Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

BAFX OBD2 scanner and other cheap OBDII tools.

Full name: PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBDII Automotive Diagnostic Scanner for Android

Have neighbors and friends that want me to look at car problems. I decided I needed an OBDII scanner. I looked at the ELM327 ones (about $14) but most of the reviews said they were unreliable.

I decided this was worth the $24 as the reviews were good. I did not want to invest in an expensive one as both of my cars can't use it. Probably the only one that would work with mine are many $k in price (or don't exist.)

I downloaded the Torque app on my android phone. Plugged it into a neighbors car today fired up the app, read the codes (misfire on cyl #4). Seemed to work ok. The tach display did not work, but probably was an issue with the Nissan. It did show switching between closed and open loop mode in real time.

So, it worked. But documentation is near none and you need to search for any docs on the applications. I might try the windows versions but my laptop bluetooth and never worked well.

As it mentions the PIC CPU, i bet i could program new firmware if needed.

I wonder what others use and their experiences. Also, any apps they like (android or windows.)
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by shdesigns:

I looked at the ELM327 ones (about $14) but most of the reviews said they were unreliable.

»www.elmelectronics.com/A ··· te02.pdf

BTW all these companies are actually ripping off original ELM327 serial OBD design and associated PIC firmware. The RS232 to Bluetooth or WiFi conversion is trivial using an off-the-shelf module.

You can have a peek at one such device: »gtosoft.blogspot.ca/2010 ··· obd.html

IMHO this discussion is more suitable for the electronics forum.
15591113 (banned)
join:2013-07-16

15591113 (banned)

elm327 very compact, easy to use
Very cheap, maybe we do not have to worry about quality issues
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to shdesigns

to shdesigns
I have an genuine ELM327 $canner which is rs232 and two bluetooth ones from C. H. Ina. . They all have been flawless. I bought the second BT scanner because the first one was borrowed, extended loan it would seem.
The power is in the SW. The OBD SW that came with the original was great, but no frills. Torque is a lot more fun and very handy since I can now use my phone as a diag tool. I also recently loaded Diag My Toyota. Again no frills but it seems to access more than the basic engine codes. I can see other sensors such as shifter position etc... So it has it's place too.
Expand your moderator at work