how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

some routing issues?

Click for full size
ok so ever since shaws problems on the 19th some weird stuff has been happening. the first point being that even after they fixed it, they still has 2 reoccurring issues with packet loss since then, wich seem to have been resolved, and even tho my connection is fairly stable right now, my line quality tests are giving some weird results, first of all my first hop time is jumping all over the place because it cant get an accurate measurement, this shows a problem to start, secondly, my test results are now between 76-78 ms instead of the 66-68 ms they were showing before, there is also 2 hops that have been added since, went from 13 to 11. and everytime i do a test it shows 1 packet lost to my router but only from central not western, and all other tests indicate 0 packet loss, my problem isnt the packet loss though, its the ping and the route shaw is taking, for example when i ping my default gateway wich is the cmts in my area, i get 7ms, and a normal trace route of 2, but as soon as i ping something else, the second hop times out and the third hop is not my default gateway or cmts, i dont get this, in the picture i posted i hit shaws calgary dns servers, it times out so i took the third hop ip and tried trace routing that and of course it times out

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
Oh my...

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

join:2010-12-16
kudos:1
reply to 18286719
I don't know all the details, but wait until the massive flooding in Calgary is over for routing issues to be looked at.

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
reply to 18286719
said by 18286719:

for example when i ping my default gateway wich is the cmts in my area, i get 7ms, and a normal trace route of 2, but as soon as i ping something else, the second hop times out and the third hop is not my default gateway or cmts, i dont get this

That's most likely just due to the way traceroute works.

If you're tracing to your CMTS (172.7.232.1) the CMTS sees your packet come in with a TTL of 1 or 0.
It generates an ICMP TTL exceeded message and sends it back to you.
Since your original trace packet had a destination of 172.7.232.1, and that's a local interface for the router (cmts) it's smart enough to use that as the source address for the ICMP message it returns to you.

If you're tracing to an address beyond your cmts, it doesn't know what to use as a source address for the TTL exceeded message that it sends back to you.
So unless it's been otherwise configured, it will use its loopback address as a source.

Often the loopback addresses for these devices (along with the cable modems) are in the RFC1918 ranges.
Usually there are filters set in the docsis config file to prevent customer premise IPs (eg, 174.7.233.30) from talking to the modem / device management networks, and vice versa.
So if that's the case, the CMTS is still sending you a TTL exceeded message with a source address of its own loopback interface, but since the source is in either the RFC1918 ranges, or others that are set aside for device management, the modem is dropping it and your computer just sees it timing out.

I don't work for Shaw so I'm making some assumptions here... but from my past experience I would say that is the most likely explanation.

said by 18286719:

my test results are now between 76-78 ms instead of the 66-68 ms they were showing before, there is also 2 hops that have been added since, went from 13 to 11

I know you'll probably disagree, but from a service provider perspective that's an insignificant change.
Routes change, latency is going to be variable.... there are no guarantees (unless you're paying for them, which you aren't).

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
This has been the best explaintation for this, that I have seen (ever).

kanuckistan

join:2013-07-08
reply to Shaw_Alex
I've been having the same issues with occasional packet loss and just higher pings in general for the past 2 to 3 weeks.

I understand my pings going up 20ms and a bit of packet loss isn't super significant for most users but for a gamer this is really frustrating.

Whistler, BC
shaw tried to tell me this to, i basically told them i would have no reason to stay with them if they did not fix it and told them it was not acceptable no mater what they said, but they will always try to say this is ok were aloud to do this etc, i think i had my case escalated twice and then it seemed to be fixed 2 days after that, my hops were back to 11 instead of 13 ,and my ping restored, dont know if it was special for me or if they just fixed it for everyone in general but i felt like they just fixed it for me, even had a tech over yesterday replacing my modem and installing new drops for my house cause apparently the old ones were shity ones from the local cable company, he also let me know about something that was underwater that isnt an underwater cable lol, pretty sure he fixed that tho

Whistler, BC
well my pings to every pingtest server other then lynwood, calgary, and edmonton are screwed, my internet feels fine but i havnt started to game yet today and it seems like either like every pingtest server is having problems or shaw is having some minor routing issues again, my line quality test on this site did show up fine tho strangely enough

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to 18286719
Switch to something other than Shaw and Telus already. You have nothing but negativity for both of them. Don't think much would suffice for you.

Whistler, BC
howbout u comment something relative to the post dumb dumb, and ur saying u dont have problems with constant routing issues?

Darhole
Premium
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
buy a dedicated line for thousands of dollars, and quit whining when your service functions just perfectly freaking fine. It is completely insignificant from an ISP perspective. You are getting what you pay for. Fork over the dollars Mr. DJ cod pro, and you can dictate your minor ping differences.
Expand your moderator at work

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB

1 recommendation

reply to 18286719

Re: some routing issues?

Stop, move along troll.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
He's only 16. Leave him to vent. Then, ignore him.

Whistler, BC
im 21 lol but thank you, ps i didnt vent untill these guys commented like trolls, then try calling me a troll lol

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Then act like it. If you're so smart, you'd figure this stuff out by yourself, instead of incessantly whining here, or trying to get validated.

Time to give it up.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Whistler, BC
believe me, if it didnt take me roughly an hour to get through to technical support almost every single time there has been an issue i wouldnt have to post here, but im always bored waiting on the phone or for them to call me back so i might aswell post and see if others r having issues or just my area
Expand your moderator at work

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to 18286719

Re: some routing issues?

Please cancel your Shaw service(s) if you are this disgruntled with their service. This way we don't have this forum spammed with clutter and garbage.