redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

4 edits

redwolfe_98 to Sparrow

Premium Member

to Sparrow

Re: AVG Free False Positive

sparrow, i believe that AVG was alerting you to a malware-infection, as it is suppose to do..

you said that it was a false-positive because the file that was being flagged did not exist.. AVG does not flag files that do not exist.. maybe you didn't see an icon for the file and, so, you thought that the file did not exist, but, just because you don't see an icon a file, that doesn't mean that the file does not exist..

it is too bad that you are dumping AVG due to its flagging malware on your computer and, then, your believing that it was flagging a file that did not exist.. i think you should reconsider dumping AVG..

furthermore, you need to make sure that the malware has been removed, one way or another, either by "reformatting" or by getting help in one of the forums where people get help with removing malware..

in addition to dslreports' own "security cleanup" forum, some other forums, where people get help with removing malware, are:

bleepingcomputer
geekstogo

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow

Premium Member

Being pretty well-versed in the malware clean-up gamut and considering no other virus, Trojan, rootkit scanner or Malwarebytes, Spybot, HT and a host of other applications picked anything up, I'm not about to go wild with days in the clean up forum and possibly destroying other files in the process.

I forced deletion of what AVG could not remove and thus the error began. It seems to be a context menu problem and working on that when time allows. I realize the error is showing what appears to be a Trojan and searching shows others with the same problem with different random characters after \Temp\ dating back to 2009, but there was no solution in any of the posts. All threads end like this one - up in the air.

I've been using NIS since the mid-90's and was in between subscriptions, so I thought I'd give AVG a whirl. I'm back with NIS and will stay put. However, I do appreciate your post and concern.

If and when a solution is found, I will follow up here.

Thank you.
Leah