Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donl

join:2010-04-23
Brampton, ON

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Marc

Re: Is TekSavvy the worse larger IPS in North America?

Yes...Rogers' fault ...always is.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

OMG. Unreal.

donl

Brampton, ON
reply to Ryan RED

Wow...if only I got this much attention when I was a customer...

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by donl:

Read the: "We will waive:" part. I doubt they were doing that because it was Christmas. End of the day you have to ask Donl. Do you want to hear "DHCP issues because santa is stuck" or the truth?

Sucks i know but sometimes truth is best. I'd rather be told the truth then some bs excuse

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26
reply to donl

said by donl:

You did, Don. We were all over the problem you were having.. It wasn't in our control... See those blogs.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

donl

Brampton, ON
reply to Tx

The offer came a bit after I left so didn't do any good. I am just giving feedback on my experience, others may have different experience. Maybe I should lie and say I was okay with the down time and TSI is great...damn those evil Rogers empire.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by donl:

The offer came a bit after I left so didn't do any good. I am just giving feedback on my experience, others may have different experience. Maybe I should lie and say I was okay with the down time and TSI is great...damn those evil Rogers empire.

Oh i'm not knocking your issue at all. Down for that period of time would irritate me and i'm one customer with tons of patience. It's how you reacted a few moments ago i'm commenting on. I'm really honestly not knocking you. I don't know what was worked out in the end etc. Just know i'd rather the truth.

When i call in somewhere that is having issues (Not just ISP) i want them to just give it to me straight, don't tell me some bull shit phony baloney story

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·voip.ms
reply to Ryan RED

Teksavvy is still an excellent ISP, in my opinion but they have been chronically understaffed for well over a year. This becomes a big problem for those who require immediate support. If they can fix this problem once and for all then I think a lot of the major complaints against them will be resolved much quicker and lead to happier customers as a whole.

Expand your moderator at work

donkey

join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC

1 edit
reply to Ryan RED

make a post in the rogers forum, then hold your breath for the rogers CEO to actually respond.

notice how teksavvys CEO is here, and trying to do his best to accommodate your request?

abcjak

join:2012-12-18

said by donkey:

make a post in the rogers forum, then hold your breath for the rogers CEO to actually respond.

notice how teksavvys CEO is here, and trying to do his best to accommodate your request?

2 different scenarios really. When I was with rogers, i would only need to call rogers 24hr phone support and someone would pickup pretty quickly EVERY time, any time of day. There was no need to have a 2nd service to get to an online web/help forum to get help.
I was with Bell for only a few years in the past 20 but that was the same...call, someone picks up, easy as that.

I would prefer not going to an online forum with my phone to get help, but i knew this would be the case when i switched away from a major ISP. The price difference was the main motivation and the level of customer support is the difference. ...we all know that going into it.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Ryan RED

said by Ryan RED:

I am not Canadian and have never used TekSavvy.

I've been a customer for 6 years since switching from the main telco ISP here Bell.

Yes there have been bumps along the ride, but I would never go back.

Plus I'm not the kind of customer that requires hand holding, i can do my own troubleshooting, in fact in 6 years I never called tech support. I have asked advice here and on the direct forum on a few occasions.
--

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by HiVolt:

said by Ryan RED:

I am not Canadian and have never used TekSavvy.

I've been a customer for 6 years since switching from the main telco ISP here Bell.

Yes there have been bumps along the ride, but I would never go back.

Plus I'm not the kind of customer that requires hand holding, i can do my own troubleshooting, in fact in 6 years I never called tech support. I have asked advice here and on the direct forum on a few occasions.

What HiVolt said.

ju1ce

join:2012-09-09
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to donl

donl,

Question while the internet was down were you reimbursed for your internet connection?

blaznazn224

join:2010-09-10
Scarborough, ON

The issues people complain about vary from region to region. Im from scarborough region and there was never a need for me to call about the service, I can't even remember the last time I called, it must have been last year or even before that. Also, what is funny is that if I do call, someone answers my call usually within 10 minutes.

The one thing I do think they screwed people over was the modems. I bought a D2 modem for $100, then a month or so later D3 was released and all the best services offered required one.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to abcjak

said by abcjak:

said by donkey:

2 different scenarios really. When I was with rogers, i would only need to call rogers 24hr phone support and someone would pickup pretty quickly EVERY time, any time of day. There was no need to have a 2nd service to get to an online web/help forum to get help.
I was with Bell for only a few years in the past 20 but that was the same...call, someone picks up, easy as that.

I would prefer not going to an online forum with my phone to get help, but i knew this would be the case when i switched away from a major ISP. The price difference was the main motivation and the level of customer support is the difference. ...we all know that going into it.

When talking to a TSI rep, you know they actually give a damn, unlike Rogers reps.

I'd really rather never talk to a Rogers rep ever again in my life. Having them blatantly lie to me on the phone, on their forums, on their online support chats, in private messages via their forums, and in a CRTC submission regarding my (past) issue is way more than enough for me. Never again on Rogers.

I've had issues on Teksavvy before, all which were Rogers-caused. Some which TSI couldn't do anything about (local node hardware failing, then finally failed causing an outage for the entire neighbourhood of tv, internet & phone), local node congestion..

Some which they were able to fix: Rogers botched my install - signals were out of whack, and I was seeing modem reboots every 20 minutes (I was able to time them down to the second with Martin on IRC, lawlz). They got Rogers to come back and fix the install, which fixed my signals.
It didn't fix my modem reboots while it was raining, but a further ticket with TSI had Rogers watching my account for 2 days (they came back and said "we don't see a problem"), but I guess they were still monitoring my account, as a few days later there was a one of those "Under contract to Rogers" trucks outside my building, and my modem reboots stopped.

I'd rather go with a TPIA provider any day (even with the 48hr+ turnaround time), than go with Rogers.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Ryan RED

said by Ryan RED:

How can an ISP that based on input from DSLR members be so bad, (or widely complained about), and still be so presumably widely used?

There are essentially two reasons for the complaints:

1. The regulatory structure TekSavvy operates under. To encourage competition the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission, our toothless equivalent of the FCC) permitted other companies to operate over existing incumbent networks, both cable and telephone/DSL. Obviously the incumbents do not like this arrangement at all. At the very least, the order of the day is to delay technical fixes for any problems TekSavvy may have on the incumbents' network - at the very most there seems to be deliberate sabotage. While this cannot be proven and if it was, the CRTC might do something about it, there just seems to be too many outages affecting only TekSavvy customers on an incumbent's network for this to be a coincidence. Sure TekSavvy may cause problems of their own from time to time but they always admit to it.

The incumbents put lots of stumbling blocks in the way of TekSavvy customers in order to make their experience so negative the customer will be forced to switch back to the incumbent. Witness this poor customer who had FIVE no-show installation attempts by an incumbent tech:

»How would you feel if this email to Teksavvy was ignored?

2. Massive growth. The incumbents' caps are so low and their rates are so high (and constantly increasing) that TekSavvy is experiencing rapid growth. This has put a lot of strain on their technical support staff. They have been hiring as fast as they can but at the worst of it wait times could be as long as 90 minutes. This was exacerbated by the gradual rollout of a change in network topology (I won't get into it here but it's referred to as ATPIA) which made new speed profiles available - too many customers were calling in to make speed changes at the same time.

The reasons why I'm staying with TekSavvy?

- they have a face. Many staff members post regularly here, especially the CEO. How often does the CEO of an incumbent post on these forums? Never. Here you can hear it straight from the CEO and even ask questions. You would never, ever get anything like that from an incumbent CEO. They're far too busy with multimillion dollar deals than to be bothered talking to a customer. They want to stay in their ivory tower. TekSavvy are not a faceless gargantuan organization interested in profit at the detriment of absolutely everything else. I don't get the sense that we customers are viewed as cash cows.

- they're honest...even when this makes things look negative for them. An incumbent will never admit to any issue but TekSavvy does all the time. The CEO will freely admit what's wrong and what they're doing about it. All you'll get from an incumbent is cheerful, noncommittal boilerplate...a polite way of saying "go away, we don't really care."

- fair rates, much higher caps. Of course the incumbents are putting pressure on TekSavvy here too by inflating what it costs TekSavvy to run on their network. To their credit, TekSavvy has still managed fair pricing even under this predatory environment.
--
TekSavvy 28/1 cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as WAP)

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to resa1983

My inlaws were on Rogers (native), which had issues all the time. I put my analyzer on the line and it was clearly a signal problem. I went outside and found the problem in two minutes. I waited for the tech, and made him run a new line and voila problem solved. The house was running 30 year old cable, which I was shocked...Corrosion everywhere

Well they moved to Bell, which was DSL in their neighborhood, which was almost as bad because guess what the lines were from the early 80's but Bell wouldn't fix the problem (unlike Rogers). In their area TV came from sat, phone/internet copper.

In any case Bell was a rip and had a 20GB cap (OK really -- I have FIOS for the same cost and 50/25, unlimited).

Enter Teksavvy. It is apparent from the interactions and scheduling that the issue is largely a Rogers one due to the windows. In any case the Rogers guy shows up and splits the neighbors line, and connects it to inlaws and leaves it on the grass (which made my rant easier)... In any case called back in and made them fix it properly. None of this from what I can see in a TPIA environment is something teksavvy could fix outside of employing QA checkers in more dense areas to actually QC the connections. There is of course expense with this, however it has to be outweighed by churn (or which I have no idea what the # is).

In any case still appalled by the 12/512 speed (i believe a grandfathered speed--AND AGAIN a Rogers limitation at the time), but for inlaws they are light users and for under $40 it fits the need. Their D3 modem should suffice. One thing that disturbed me about the install process is was the "fear" they instilled by not using their modem and the fact that if something went wrong you are pretty much on your own. The TS modem only has a 1 year warranty, which is sorta useless because we are talking about support. The actual hardware failure of a CM is minuscule. I would say maybe some explanation on the process or an upsell can be better handled (I was the one who put the order in). I can only assume the weak point is CM firmware and it has to be pushed by the operator..

In the states they charge $5-$7 for a modem lease and that covers warranty and issues. Maybe this would work out better from a support perspective since in the US a VERY small portion actually own their own CM. Yes you are talking about a fickle/price sensitive bunch, but to go mainstream it can't be roll your own.

In any case, the connection (Brampton) is quite stable now and works just fine. They are perfectly happy, and this beats the Rogers and Bell pricing (for a commodity no less) by a fair margin and the 300GB should suffice for a large portion, and if not there are options.

In the US, there is no TPIA, so go read how in areas without competition that customers are gouged and then you will realize while not perfect, the fact that you guys have options you should cherish... My parents pay $60 for 12/1 (no cap however) so use that as a gauge. My area has competition so I pay $80 for cable AND internet, a big contrast..

TSI Ashleigh
Premium
join:2013-02-24
Chatham, ON
kudos:7

Well said Fraoch!!! +1

donl

Brampton, ON
reply to ju1ce

Yes i was reimbursed but would rather have a better experience than going offline to the point of getting reimbursed. Like I said, i am giving feedback on my experience to the OP's question, looks like some are taking offend to this.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Ryan RED

Other reasons for the apparent dichotomy.

Most households get their internet service from an incumbent ... In this province that's Bell because they are (were) the trusted telephone supplier from eternity or predominantly Rogers because they are the cable company (although they haven't been here for eternity, the cable in the house has, just the name on the bill changed as the big companies swallowed the local cable companies.

The majority of people who get service from an incumbent don't know or care enough to visit forums like this even if their service is crap. They call the customer support number and eventually the problem is solved or sort of solved. They don't realize that it could be a whole lot better. They give up moaning at their neighbours and family when things don't go right because history has told them it's not worth complaining, there's nothing much you can do.

But there are a lot of people who were maybe more techincally interested or more who were dissatisfied with these companies who came to forums like this and found that courtesy of the CRTC that they could use 3rd party companies like TekSavvy.

Therefore there's an association between these forums and the companies that doesn't exist for the big guys.

If more customers of the big guys knew about these forums and complained the picture would be quite a bit different.

As mentioned earlier, because TekSavvy interacts with customers far more than other 3rd parties on forums, people even moreso bring their problems here. Rogers cable, for example, has been known to terminate employees who interact with customers on these forums! Bell has warned employees. They did work with DSLR to form a "Direct Forum" where they get the chance to escalate problems that weren't getting solved by traditional support channels. Which is great for customers of Bell who know about it ... but not for the vast majority!

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to donl

@donl

So there is a problem (outage), they tell you exactly what is is (meaning don't sugar coat or lie), try to find a workaround, reimburse you, and then you cancel them and then rehash the experience which is outlined as to the cause. So what would YOU have changed, other than "I wish it were working"?

However I can get why you are upset and days of outage is trying, especially over the holidays. Companies lock down the change control at certain times of the year (apparently Rogers at year end), and that means you could have screamed from the mountaintop, nothing would have changed. What should be examined is that potential impacts to network connectivity WERE changed close to that window and there was not adequate time before they went into lockdown to rectify. That is just poor network management, plain and simple.

Who's fault, who knows and I know you only care about your connectivity... I totally get it. I have fired companies for such actions, but it looks like they went over an above to find a solution. That is rare in CS circles...

So to understand before you cancelled them, was their no resolution in sight, the offer to fix too much to bear,or was it that you reached your logical boiling point past the point of no return. That is helpful in understanding how communications or interactions can be improved. Also, who did you go to, and how is that experience??... All very valuable information.

zurk
Premium
join:2009-11-08
Beverly Hills, CA
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Ryan RED

TSI is the best ISP in north america. in no other place have i seen such good service and a CEO willing to participate honestly on public forums.
there are hot topics because there are a large number of customers. and well supported.
i have been with them for several years and i dont see teksavvy changing. which is a GOOD thing.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to donl

All Ur Grin R Bearables!

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to Ryan RED

Teksavvy was good until they took on cable and then they became FailSavvy, SlowSavvy, DownSavvy, DropTheBallSavvy

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

They did what customers were clamouring for ... cable.

Sadly, what they got was a can of worms courtesy of the CRTC and the incumbents.

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Ryan RED

I started with DSL with them back in 2009, switched over to Cable, had nothing but problems with the cable end of it, when the promotion for free activation on VDSL was available, I jumped to that and haven't had down time in over a year and a half. I never really liked cable to begin with anyway, especially in my area where the nodes were always full at night. Even the Rogers tech when he came back said that the Rogers side wasn't that much better.

So I dont think its so much as Teksavvy as a company that is bad, Its the fact they need the incumbents to play nice and they dont. I lived through the cable outages from that Christmas a couple years ago, it happens.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

OMG. Unreal.

This. There's issues TSI can do something about and there's those that are a reality of getting away from Bhell/Robbers. People like to pretend that one company is better than the other for these issues but in reality it pisses them off just as much as us.

At least TSI will tell you exactly what is going on, why, and actively tries to make things better in the long run (via CRTC).

One aspect that has not be fought for that I've been prodding Marc about is fighting the CRTC for individual compensation/fee reductions when the incumbents fail to fix technical issues in a timely manner. That way TSI can pass those savings onto those customers who are affected and give the incumbents financial incentives to fix problems.

Marc: you're doing an awesome job - don't let the small things get to you!

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to Mike2009

I Had serious problems (6 tech visits) with the initial install BUT I do understand it is part of dealing with a a company that depends on bell.

Otherwise I had an issue with my router once i configured tomato on it ( this was 100% my fault not teksavvy's responsibility) . I called teksavvy and sure enough a rep by the name of Micheal with a British accent answered my call and after about 30 mins go the problem fixed for me.

If it wasnt for Micheal I probably wouldnt of ever figured it out on my even though i am ok with computers.

Now if I called Bell with the same problem... would they have been able to help me? NEVER!!!! i would of spoke to a guy called SURINDER who would of asked me to unplug my modem.

Teksavvy might be experiencing growth, and might be having a hard time handling it. Which isnt great at the moment but in the end this will result in more ressources for them to do GOOD work for US the consumers.

If Teksavvy keeps the same agenda going forward of doing right by the consumer I will stay long wait times or not.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to rogersmogers

said by rogersmogers :

Teksavvy was good until they took on cable and then they became FailSavvy, SlowSavvy, DownSavvy, DropTheBallSavvy

I'll take that TSI over the incumbents any day.