uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dryvlyne
Far Beyond Driven
Premium
join:2004-08-30
Newark, OH

Standalone Internet pricing & supported modems

I'm currently on the Standard 15Mbps Internet tier with digital cable. I'm considering cutting TV serivce and would like to know what the price of standalone Internet service (without any incentives because I doubt they'd give those anyway since I'm an existing customer).

The second part of my question is regarding supported modems. I currently have and own a Motorola Surfboard SB5100 model modem. According to TWC's web site this isn't even officially supported on the Standard tier Internet service that I'm currently on, but it works without issue. Now if I were to upgrade to a faster tier do you think TWC would force me to move to a newer modem or would my current one still work just fine?

Thanks in advance for all responses.
--

In relative terms life is shorter than the blink of an eye. Remember that each and every day because in the end it's not about what you've done but how you've lived.

Phroz

join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME
Standard 15Mbps is $55 here (add $10 for each additional tier), but it may vary by division... not sure about that.

If you upgrade to a higher tier you will need a new docsis 3.0 modem.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to Dryvlyne
" Now if I were to upgrade to a faster tier do you think TWC would force me to move to a newer modem or would my current one still work just fine?"

Anything above standard speed would require a new modem.
For pricing I recommend you call.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dryvlyne
Far Beyond Driven
Premium
Newark, OH
reply to Phroz
said by Phroz:

Standard 15Mbps is $55 here (add $10 for each additional tier), but it may vary by division... not sure about that.

Thanks, that's about what I would guess the price would be. I'll of course contact my local office to confirm, but at least that gives me an idea.

Too bad I'd have to upgrade my modem, but to be fair I have had it for several years. Any recommendations on a new one should I decide to move up to a faster tier? I already have a router so would only be interested in a modem.

Thanks
--
In relative terms life is shorter than the blink of an eye. Remember that each and every day because in the end it's not about what you've done but how you've lived.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
Here is the approved list:

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···dem.html

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dryvlyne
Far Beyond Driven
Premium
Newark, OH
One last question... on the Standard tier Internet package my upload speed is 1Mbps, does that increase at all with the faster tiers or is it just download speeds? Thanks

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by Dryvlyne:

One last question... on the Standard tier Internet package my upload speed is 1Mbps, does that increase at all with the faster tiers or is it just download speeds? Thanks

Look on the Time Warner Website:

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···ans.html

The plans are typically:
15/1
20/2
30/5
50/5

** Kansas City Kansas has a 100/5 tier.

Anything above 15/1 requires a Docsis 3.0 modem (as stated already).

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dryvlyne
Pricing varies.. [Earthlink cable may be an option.. TWC RR reseller]
Any of the supported modems should work fine.. that being said, a relative of mine has Earthlink cable by TWC using a SB6180 cable modem. It is not officially supported, but works. EL is cheaper then TWC even for the same tier eg 15 Meg: EL $41.95 TWC $44.95 + fee for no tv / phone... . Pricing from both companies websites.

TWC charges extra if you don't have tv or phone service... and may charge for a truck roll to install a filter to block the tv service.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
Pricing does vary but also Earthlink is NOT available in all areas TWC services. There are a few national ISPs that are available everywhere support static-IPs on residential connections and servers. Also modems are also included in the price, and TWC does NOT preform the billing as they do with Earthlink. Also with an ISP that does their own billing, You could run TWC/RR and the other ISP together since you are allowed at that point to have 2 different modems.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to Matt7
said by Matt7:

said by Dryvlyne:

Look on the Time Warner Website:

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···ans.html

The plans are typically:
15/1
20/2
30/5
50/5

** Kansas City Kansas has a 100/5 tier.

Just to add, Dallas/Ft. Worth has a 75/5 tier.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Dryvlyne
Our speed tiers are the following for TWC's areas:

7.0 x 768
10.0 x 1.0
12.0 x 1.5
15.0 x 2.0
35.0 x 5.0
50.0 x 5.0

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to Phroz
said by Phroz:

I'm paying this now for standalone 50/5 for 12 months. Callem up already!

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to AMDUSER
If you downgrade and disconnect TV; TWC can not legally charge you to install the filter as it protects them and their network. It has nothing to do with you. This fee also is not in their Terms of Service for charges. But this is totally another reason on why to move HSI services away from Warner and to a 3rd party that does their own billing and such.

cousintim

join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to Matt7
said by Matt7:

In Dallas, I've been told by three different reps that Turbo (20/2) does not require a D3 modem.

My Standard (15/1) speed with a D2 modem suggests that is still true:

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
"In Dallas, I've been told by three different reps that Turbo (20/2) does not require a D3 modem."

If you look at the link I posted earlier in the thread you will see that is not true. Yes there are non D3 modems out there running turbo but ANY customer owned modems added now should be D3 if service is above standard.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

cousintim

join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX
said by hobgoblin:

If you look at the link I posted earlier in the thread you will see that is not true. Yes there are non D3 modems out there running turbo but ANY customer owned modems added now should be D3 if service is above standard.

Hob

If the OP is a current Standard customer, he is not "adding" a modem.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
"If the OP is a current Standard customer, he is not "adding" a modem."

Yes, agreed. My point was that a customer intending to subscribe to a service above Turbo and add a modem needs a D3 variety. Just trying to keep the discussion factual.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dryvlyne
Far Beyond Driven
Premium
Newark, OH
reply to Matt7
I stopped at my local office today and got put into the Extreme Tier at a 12mo promo rate of $54.99 (tax included). After 12 months it will revert to $84.99. I ended up ordering a new DOCSIS 3 modem from Amazon - a Motorola Surfboard SB6121 for $60 or so which should arrive tomorrow.

For those that are interested, here is the tier/pricing structure in my local market. These are standalone, no-promo prices.

Standard Tier - 15/1 - $54.99/mo
Turbo Tier - 20/5 - $74.99/mo
Extreme Tier - 30/5 - $84.99/mo
Ultimate Tier - 50/5 - $94.99/mo

I'm glad the upload speeds are higher than I was expecting across all of the upper tiers. Also as you can see from the pricing structure above it made sense for me to do the Extreme tier w/ promo pricing for now since that's what I would have been paying on the Standard tier w/o promo pricing.

/EDIT
Interesting... just ran a speedtest and I can tell already that I've been upgraded...

So even on my current DOCSIS 2 modem I'm seeing a better ping (about half what I usually get) and my upload is where it should be. Apparently though I won't see the full advantage on the downstream side until I get the new modem.

--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to hobgoblin
Huh? Turbo requires a DOCSIS 3 modem not just 30/5 and 50/5 (or higher ones in a few areas). I was not allowed to keep my 5100 when I moved from grandfathered Turbo (15/1) to the new Turbo at 20/2 last year.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Dryvlyne
Why did you order that particular Surfboard? Send it back and get the 6141. Don't you want ALL bonded channels that your division offers now and will upgrade to even more in the future? The 6121 can't do 6 or 8 bonded downstream channels....only 4.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Dryvlyne
Far Beyond Driven
Premium
Newark, OH
So from what I'm able to see the 6121 can offer speeds of 131.072 Mbps down & up while the 6141 can offer speeds of 343 Mbps down and 131 Mbps up. If that's true then I'm not that concerned about it... why, because I seriously doubt TWC will offer those kinds of speeds in my area anytime within the next 5 years and certainly not in a price range that I would find affordable.
--

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Huh? Turbo requires a DOCSIS 3 modem not just 30/5 and 50/5 (or higher ones in a few areas). I was not allowed to keep my 5100 when I moved from grandfathered Turbo (15/1) to the new Turbo at 20/2 last year.

Don't know about now, but this wasn't the case in 2009/2010. We had turbo w/o D3 modems.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Dryvlyne
Click for full size
It is not ONLY about speed. You want as MANY BONDED channels as TWC in your area is currently set up for. With the modem you bought it can only get 4 bonded channels downstream. MANY AREAS already have EIGHT downstream bonded channels. Why would you not want to get this? Would you not want to have a less congested connection? With a lot of bonded channels, the least congested ones will be used and that can change frequently. You want a modem that can take advantage of what TWC is offering RIGHT NOW and that you are paying for each month but don't have because the modem you bought is already outdated. My area recently moved from 4 bonded downstream channels to six and soon to eight.

»Downstream Channel Issue

»twc socal now has 8 channel bonding
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by Mele20:

Don't know about now, but this wasn't the case in 2009/2010. We had turbo w/o D3 modems.

Sure. Back then. you were on DOCSIS 1.1 or 2. Those cannot take advantage of channel bonding. This is why DOCSIS 3 is important...the channel bonding. ANY DOCSIS 3 plant can now offer channel bonding on ANY PLAN. It is foolish to say no to channel bonding because you want to avoid the monthly modem fee so you go buy a cheap modem that cannot do channel bonding at all or is crippled as to how many channels it can bond to.
--

Dryvlyne
Far Beyond Driven
Premium
Newark, OH
reply to Mele20
How can I even find out how many channels are available in my area?

Dryvlyne
Far Beyond Driven
Premium
Newark, OH
reply to Mele20
Okay, I did some more research and I'm convinced. I've cancelled my order for the 6121 and ordered the 6141 which should arrive Friday. Too bad I couldn't cancel the 6121 before it shipped and now I have to pay $8+ to ship it back. Oh well, a small price to pay for being future-proofed I suppose.

One question though... I've been reading several reviews on the 6141 on Amazon and several TWC customers have said that TWC will not push firmware updates to customer owned modems. Is this true!? If so, is there any way around that because that sounds downright anti-consumer if you ask me... they tell you it's an approved modem, but then won't keep it updated on their network... that sounds a$$ backwards to me!
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I am aware of the concern about TWC not pushing new firmware to a modem owned by the user while pushing it to TWC rented modems. Usually the concern is centered on Motorola Surfboard modems in particular the 6141. TWC CSRs (tier 1) and tier 2 - National Help Desk usually don't know anything about pushing new firmware so they may give inaccurate answers if asked. Tier 3 should be able to give a correct answer but they are not easy to reach.

It makes no sense to only upgrade firmware on rented modems as TWC wants their system running smoothly thus they would logically want all Surfboard 6141 on the same firmware. TWC rarely pushes updated firmware but they are in the process currently of pushing new firmware to the 6141 and 6121 and a couple other Motorola modems. Each division is doing this by their own time table though. Konaguy bought the same modem you bought and he posted in another thread that his firmware was updated just a day or so ago by Oceanic TWC and his is a user owned modem. The funny thing though was that his modem did not get pushed the firmware Oceanic TWC pushed to mine. He got the firmware that came on my rented 6141 instead of the newer firmware. He's on the other side of the island so it maybe that my side did the firmware push to the latest issued Motorola Surfboard firmware before his side.
--

kw0
Premium
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH
kudos:6
reply to Dryvlyne
said by Dryvlyne:

How can I even find out how many channels are available in my area?

I'm in Gahanna and can safely say that you probably don't have more than 4 bonded channels, meaning the 6121 would've been fine.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
But for how long? TWC is in the process right now of upgrading to 8 bonded channels down across the nation. So, you are recommending that the OP should buy a 6121 that I would assume he expects to use for several years at least that will not be able to get all 8 bonded channels once TWC upgrades his area? I suppose if the OP lives in the area which is the very last to be upgraded then maybe he will get his money's worth out of the 6121. So, you are saying you have knowledge that his area will be the very last in the nation to be upgraded? If so, then my advice was probably not that good but, otherwise, I believe I advised him correctly. I was really surprised to see my side of the Big Island get an upgrade to 6 bonded channels down recently. My island (and my side in particular) is usually the last to get anything. We did not get the upgrade from 10/1 to 15/1 for standard tier until a few weeks ago, whereas, almost all other divisions and Oahu got it in Nov 2012. So, I don't think it is wise of you to be so certain (unless you have direct knowledge of this because you work for TWC in his area, etc) that the OP's area will be among the very last to get 6 channel and then 8 channel downstream bonding or possibly go directly from 4 channel to 8.
--

kw0
Premium
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH
kudos:6
said by Mele20:

But for how long? TWC is in the process right now of upgrading to 8 bonded channels down across the nation. So, you are recommending that the OP should buy a 6121 that I would assume he expects to use for several years at least that will not be able to get all 8 bonded channels once TWC upgrades his area?

No, I was recommending he buy the 6121 because:

1) It's cheaper
2) The channel bonding isn't as great or fascinating as you are pumping it up to be, especially since he has the standard tier. If his internet is already stable, it will likely continue to be stable even with "older" equipment.
3) The mid-Ohio market is huge. If they started pushing channel bonding, he would have plenty of warning before they flipped the switch in his market which is about 30 miles OUTSIDE of Columbus. Even then, if he always reaches his rated speeds and is stable it likely isn't going to make a difference anyway. Regardless, he'd have plenty of time to run out and get the appropriate modem.

So, to recap: The difference between 6121 and 6141 is probably going to be negligible in his case since he's a typical user. There are people out there with super old equipment and they have no issues.

You've been thumping your chest in various threads about your island this, your island that. We don't care. The rest of America isn't in Hawaii, and just because you got upgraded doesn't mean the upgrade is around the corner for everyone else.