share rss forum feed

donl

join:2010-04-23
Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 recommendation

reply to elefante72

Re: Is TekSavvy the worse larger IPS in North America?

"So to understand before you cancelled them, was their no resolution in sight, the offer to fix too much to bear,or was it that you reached your logical boiling point past the point of no return. That is helpful in understanding how communications or interactions can be improved. Also, who did you go to, and how is that experience??... All very valuable information."

There were no resolutions in sight, in fact I was told my options were to wait or they can send a Rogers tech and I may be charged $99 (I know it's a rogers thing to charge $99 not TSI). After several calls & email to support and them having me do the same thing, and after each call I was promised a callback the next day with an update. Guess what, the first few times, it was me calling in for an update as no one called me (so I wouldn't classify that as going beyond and above the call of duty). I was with TSI, it was good at first, had a big outage, didn't get much help or a solution for days and days, after I finally had enough and cancelled, they then offered DSL as a temporary solution. Anyhow, I am surprise that my experience with TSI garnered this much attention vs. the 2nd post in this thread. Since no one defended against that, I'll let people draw their own conclusion.

Savvyvdsl

join:2013-04-29
Canada
reply to The Shadow

Warning! Warning! Troll alert....

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

said by Savvyvdsl:

Warning! Warning! Troll alert....

Savvyvdsl - Did you even read his post?.........carefully? Yikes!

Click that [1] at the top right or bottom right. Scroll to the very top, and carefully read what the OP was asking. Furthest thing from a troll. You just trying to get your piece of the pie or what?

rogeryen

join:2006-08-21
Waterloo, ON
reply to The Shadow

How I interpret it is that Teksavvy constantly engages in members' issues whereas other ISPs don't.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by rogeryen:

How I interpret it is that Teksavvy constantly engages in members' issues whereas other ISPs don't.

Well though Start isn't as active, the CEO i believe does respond on their side. Credit where it is due There are a few ISP's that do chat it up on and around DSLR.

blueeyesm

join:2003-09-05
Waterloo, ON
reply to The Shadow

"province". What you wrote was very incorrect.

BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI
reply to donl

We could always blame it on You

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to donl

Sounds reasonable to me considering your situation. I understand once you pull the trigger temporary DSL doesn't sound that appealing, and that means you have to wait to get it hooked up also with little in the way of guarantees...Mind stating where you are now, and how the experience is?

I think empathy may be low because this was deemed to be a Rogers issue, however no matter the fact those IP blocks were not allocated correctly and I'm sure if you were on Rogers native that wouldn't have happened.

As is the case with all virtual operators, they are at the mercy of the incumbent, and at times that means poor service or outages, and sometimes customer's won't put up with that--like yourself. So even though the competition is "regulated" that means the motive of Rogers are not pure and it also means that service will be at or below what is mandated or what they can get away with.

On my prepaid phones I know that there are going to be glitches or random rules imposed by the operators--but by saving 50% or more I come to expect some level of poor services/availability.

funstopper

join:2012-06-20
Chatham, ON
reply to The Shadow

Province*

donl

join:2010-04-23
Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to elefante72

I went to Rogers for a month and the got an awesome deal from Bell and switched to Fibe25, no downtime in 1.5 years. When the bell deal was over I switched to EBox 25/10 DSL and again no downtime.

Again that was my experience with TSI, yes it maybe rogers' fault but it does impact the overall experience. So when things goes bad it's TSI cause that's who I give my money to. On the other hand, when someone has an awesome experience with TSI (and I am sure there are many) I don't see any post that say Rogers connection is rock solid and very reliable. So if one choose to blame Rogers when things are bad they should also praise Rogers when things are good...afterall it's still Rogers.

coolspot18

join:2012-10-23
reply to The Shadow

Re: Is TekSavvy the worse large IPS in North America?

... Geez, people expect the world don't they?

In business, there is a pyramid: Service, Price, and Quality, you only get two out of the three. Teksavvy delivers on Service and Price, which I think for most is good enough.

If you want better quality, you'll have to pay the exorbitant rates charged by Rogers/Bell ... and even then they're not much better.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to donl

Thx. Inlaws are in Brampton. I will keep ebox in mind. Right now they are in grandfathered plan but the upload won't do it because now I have cloud backup that will be starting so they are going to need to get higher upload speed. They have TV via Bell, but I'm not sure VDSL was available at the time.

abczxcv

@teksavvy.com
reply to The Shadow

Re: Is TekSavvy the worse large ISP in North America?

I was on Rogers cable for 10+ years, before switching to Teksavvy 2 years ago.

My thoughts.

1. For the price, I think it is a great service! I had to switch from Rogers because they were charging me $55 for service + $50 dollars for "overcharges" relating to bandwidth. I get essentially same service for $44. Can't beat that.

2. In terms of reliability, there is no comparison. I can count on one hand the amount of time my service went out with Rogers in 10 years. In two years, I have had approx 5 outages. Granted couple of these were the fault of Rogers, and I would have had the same problem with Rogers. Thankfully none of my outages were more than 4-5 hours.

Reliability is not a huge issue for me. I can live without internet for hours or even a full day. My biggest worry is that there will be one of the nightmare scenarios where it is out for days or weeks. I understand these are rare, but it is not comforting to know that there could be problem out of Teksavvys hand, and am relying on Rogers to fix my problems.

willzzz

join:2007-05-23
SE MI
reply to The Shadow

Hey at least teksavvy does something and is open to change!

I'm in the Detroit area and my ISP (BrightHouse) which is HQ'ed in Florida routes all my RoadRunner internet traffic down to Columbus, OH which apparently is the Mid-West regional RDC. Then out-bound they route it to Washington DC to increase latency even more! In-bound I see them using Chicago (where it should be) to Columbus to my area.

I don't have a choice right now because ONLY cable serves my home and I'm a about 1000-2000 feet too long from the AT&T U-verse VDSL2 DSLAM and even farther from their traditional ADSL2+ /ADSL1 product.

Sigh... I'm moving soon anyways...

BTW, Toronto and Canada rocks (yes I've crossed over a few times) if not for the bandwidth caps!

At least in Canada and some other US ISPes you get proper routing and low latency. I get even HIGHER latency then normal (yes I just averaged 66ms latency to Google when it should be ~10ms!)

MJB

join:2012-01-29

GOOGLE FIBER IS GOING TO WIPE THESE ISP'S OFF THE MAP.... GOOGLE OWNS THE INTERNET RIGHT NOW... NOT BELL/ROGERS

novatelus

join:2013-06-22
reply to KPaul

I think I can read between the lines here. I am litterally trying to do nothing for like the next week. I totally get what you mean I hope I am not causing you any distress. I shouldn't text so much. lol is that what you mean? but in regards to someone saying teksavvy is a nice alternative to not paying through the teeth first of all there is a service charge , band rate charge and activation fee and to start its like paying for 3 months before you even get internet so Other than just " An Alternative " I see not much as financial benefit to switching over to techsavvy other than to get away from the mondane isp choice which is nice but cheaper? how so its more expensive as far as I understand.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to MJB

said by MJB:

google fiber is going to wipe these isp's off the map.... google owns the internet right now... not bell/rogers

Yeah - yeah - yeah. Like google owns the entire of North America... oh right the United States thinks the entire of North America is just USA. They all failed geography.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

Novatelus

Yes, there are up front charges ... buying a modem ... but you don't have to pay a monthly rental.

And if you're on DSL, without a landline phone, you've got a Dry Loop charge which has a band rate component. If you have landline phone (with any provider) there's no dry loop charge.

If you use more than an incumbent's bandwidth cap (which is usually quite low) you pay dearly for that. TekSavvy for example offers a 300 Gig cap or unlimited.

Bottom line heavy users can save significantly. Light users, not so much.

TZ ... those comments reflect an undue anti-American sentiment. Large corporations have the habit of getting larger to the point where they take over too many things so we end up with comments like google owns the internet.

You can't point to just Americans for that kind of behaviour. Look at our own Bell and Rogers. They own sports teams, sports arenas, printed media, broadcast media. Our Banks (TD and RBC in particular have bought up many worldwide banks and investment companies). Country boundaries are becoming more and more invisible to the corporations.

I certainly don't believe that "Google owns the internet" but much of their popularity is part of the Displace Microsoft sentiment after it was found that as good as Linux may be, it's not gaining significant inroads after all this time.

jerrycan

join:2010-11-05
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to The Shadow

I can't speak to the specific framing of your question. I can only offer my experience.

I've been a DSL customer of the following companies:
Bell, Golden Triangle, Start, Velcom, Acanac and finally/currently Teksavvy. I've been with Tek for a little over 3+ years.

I left the other companies due to poor service and/or price. I have been with TekSavvy the longest now and have been happy with their service and packages. No intention of leaving.

If there is a better ISP, I'd love to hear about...I haven't experience better yet.

Seriously...Who is better than TekSavvy?

ju1ce

join:2012-09-09
Richmond Hill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to The Shadow

The way some people speak negatively of Teksavvy reminds me of the same people who speak ill of Wind Mobile etc.

Complain about not enough competition, complain of prices too high but don't like the newer people's options. Quit complaining about Bell, Rogers etc if you aren't going to be a part of the solution to get more competition in the market.

I always hear from people.. "Well Wind is cheaper but doesn't have as much reception."

Well.. If everyone started to switch over to Wind they would have the capital to invest more money in their network and you may have to deal with a hiccup or two but atleast long term you'll be with a better company.

Same with Teksavvy.

satisfduser

@teksavvy.com
reply to The Shadow

"Is TekSavvy the worse large ISP in North America?"

Nope! I would call it the one of the BEST ones in North America.

Few reasons why for me:

1. Good monthly rates and no contracts (I pay less for more, compared to big ISPs).

2. 300GB of monthly allowance + unlimited options (no need explaining).

3. They fight for our rights (CRTC / Voltage Studios) - I care for that!

4. They have prompt direct support forum and their CEO answers questions here (not a lot of ISPs do that).

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to The Shadow

TSI the Worst?

Let me just add, I don't think they're the worst at all.

Consider what I pay today, vs. what I paid back 10 years ago for Internet service? I don't think I'm doing too bad.

$32.99+tax, 15/1 - 300GB internet....less than $40/month? Which has basically allowed me to dump Cable TV service....the Incumbent in my area (Eastlink) can't match that on a standalone basis, they want to charge me twice as much (that's right, twice as much $65.95/month for 20/1 service as a standalone) because I don't want to bundle....I don't need unlimited services, so saving on price is what is important to me, and I think TSI offers the best value for services I pay to them each month.

Again, people complain about the siliest things, a thread about volume?...That's why its near the top in forum hot topics because I think its the #2 active forum or at least it was at a point....it might have dropped a little.

And everyone adds their $0.05 (like this article for example) so it just makes it seem worse as others have said.

I like TSI, going with Bell, I wouldn't save money, and my goal is to save money at this point, so sticking with TSI works for me. And I've been a happy customer since Jan 2008 with currently 2 services from them.

balur

join:2010-04-28
kudos:1
reply to The Shadow

My perspective from TekSavvy with Western Cable. I have a 25 / 2.5 service, the local providers...

TekSavvy:
300GB limit $39.95

Shaw
250GB limit $60.00

Telus
250GB limit $60 bundled $65 unbundled.

---

Tek isn't always perfect, I've had 4 outages in a year and a half with them. 2 of them were caused by Shaw disconnecting my cable line, because they didn't want me to get free analog cable and they are too cheap to put proper filters on it.

One fixed itself in a few hours, the other was out for over a day and it was a regional outage.

Due to the attention they give this forum I've never had to talk to support (Though I screamed at Shaw when they disconnected my cable line the second time)

novatelus

join:2013-06-22
reply to The Shadow

Obviously I dont really think thats a question more of a retorical statement

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
reply to The Shadow

- Is TekSavvy the worst large ISP in "North America?"

There are 23 nations in North America. Please note that North America is composed of three subregions:

Northern America (which most confuse for North America alone), Central America (which some may confuse as a separate continent), and the Caribbean.

The 23 countries in North America are:

•Antigua and Barbuda
•Bahamas
•Barbados
•Belize
•Canada
•Costa Rica
•Cuba
•Dominica
•Dominican Republic
•El Salvador
•Grenada
•Guatemala
•Haiti
•Honduras
•Jamaica
•Mexico
•Nicaragua
•Panama
•Saint Kitts and Nevis
•Saint Lucia
•Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
•Trinidad and Tobago
•United States

Now the question remains - how does TekSavvy Canada rank on par with ALL of North America, in terms of Internet Service Provider quality, eh?

Ermagherd I hurted Ur brainz!

--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

WinstonSmith

@amcatchergames.com
reply to The Shadow

said by The Shadow:

I am not Canadian and have never used TekSavvy. However, I am a very diligent and comprehensive reader and peruse most forums every day. I may read entire posts or just check the topics and skip scan various posts.

One feature of the DSLR site is "Hot Topics." It keeps a running list of the topics being posted the most about on the site. You can narrow that list down to even "hotter" topics by under "Hot Topics" checking "Active." That shows ongoing activity in real time. It narrows the list of topics down to 4-6 typically.

With the above said there is one thing and one thing only that I see constantly or regularly in "Hot Topics" and that is the subject of "TekSavvy" related complaints. They are also consistently "Active" "Hot Topics."

So what's the deal with them? This is ongoing and not just a hiccup or temporary situation.

How can an ISP that based on input from DSLR members be so bad, (or widely complained about), and still be so presumably widely used?

Is Teksavvy the worst? I very much doubt it. The incumbents in Ontario are Bell and Rogers and they are both evil. In fact, a few years ago, Rogers was rated as the worst ISP in the WORLD. I'm not sure if they still hold that title.

The Shadow
Premium
join:2013-04-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to The Shadow

OK in the five pages of posts on the OP did anyone ever answer the main question as to why on an all most daily basis in the Active Hot Topics category for the entire site, Teksavvy is being posted about to the level that it is? (Maybe I missed the answer if it's there?)

As I type this they are the number two and three ranked "Active Hot Topics. "

Just asking.

jibby

join:2008-03-31

1 recommendation

you're not much of a reader are you

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to The Shadow

Worst ISP? Not in my book. I've been a happy customer since 2007. I upgraded to 25/10 a couple of months ago and the price and reliability are excellent. Check out the reviews and you will see they are overwhelmingly positive.

jibby

join:2008-03-31
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to The Shadow

said by The Shadow:

OK in the five pages of posts on the OP did anyone ever answer the main question as to why on an all most daily basis in the Active Hot Topics category for the entire site, Teksavvy is being posted about to the level that it is? (Maybe I missed the answer if it's there?)

As I type this they are the number two and three ranked "Active Hot Topics. "

Just asking.

here let me make some Cliffs notes on the thread for you

- you ask why one of the most active forums why its so active

- you get 4333 thread views and 87 different replies

- you don't read any of them

- you ask the same question again