how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Ant nest located - Need payload & delivery recommendations.

Since we moved in our house 2 years ago, we always had few random carpenter ants roaming here and there. However i knew the nest was outside somewhere as our flower beds (filled with decorative rocks) were swarming with them on hot humid days.

Today i found their home. A bird chipping away at the maple tree in front of our house caught my attention. The tree splits into 5 main branches 10 feet up. One of the main branches got broken off about 20 feet up (must have been many years ago). That stub is obviously the ants' home. It was a freaking airport of male ants and drilled up like swiss cheese.

Aside from cutting it off and risking an exodus into my house, what are my options? It's fairly large, about 10 feet in length and 10 inch diameter.

shrug

@videotron.ca

Best thing I ever used was insetigone (or diatomaceous earth). It's a Rona or Homedepot thing.

»www.rona.ca/en/insecticide---nat···ecticide
»www.homedepot.ca/product/ant-killer/909558

Should be safe around kids and pets (as long as they don't snort it).

I didn't go to wipe out a whole colony though, just keep them at bay and away from things, like house entrances.

You can squirt this in their nest as well. It will reduce their numbers by a lot.

Otherwise go the boiling water way or raid-spray way to drop them all dead.

Chances are, this will be a yearly spring ritual for you anyhow.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to alkizmo

I had good luck using Spectracide Triazicide a few weeks ago to get rid of an ant colony that was finding its way into my kitchen. It's supposed to have residual effects as well.

I got a bottle of the concentrate and a $0.98 multipurpose spray bottle, then mixed a batch of it.

ultram
Premium
join:2002-12-25
Wildwood, FL

Diatomaceous earth can be bought at pool store for cheap.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to alkizmo

Combat Ant Killing Gel took care of about 4-6 carpenter ant's nets last year for me. I just kept putting down a small pile of it where the ants were going and when they ate it all replaced it with another pile. Eventually the pile didn't disappear but the ants did.
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to alkizmo

I can't use anything that simply keeps them away. I find carpenter ants outside my house all around the structure, so I'd need to surround the house with diatomaceous earth or other chemicals. It won't work since the ants can still get through non earth land like the driveway, walkway, deck, etc.

I have to attack the nest somehow before the colonies spread to other trees (there are good dozen trees within 100 feet of my house).

The Combat Ant Killing gel sounds like an ant bait.
What I was thinking is to surround the tree's base with a perimeter of ant trap chemicals, they can't get in and out of their nest without passing through the bait.

What is in that stuff anyway? If it's boric acid, maybe I can make my own. I'd need a lot more than just a little tube.

ssar
Premium
join:2013-06-03
Pearcy, AR
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·Cablelynx

I use this stuff, I buy it in bulk cause the local shops quit carrying it for some reason. I just put a few dabs here and there on their trails and let them eat it. They stay alive long enough to take it back home then feed it to their young. You don't want to kill them "right away" or they'll just keep "returning". It works the best, you can make some home made stuff that works eh ok, but if you get it wrong they'll die too quickly or not fast enough to make a difference. You use boric acid and maple syrup, just don't let the animals get into the stuff. Another reason I prefer the gel you can put it in places where you can't reach by hand but can reach with a drill bit.

»www.amazon.com/Combat-Ant-Killin···00BQT5IG

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

I can't use anything that simply keeps them away. I find carpenter ants outside my house all around the structure, so I'd need to surround the house with diatomaceous earth or other chemicals. It won't work since the ants can still get through non earth land like the driveway, walkway, deck, etc.

I have to attack the nest somehow before the colonies spread to other trees (there are good dozen trees within 100 feet of my house).

The Combat Ant Killing gel sounds like an ant bait.
What I was thinking is to surround the tree's base with a perimeter of ant trap chemicals, they can't get in and out of their nest without passing through the bait.

What is in that stuff anyway? If it's boric acid, maybe I can make my own. I'd need a lot more than just a little tube.

I'll go look at the tubes I have and see. I used like 5-6 tubes last year. it was about 1 per nest. What the gel does is wait like 24-48 hours to kill so they can eat and eat and eat so the queen gets some. Just killing ants on contact or fast won't do it.
--

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to alkizmo

The area around my house is swarming with carpenter ants. The only thing I've found that works is the Combat ant gel. But it has to be in the syringe package. The pre packaged ant bait stations, even the Combat stations, just dont work.

You have to make sure that where you lay the bait is not accessable by wild animals. You dont want a herd of raccoons dropping dead all over your yard just because they ate all your bait.

I usually make sure its squirted deep into a crack or if thats not available, I take a small rock and lay a board on it and put the bait under the board. Then a couple bricks go on top of that. Those pesky raccoons are strong.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to alkizmo

Go to a local DIY pest-control shop that sells pro-grade stuff. Get some Demon WP, and let them have it.

Mix up a batch and use a 1 or 2 gallon sprayer and soak everything down. They will be done.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to alkizmo

Yeah, I second the pro-grade killer…. or better yet; hire a pest control expert.

I've been battling the suckers (Carpenter Ants, not Pest Control Technicians ) for a few years now. They successfully set up shop in three exterior walls. The pros came out and killed all three nests. After I remediated one area of the home that had water damage (and hence why the Ants were there), they've moved back into that space somehow. It's been a few years, so I'll have to pay again. Not a big deal though.

I'm not going to spend time and money on products that "might" work. The problem with Carpenter Ants is once you disturb a nest they branch out and create satellite nests. You don't want 'em moving from that tree branch to your walls!
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

Soaking the affected area of the tree (or the whole tree if possible), the trunk, and a 6-foot radius ont the ground will ensure there are no survivors.
--

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

The only possible problem is that in Canada you need a pesticide applicator's license to purchase pro-grade pesticides. (Unless Quebec is different than the rest of Canada in this regard)

Unless alkizmo has a license (or a friend that has one) he's left with the Home Depot grade crap.

Diatomaceous earth is a kick-ass line of defence too though, for more than just ants.
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to alkizmo

Make sure you confirm the extent of the damage on the tree. Damages limbs, trunks etc. increase risk of injury when working on a tree or cutting off dead branches.

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to The E

said by The E:

The only possible problem is that in Canada you need a pesticide applicator's license to purchase pro-grade pesticides. (Unless Quebec is different than the rest of Canada in this regard)

If not available locally, Demon WP is widely available online, even from Amazon.ca

It's great stuff, keeps my yard clear of fire ants and everything else I'd rather not have to deal with. And it's safe for kids/pets as long as you follow the instructions.
--

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

I'd need a lot more than just a little tube.

Would this do the job?

»www.agrian.com/pdfs/Maxforce_Car···bel2.pdf

»www.domyownpestcontrol.com/maxfo···112.html

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by 54067323:

said by alkizmo:

I'd need a lot more than just a little tube.

Would this do the job?

»www.agrian.com/pdfs/Maxforce_Car···bel2.pdf

That's the same thing as the Combat gel. Active ingredient is Fipronil in both.
--

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to The E

said by The E:

The problem with Carpenter Ants is once you disturb a nest they branch out and create satellite nests. You don't want 'em moving from that tree branch to your walls!

said by The E:

That's the issue, if I can't use the big guns, then I am simply risking that colony to move closer to home.

I'm thinking that tree might be a municipal tree (within 6 feet of the curb). I'm going to check my zoning plans and see if I can get the city to handle the wet work.

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Critsmcgee

said by Critsmcgee:

Same chemicals, but a more specific to the point delivery method and the combat gel, if purchased in the same quantity would cost about $100 more.
Expand your moderator at work

Ants

@optonline.net
reply to alkizmo

Re: Ant nest located - Need payload & delivery recommendations.

Call a professional. He should use a insecticidal dust (which the ants carry into the nest) or a microinjector with pyrethins which will fill the voids and reach the queen.

If he wants to use a residual spray, get another exterminator.

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 54067323

said by 54067323:

said by Critsmcgee:

Same chemicals, but a more specific to the point delivery method and the combat gel, if purchased in the same quantity would cost about $100 more.

Dunno they are both .95 ounce but Combat is under $5.00 and Maxforce is $25.00. Both are .001% Fipronil as well. How is the Combat more expensive again?
--

Tuscaloosa, AL

said by Critsmcgee:

Dunno they are both .95 ounce but Combat is under $5.00 and Maxforce is $25.00. Both are .001% Fipronil as well. How is the Combat more expensive again?

Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel

27 gram tube yields 27 spots of bait.

$22.50

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

They both appear to be 27 grams and .001% Fipronil so whats the difference?

Related note -- if you want to crate a barrier around the house, then Termidor SC which is a termite control product is the thing to use. It is 9.1% Fipronil. I use it for flea control on my dogs. Same active ingredient as Frontline, etc.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to alkizmo

Well i found an exterminator shop near my work. I will check what they have, see if i can get something i could use in my sprayer and hose that sucker down while baiting and contaminating the tree perimeter.

.... or use napalm.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to alkizmo

Just bee careful:

»www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/ind···son.html

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

1 edit
reply to ultram

said by ultram:

can also be bought at a farm supply store (like MFA) for $20 for a 20lb bag. I have a bag in the garage for just such occasions.

Edit: The $20/20lb bag I bought was food grade Diatomaceous earth. Sorry for the misclarification

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to alkizmo

mix equal parts Honey and Boric Acid... a few cups of it.

use a putty knife and put it into the opening they use.... They will take it to their nest as food.

They will all be dead in less than a month...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

Well i found an exterminator shop near my work. I will check what they have, see if i can get something i could use in my sprayer and hose that sucker down while baiting and contaminating the tree perimeter.

.... or use napalm.

That'll work

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to David

said by David:

said by ultram:

can also be bought at a farm supply store (like MFA) for $20 for a 20lb bag. I have a bag in the garage for just such occasions.

You want to use food-grade DE for pest control. As far as the pool stuff goes, it's dangerous.

»www.ktrh.com/pages/gardenline_ne···4-10.htm
--