Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan

4 edits

Monitor Advice: 2560x1600 resolution

I'm in the market for a new monitor at the moment, despite the fact this process is incredibly complex and akin to learning neuroscience apparently, I'm having a doozy of a time doing this. No, really. I'm not even trying to be funny in the slightest. I am not kidding when I say trying to buy a new computer monitor is exceedingly a complex thing to do. There are just so many options and then you layer the fact that each monitor has 20+ specific "traits" that neither make any sense to decipher or just end up being irrelevant in any way.

The whole process has really just made my head spin. BUT alas, I have a question. I'm aware of monitors, particularly 27" monitors, that have resolutions like 2560x1440. 2560x1440 seems to be the "standard" resolution when it comes to resolutions above 1920x1080. 2560x1440 is basically the next step up.

But I'm curious what you guys think about 2560x1600. I'm currently using two 1920x1080p monitors. I was aiming for surround gaming eventually but I recently learned my monitors were discontinued(»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 24236049). They are about 5 or so years old but are decent 60hz monitors nonetheless. So I was considering just giving up my surround gaming "project" or rather just putting it on the back burner. I have a potential buyer of these monitors already in the wings but I was just considering buying 1 really really good 27" monitor(120hz, 3d) and then working up to surround gaming from there years and years down the road.

But I don't know what to think about x1600 resolutions and/or if they pose problems with games, windows, etc. Seems like an odd resolution and I'm just not sure how "adopted" it is in mainstream content like gaming, movies/videos, etc.

Any ideas?

I'm basically set on buying a single(for now) 30" Yamakasi Leonidas(Catleap category: Korean import)(»www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKASI-LE ··· 94721032). Although it's listed for $999.99. I could've swore the Leonidas was like $650-750 a few months ago!

So, basically the 2560x1600 resolution seems weird and I wanted to know if I would be expecting compatibility issues with that resolution and most games out there. 2560x1440 I know works as I see it as an option in 99.99% of game settings. But 2560x1600?

Secondly, I know my 560Ti SLI would not cut it pushing a monitor like this with a resolution that high. And "not cutting it" is putting it rather gently. These GPU's would flat out choke. Period. So, that's where a 780 comes in. Along with the Leonidas, I would also go ahead and purchase a 780. Can 700 series GPU's cut it for that resolution? Or are GPU's still a couple generations behind in regards to that kind of horsepower.

Some benchmarks out there are pegging a 780's performance at around 30fps average(Far Cry 3 @ 2560x1600).

A new monitor and GPU are basically my next upgrade path. Because Haswell didn't really impress me enough to warrant putting any money towards CPU/Mobo, I've decided on Monitor/GPU with staying put on my current hardware(Intel i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz, Asus P8Z68-V, 8gb DDR3 1866Mhz, 256SSD). I'm confident Monitor/GPU is the best course of action as far as upgrade choices/planning is concerned and seeing a large performance return on my money(albeit expensive as HELL upgrade choices here, with prices being what they are: ~$1500 EASILY).

OFF TOPIC: Holy shit, I just caught the trailer for the movie Pacific Rim. It actually looks really frikkin awesome. Weird, it sort of resembles something I would probably be interested in watching. Everything I've ever heard about this movie up till now never got my attention. I wrote it off months ago because the whole premise of Pacific Rim sounded so incredibly ridiculous. It really does have the sort of story/idea of that of a "B-list movie". Basically real corny. But here I am to just say... wow, I might have just jumped to conclusions wayyy way ahead of time and I might end up eating my own words. The trailer really looks epic!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=5guMumPF ··· MumPFBag

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

2 edits
2560X1600p is 16:10 format, the same aspect ratio as 1920X1200p. Just twice the resolution.

Personally, I prefer 16:9 aspect ratio. 1080p, 1440p. I like the width for gaming, movies, etc. Some people prefer the extra height of 16:10. I don't.

It's all personal preference.

This is the monitor I literally just ordered (along with my GTX 780 ) the 27" Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 On sale for $569 right now. Which is smokin'...

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009C3 ··· i=507846

It's a PLS panel, as opposed to IPS. Supposedly PLS offers faster response times and even better viewing angles and color reproduction then IPS. But we'll see.

Monitor shopping has got to be one of the most grueling things to get through, out of all the hardware choices you'll make. Since it's a completely subjective category, you'll get a million different opinions when doing your research.

In the end though man, just choose what looks good to you. You can't go wrong with any of the choices you're suggesting. You won't have any compatibility issues running 1600p.

The only resolution you'll probably run into problems with would be something like 2560x1080 21:9. Some games don't support that size.

said by TruSm0ke:

Can 700 series GPU's cut it for that resolution? Or are GPU's still a couple generations behind in regards to that kind of horsepower.

Some benchmarks out there are pegging a 780's performance at around 30fps average(Far Cry 3 @ 2560x1600).

I've seen some benchmarks showing anywhere from 40-90fps running a single 780 @ 1440p. There's only a couple games at the moment that really put some demand on a 780. And that's usually with everything cranked to the max.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
said by Ghastlyone:

This is the monitor I literally just ordered (along with my GTX 780 ) the 27" Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 On sale for $569 right now. Which is smokin'...

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009C3 ··· i=507846

It's a PLS panel, as opposed to IPS. Supposedly PLS offers faster response times and even better viewing angles and color reproduction then IPS. But we'll see.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels overwhelmed when shopping for a new monitor. I felt like I was losing my mind and ended up spending a shitload more time on the whole thing than I really wanted or anticipated.

Thank you for the response and the clarification on the resolution. You're basically correct when putting resolutions into aspect ratios. In a way, you've actually ended up simplifying the whole "resolution" side of things by converting the numbers into easy aspect ratios ie 16:9, 16:10, etc. Made things easier for me, anyways.

That monitor you chose, the ASUS PB278Q, was one of the choices I've been trying to mull over. I actually have it saved in my Amazon cart as we speak. I'll be the first to admit I don't know a whole lot on the differences or benefits of IPS vs. PLS or about any of the other numerous screen types out there. All that completely loses me. I'd really appreciate if you posted your gaming results after you've had a fair amount of time testing your new monitor. I'd be curious how it ended up working out for you and how your gaming session held up with a 780.

I had some reservations about the ASUS PB278Q you got. But I can't remember which one of the monitors' specifications made me question if it was a good choice or not. The PB278Q has a 80,000,000:1 contrast ratio, 5ms(Gray-to-Gray) response time, 178° viewing angle... I assume ALL of those specs are good for gaming? OH! I remember what it was. It's only a 60Hz monitor. I was trying to look into something higher than 60Hz. But I'm fully aware that when it comes to gaming, 60fps(basically 60Hz) is where you start to get into diminishing returns.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit
said by TruSm0ke:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels overwhelmed when shopping for a new monitor. I felt like I was losing my mind and ended up spending a shitload more time on the whole thing than I really wanted or anticipated.

Same here dude, I've been researching my monitor upgrade for months. And changed my selection probably 15 times in the process haha. If you don't just settle on something, you'll be sitting there mulling it over forever with out a new upgrade.

said by TruSm0ke:

That monitor you chose, the ASUS PB278Q, was one of the choices I've been trying to mull over. I actually have it saved in my Amazon cart as we speak. I'll be the first to admit I don't know a whole lot on the differences or benefits of IPS vs. PLS or about any of the other numerous screen types out there. All that completely loses me. I'd really appreciate if you posted your gaming results after you've had a fair amount of time testing your new monitor. I'd be curious how it ended up working out for you and how your gaming session held up with a 780.

If you're going to order it, then do it now. Because $569 is the absolute rock bottom price I've seen on this thing. I definitely post my impressions of this thing as soon as I get it. Until my 780 ships though, by 448core 560ti is going to be choking in some games lol. I ended up ordering a Super Clocked 780 with the ACX Cooler. I plan on OC'ing the shit out of it. I'm sure it'll handle 1440p easily.

said by TruSm0ke:

I had some reservations about the ASUS PB278Q you got. But I can't remember which one of the monitors' specifications made me question if it was a good choice or not. The PB278Q has a 80,000,000:1 contrast ratio, 5ms(Gray-to-Gray) response time, 178° viewing angle... I assume ALL of those specs are good for gaming? OH! I remember what it was. It's only a 60Hz monitor. I was trying to look into something higher than 60Hz. But I'm fully aware that when it comes to gaming, 60fps(basically 60Hz) is where you start to get into diminishing returns.

I went with the Asus over the Dell equiv. because of the matte finish coating. I guess the Dell has a more glossy finish, which a lot of people gave bad reviews about. The Dell just had generally worse "opinions" over the Asus.

Another thing, any 1440/1600p monitor will only be 60hz. Which I'm fine with. IPS and PLS don't come in anything higher (yet)

120+hz displays are all TN panels. All the reviews I've read regarding gaming on 60hz vs. 120hz, are all subjective. Unless you're gaming professionally in some FPS, it aint gonna matter one bit. Just go with the 60hz IPS/PLS panel.

TruSm0ke

Michigan

4 edits
Is there a 780 out there yet that has more than 3GB of memory? I haven't heard of a 780 with greater than 3GB of memory. The memory, or lack thereof, is the *only* reason why I haven't purchased my 780 yet. I've been waiting and waiting to get a 780 by a 3rd party vendor that has designed a 780 with aftermarket/custom cooling and more than 3GB of memory.

I hate, hate, hate! glossy electronics. It should be sacrilege. A crime against humanity. Ok ok, that's pretty over the top but glossy monitors, smartphones, laptops, etc. need to just stop happening. I would never consider purchasing any monitor if it's glossy. No way in hell.

TruSm0ke

Michigan

2 edits
Have you ever heard of the Hazro HZ30Wie(»www.amazon.com/Hazro-HZ30Wie-S-I ··· IOT53A)? I'm also hearing solid things about that monitor as well. Like I said, I don't know too much about monitors and what some of the differen't specifications really mean. For instance, this Hazro has a 1000:1 contrast ratio. Is that horrible CR or not? Compared to 80,000,000:1, I've assumed 1000:1 is terrible.

Hazro HZ30Wie - Technical Details
- 2560 x 1600 native resolution - Viewing Angle: R/L : 89/ 89U/D : 89/ 89 : Surface Treatment: Hard coating(3H), Anti-glare treatment of the front polariser
- S-IPS 16:10 WQHD LED Panel - 16:10 aspect Ultra wide gamut TFT-LCD - Brightness: 370 cd /m² (Center 1 Point)
- 6ms Response Time - HZ30Wie: 10bit 1.07billion Colors | HZ30Wif: 8bit 16.7million Colors
- 1000:1 contrast ratio - Pixel Pitch: 0.2505mm x 0.2505mm - Color Gamut Wide Gamut 117% (CIE 1976) NTSC [100% AdobeRGB and sRGB Coverage]
- Includes: DVI-D Cable, AC-DC Adapter for USA & International 110V-240V. High quality made in Korea and Shipped from California, USA - Plug n Play Compatibility: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Win7/MAC OS X

ADDITION: What about the Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor?(»www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U ··· rp+U3011) It retails for OVER $1,000 USD. But if you look around, it seems you can get one for about $700-800. It's also LCD. Compared to IPS, is LCD good?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Sounds to be on par with the Auria--I think it has a 1000:1 native contrast ratio, and 100,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio:

»microcenter.com/product/384780/E ··· ort,_USB

If I had to do it again, I'd probably find three 24" or 271080p/1200p displays " with edgeless bezels and put them in portrait mode.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to TruSm0ke
I have a triple Asus 27" 1920x1080 monitor setup on one system and I have two AURIA EQ276W 27" IPS 2560x1440 monitors on two different systems. I really like all them so no complaints there.

I think the Asus PB278Q at ~$569 is a really decent deal.

I'm not really in the market for a new monitor now but if I were I'd probably be looking at a 4K. Maybe the Asus PQ123,....

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TruSm0ke
said by TruSm0ke:

ADDITION: What about the Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor?(»www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U ··· rp+U3011) It retails for OVER $1,000 USD. But if you look around, it seems you can get one for about $700-800. It's also LCD. Compared to IPS, is LCD good?

You might want to ask TigerLord See Profile I believe he's currently running one of these monitors for gaming.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

If I had to do it again, I'd probably find three 24" or 271080p/1200p displays " with edgeless bezels and put them in portrait mode.

You don't like your Auria? Or you just prefer surround type setups instead?

a2nxtcrav3r
Pokes People With Stick
Premium
join:2003-07-13
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to TruSm0ke
i have a u3011 and 4 ZR30W's

if you have any questions concerns you can ask me

I game on them / movies use Spyder 4 Elite colorimeter on each one

I have had zero problems with games 16:10 is a niche resolution I have had the U3011 during a time when many games did not support a resolution of 2560x1600 and many graphic cards were inadequate of those times.

Graphic card wise. Two gtx 580's SLI would do fine if you can find them cheap. a Single 7970 would do fine. if your 560ti SLI were the 448 core version it will still have problems with Vram limitations certain game sequences / 64 player battlefield maps will hit the glass ceiling and begin to have massive FPS drops here and there.

Movies look great 1920x1080P looks small 480P is unwatchable by my standards. 1280x720P is decent but jagged edges bluring still very noticable.

--
hmmmmmm....

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

said by Krisnatharok:

There's nothing wrong with the Auria, but it doesn't leave me much of an upgrade path. No-way I could drive three 1440p monitors on two GPUs, even if it's two Titans.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TruSm0ke

Michigan

2 edits
I ordered a EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 3GB(»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 14130917) yesterday. I got it for a total of $659.99 with 3-day shipping. That was about the best price I could find for that model. The next best was for around $730. I did not get the one with the custom ACX cooler because I've heard good things about the reference Nvidia cooler(and because it's sold out). It looks high quality enough that I'm going to just give that a go for eventually overclocking it.

Now, I need to pick a very good monitor. I'm selling the 2 24" 1080p monitors I'm currently using. They first came out about 4-5 years ago, 60Hz, nothing special really. For work, they have done the job. I've decided to move to biggest size monitors, away from 24" and to 27" renewing my goal of eventually having 3 of these for surround in a few years time.

My question is though, what would be better: 27" 120Hz/3D gaming monitor, like this ASUS VG278H here(»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· odYj8AcQ) which also includes 3D Glasses(Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit). OR a 27" 2560x1440 running at 60Hz, like the ASUS PB278Q(»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 24236294) identical to the monitor Ghastlyone purchased. Basically, whats better for gaming and would really give me more enjoyment? 27" 2560x1440 @ 60Hz OR 27" 1920x1080 @ 120Hz w/3D capabilities.

At the moment, this is the conundrum. I'm thinking if I'm eventually aiming for a 3-4 monitor surround setup I might be better off sticking with 1920x1080p compared to 2560x1440.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
Ah man, you shoulda went with the ACX cooler I think those reference coolers end up running around 10C hotter.

On your monitor, I'd go for the higher resolution, higher game detail, better color reproduction, etc. over 120hz. After every thing I've researched, there's a lot of posts out there with people saying once they switched to 1440/1600p they can never go back to 1080. It's just that amazing looking.

Keep in mind also with running 120hz display, unless your GPU is pushing out a constant 90-120fps in every game, then that 120hz monitor is a waste.

I don't know how true this is, but I've read online some people say that when their GPUs are only pushing 60fps on a 120hz monitor, then it looks like crap.

On the other hand, if you're interested in going multi monitor in the future, then you'll want to avoid 1440/1600p. Because like Kris said, even a couple Titans probably couldn't even run that properly.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
reply to TruSm0ke
I have played on both and I say the higher resolution. 120 hz helps be a bit ahead on multiplayer fps games like bf3. Higher res is better on everything though IMO. But overall Its really personal preference.

TruSm0ke

Michigan

1 edit
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Ah man, you shoulda went with the ACX cooler I think those reference coolers end up running around 10C hotter.

I'll see how the reference 780 I purchased overclocks and if it sucks, I'll try and get it replaced and maybe get the ACX. Unfortunately, the ACX was just sold out. So I purchased the only Superclocked version that was in stock. I think I took the last one too cuz it's sold out now as well.

I've heard of some modifications that people have done with great results to the 600 series cards where they installed Corsair closed-loop coolers on their cards with a specialized custom bracket. Not sure if it was carried over the 700 series or not.

I think I'm going to atleast try the 120Hz monitor. I've never tried one, I've only ever had 60Hz. Nor have I ever checked out 3D either. I'll give it a try with a number of different games to see if I can tell a noticeable difference. If I dont like it, I can always return it.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Krisnatharok:

There's nothing wrong with the Auria, but it doesn't leave me much of an upgrade path. No-way I could drive three 1440p monitors on two GPUs, even if it's two Titans.

Kris man,….

All you have to do is think outside of the box bro.

I was thinking along the same lines as you before. Even before that I was thinking there was no way I could fit three 27" monitors on a desk of which I didn't even have a desk to speak of at the time. Along with limited space for a desk.

So first of all the ugly reality is that you could have two or three Auria EQ276W monitors and simply run them at a lower resolution (and game settings) if your GPU processing power is at a deficit. You also could add cheaper lower resolution 1920x1080 27" monitors to your existing Auria and run the Auria at 1920x1080 for games. Not pretty but it should work.

Anyway, I solved my minor obstacles with a series of epiphanies when I wasn't actively thinking about the issues. First was to define the work space. Second was to clear the work space which required me to wall mount my HDTV. I couldn't find a desk with the dimensions I needed so the answer was to custom build one. I used two half hight file cabinets, some wood and some laminated flooring to make it look good. Then everything else just fell into place. Its a great work and play space. This is for the triple Asus 1920x1080p 27" monitors which are angled slightly to fit the space and to give a better surround experience.

I have a quad monitor stand (clamp on type 2x2 with the top or bottom 2 removable) but I'm not currently using it. I might in the near future.

I do use one of the Auria EQ276W monitors on a different system but not much anymore. My Wife uses the other on her system. I have no problem switching from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 or 5760x1080 and I'm not sure why others would.

Anyway, due to the realization that the Auria has fallen into occasional use it occurred to me that I could in theory consolidate a bit. I could just use a KVM which is known to work well with the Auria even at 2560x1440 and then add the Auria to the triple monitor setup for a quad monitor setup. It should work but there are issues with doing so. It would be quad for only one system and the other system would be connected only to the monitor on the KVM obviously). I would have to rotate all four monitors to portrait mode (vertically) due to space limitations. I would have to force the Auria to 1920x1080 for uniformity. This type of configuration isn't good for a lot of games since the focal point would be between the two center monitors in a quad setup rather then a single center monitor in a triple monitor setup.

I don't think I want to go from 5760x1080 to 4320x1920. I just don't think I would like it but I'm not sure until I try it.

If I buy another dual stand monitor mount I could give it a go though. The one I was looking at jumped from $33 to about ~$50 so I won't be doing anything anytime soon.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TruSm0ke
I can't get over how shitty the bezels look on most surround setups. Unless you go with some monitors with super slim bezels.

The majority of ones I've seen online, they just look bad and and for me, would be very distracting.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TruSm0ke
Click for full size
Ahhh yeah

Just came home for lunch to this waiting for me...

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to TruSm0ke
You see what happened last time you planned on completing a project "years and years" down the road. What makes you think it's going to be better next time? Next time you go to get that second monitor everything is going to be 4K and then you'll be looking to get rid of that 2560 so you can get just one "really good" 4K monitor now and then years and years down the road complete that surround gaming project.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Octavean
I guess I could pick up two of the EQ276L's and just run 5760x1080... I dunno. I would need to redo my entire desk and setup, much like you did.
--

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to TruSm0ke
Dell released their Ultrasharp U3014 a couple of months ago, 30" 2560x1600 wide-gamut 10-bit panel and the reviews have been pretty good. Also according to tftcentral there it has a game mode with pretty much zero processing lag.

The non-sale price (don't ever pay this on Dell monitors) is $1500 but it has been on sale for $1100 I think already. Myself and a couple of others are waiting for it to come on sale for $1000, probably happen either this fall or next spring.

I'll need a new video card anyways, my 6970 would make a slideshow of demanding games at that resolution. Hopefully the next Radeon series (9000 since the 8000 was a re-brand of 7000?) or whatever Nvidia has in store this fall pack a punch.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Ahhh yeah

Hook that sucker up and let me know what you think of it! Go play a bunch of games on it so we can see if it really does the trick.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by TruSm0ke:

said by Ghastlyone:

Ahhh yeah

Hook that sucker up and let me know what you think of it! Go play a bunch of games on it so we can see if it really does the trick.

All I can say is.... badass. Fuck TN panels and 1080p. After seeing this resolution in person. It looks beautiful. The colors are so vibrant, and the blacks are so deep and rich.

I loaded up Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider. Not even max settings. My jaw about fell on the floor.

My 1.25gb of VRAM in my 448 560ti was pegged. Completely maxed out. But those 2 games weren't completely unplayable either. I can probably even turn down some settings. I was getting some stuttering. I gotta say, I'm completely impressed with this Classified version of my card. That new 780 will completely destroy at this resolution. I can't wait to try it out.

Borderlands 2 runs and looks beautiful. VRAM was only sitting at 900mb.

27" seems to be the sweet spot. There's just so much real estate to fit all your web pages, videos, etc.

No dead or stuck pixels, and no back light bleed. This monitor is top notch.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Perfect.

Just finished ordering mine. If I dont have the same sentiments as you about it, I'll send it back and try out my second choice. Either way, thank you for the update! And I hope you enjoy it.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I guess I could pick up two of the EQ276L's and just run 5760x1080... I dunno. I would need to redo my entire desk and setup, much like you did.

Then again, I could be generous and just setup my Wife with a dual Auria EQ276W 27" 2560x1440 setup (5120x1440) on her work PC. These monitors are already side by side so I wouldn't even need to move them.

I think a lot of this stuff is mental. I clearly see the differences going from one monitor setup to another but it isn't a problem for me personally. It probably could be a problem if I made it a problem though. That is to say if I went out of my way to make it a problem,......

Still I could almost see buying something like an Asus PQ321 4K but it would have to be closer to ~$2000 or so rather then quasi ~$4000. Or maybe an UHDTV 4K if the price and specs are right,.....

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TruSm0ke
said by TruSm0ke:

Perfect.

Just finished ordering mine. If I dont have the same sentiments as you about it, I'll send it back and try out my second choice. Either way, thank you for the update! And I hope you enjoy it.

Np man. Hopefully you'll love yours as much as I do mine. I think you'll be surprised at how well your 560ti's perform. I don't know if you have 448 Core versions or not. That might make a difference. I've got my single 448 OC'd to the max, it actually surprised me how well a lot of games played at this resolution. Granted, I'm not playing Crysis 3 or Far Cry 3 (yet)

Guild Wars 2 ran smooth as can be. I got some frame rate issues here and there in Arkham City, but it looks absolutely amazing.

I'm still not used to how vibrant the colors look. I'm so conditioned to running an old worn out TN panel, that this new monitor is just shocking.

I did some adjusting of the brightness, contrast and colors, basically copying some settings off the internet (and eye balling) I'll post my current screen settings for you later on. From what my eyes can tell, these are about dead nuts on.

Update us what you think when you get it setup

TruSm0ke

Michigan

4 edits
Unfortunately, these are not the 448 core 560Ti's. Those came some considerable time later. These are the original, MSI Twin Frozr II 560Ti's before the core update/improvements. They have been great performers for me and when I eventually had them paired up & running in SLI they performed impressively and considerably better than a single 560Ti. Unfortunately though(again), the first 560Ti I purchased was the 1GB version(honest mistake but boneheaded nonetheless), not the 2GB, so when I purchased the 2nd one later on it was a 2GB model. And as some of you may know, SLI doesn't play nice with GPU's that are different in the slightest. They have to be exactly the same from front to back. But after some tweaking, plenty of frustration and the use of 3rd party software solutions(godsend), I had them working properly in unison. Albeit with both running at 1GB(lowest common denominator).

I'm scheduled to receive BOTH my new 780 and monitor this Friday. Both qualified for 2 day shipping(Amazon Prime member for monitor; paid extra for quick shipping on Newegg for 780). So I'll be able to remove the 560Ti's and replace them with the 780 in a couple days time. Then I can list them for sale and hopefully find a good home for them. So if anyone is interested in a pair(or one) of MSI Twin Frozr II 560Ti's, keep an eye out in the coming days for those to be available for purchase.

Ghastleyone - I would interested in those monitor settings you're using. So when you have some free time and can post that, I'll try them out myself and let you know what I think(and maybe a Kudos too!).

Needless to say, I'm super excited to get this all up and running on Friday and then having a loooong gaming marathon. I can't wait!!

TruSm0ke

Michigan
The only way I am able to get a 780 that quickly is because I just decided to grab one that was in stock. If I did get the EVGA 780 with the ACX cooler(which is slightly better, I know, than the EVGA 780 Superclocked with reference cooler; basically the same cooler as the Titan), I would've still been waiting to even find one, let alone place an order for one. I would've had to wait... for WEEKS to get ahold of an 780 w/ACX cooler. And even then, their is still uncertainty of just getting lucky and catching an in-stock ACX GTX 780.

I just decided to get the EVGA 780 Superclocked non-ACX while I had the chance. I think I ordered the last one too because it showed as 'OUT OF STOCK' after placing the order. This way instead of waiting for weeks and weeks I'll have it by Friday(just 2 short days away). Sure, I missed out on a custom cooled 780 that might allow for very solid overclocking/temps. But I think I'm happy to just get it quickly and then I'll just worry(or scoff at depending on my luck) about overclocking what I have.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TruSm0ke
These are the settings I'm running right now. You can probably adjust the brightness to your liking. I read of some people running theirs down at 25-30. I found that a little too dark.

Splendid : User Mode
Brightness : 55
Contrast : 80
Saturation : 50
Hue : 50
Color Temp : 6500K
Gamma : 2.2
Sharpness : 50
Trace Free : 20

Under Advanced Settings -
Gain :
R 50
G 54
B 43

Offset :
R 50
G 48
B 52

Now I noticed when adjusting the graphics settings in some games, my resolution was showing up as 2560x1440 59hz. Even after adjusting the refresh rate to 60hz in the Windows Control Panel, it kept reverting back to 59hz. After doing some reading, this is something that occurs with Windows 7. I guess there's a lot of monitors that run at 59.94hz and it's usually rounded up. Windows 7 rounds the refresh rate down, instead.

So to fix this...

Go into your Nvidia control panel
Go to Change Resolution
Click Customize
Create Custom Resolution
Go to the timing section
Select the drop down and choose "Manual"
Now set your refresh rate to 60.001hz
Click Test

Go back into your Windows display control panel and change your refresh rate to 60hz. Now you're good to go.