. They tend to be pretty cheap. Plus having voice service provides a backup and makes for easier troubleshooting.

Once that is up and running need to decide of you want to keep them entirely separate or get a load balancing router with duel WAN ports.

/tom
earthquake
join:2010-02-17
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

A Verizon tech just left and said that at this time, all of the DSL/data lines in our area are sold out. He also mentioned that Verizon is in the process of "upgrading" their DSL lines and that everybody is suffering at the moment including surrounding counties. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

BTW, I asked him if there were any plans to roll out cable or Fios to our area and he just grinned and said that it's highly unlikely. That's what I get for living out in the boonies.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by earthquake:

BTW, I asked him if there were any plans to roll out cable or Fios to our area and he just grinned and said that it's highly unlikely. That's what I get for living out in the boonies.

I live in a heavily Republican area of NJ and FiOS stopped one CO over. No FiOS for me; I can move to Newark and get FiOS, state mandated for CATV franchise.

I laugh, Ma Bell is dead and wireless is dancing on her grave. All dance while we drink the kool-aid poured by MCI*; free phone for all, ja ja ja.

*MCI is now a Verizon laughing LLC. Whatever happened to Bell Labs, the greatest pure research entity that ever was? Oh, I know the French own it and they haven't invented a laser or transistor in many years.