The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo

Re: Ant nest located - Need payload & delivery recommendations.

Yeah, I second the pro-grade killer…. or better yet; hire a pest control expert.

I've been battling the suckers (Carpenter Ants, not Pest Control Technicians ) for a few years now. They successfully set up shop in three exterior walls. The pros came out and killed all three nests. After I remediated one area of the home that had water damage (and hence why the Ants were there), they've moved back into that space somehow. It's been a few years, so I'll have to pay again. Not a big deal though.

I'm not going to spend time and money on products that "might" work. The problem with Carpenter Ants is once you disturb a nest they branch out and create satellite nests. You don't want 'em moving from that tree branch to your walls!

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

Soaking the affected area of the tree (or the whole tree if possible), the trunk, and a 6-foot radius ont the ground will ensure there are no survivors.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E

Premium Member

The only possible problem is that in Canada you need a pesticide applicator's license to purchase pro-grade pesticides. (Unless Quebec is different than the rest of Canada in this regard)

Unless alkizmo has a license (or a friend that has one) he's left with the Home Depot grade crap.

Diatomaceous earth is a kick-ass line of defence too though, for more than just ants.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by The E:

The only possible problem is that in Canada you need a pesticide applicator's license to purchase pro-grade pesticides. (Unless Quebec is different than the rest of Canada in this regard)

If not available locally, Demon WP is widely available online, even from Amazon.ca

It's great stuff, keeps my yard clear of fire ants and everything else I'd rather not have to deal with. And it's safe for kids/pets as long as you follow the instructions.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to The E

to The E
said by The E:

The problem with Carpenter Ants is once you disturb a nest they branch out and create satellite nests. You don't want 'em moving from that tree branch to your walls!

said by The E:

That's the issue, if I can't use the big guns, then I am simply risking that colony to move closer to home.

I'm thinking that tree might be a municipal tree (within 6 feet of the curb). I'm going to check my zoning plans and see if I can get the city to handle the wet work.

Ants
@optonline.net

Ants

Anon

Call a professional. He should use a insecticidal dust (which the ants carry into the nest) or a microinjector with pyrethins which will fill the voids and reach the queen.

If he wants to use a residual spray, get another exterminator.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

I'm going to check my zoning plans and see if I can get the city to handle the wet work.

The CIA has squads that do 'wet work', but you may have problems getting them to come to your house just now. I hear they're working on eliminating a bad case of "Whistleblower Snowdenus".