Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Brazbit
Premium
join:2003-10-22
Port Orchard, WA

Looking for a scanner to scan large negatives

We spent the weekend helping my wife's 99 year old grandmother move. We came across a bit of a treasure in the form of a 30 caliber ammo box stuffed full of negatives dating between the 1920s to mid-1940. The ammo box was an ideal container as the negatives are in pristine condition.

We want to scan these to view and share them with family and then the negatives will be resealed in this excellent time capsule of an ammo box.

Our biggest challenge with scanning the negatives is the size of them. They range from about 2" x 4" to nearly 4" x 6" so a standard 35mm slide and negative scanner won't do the job.

Any suggestions for a scanner that may handle these negatives would be greatly appreciated.
--
That why they make smart word box for tell monkey hard brain hurty things.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

2 edits
Probably your most economic choice for scanning them yourself would be a decent flatbed scanner with built in transparency adapter. If you're willing to send them out ScanCafe is supposed to do good work.

A real medium format dedicated film scanner, like the Nikon LS 9000 will probably run over $3000 used.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Brazbit
My suggestion would be a backlit flatbed scanner. Use a piece of black posterboard as a frame with a piece the same size as the negative cut out of it.
It'll take a while to scan an ammo box full of negatives. About 4 scans/minute set up like this.
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

bfreas
Premium
join:2001-06-16
Franklin, KY
reply to Brazbit
I'd say that your only semi affordable solution is the Epson V700 scanner (around $600 online new). It can scan 4x5 large format negatives. I've seen some pretty impressive scans from it.

»www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/···1B178011
--
"The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark." — John Muir

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

reply to Brazbit
said by Brazbit:

We want to scan these to view and share them with family . . .

Our biggest challenge with scanning the negatives is the size of them.

Any suggestions for a scanner that may handle these negatives would be greatly appreciated.

I'd just make a light box/copy stand with a digital camera. It would be way faster and cheaper then scanning.

--
June is National Gay Pride Month

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 edit
said by Coma:

said by Brazbit:

We want to scan these to view and share them with family . . .

Our biggest challenge with scanning the negatives is the size of them.

I'd just make a light box/copy stand with a digital camera. It would be way faster and cheaper then scanning.

Excellent suggestion, if you can find a cheap old one somewhere (new can be pricey), but especially 4x6 also a sheet of glass to keep them flat. Making one certainly possible but a bit challenging for most, particularly getting the back lighting right and even..

Had a ~1x2ft one I found at a yard sale but a hurricane flood killed it before I could ever use it.
--

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
Lightbox illumination isn't always as even as it appears to the human eye and unless you just happen to have an old copy stand sitting around, they aren't cheap either. I have an old portable Acculight that goes for over $100 if you can find them.

I've seen decent results from flatbed scanners that go for as little as $200 though you probably have to be very careful placing the film. At least there are other uses for a scanner and when you're finished you can always sell it on eBay.

Premium
join:2005-03-29
kudos:3
reply to Brazbit
Take a look here for a do-it-yourself:»petapixel.com/2012/05/18/how-to-···-a-dslr/