dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
abcjak
join:2012-12-18

abcjak to donkey77

to donkey77

Re: Is TekSavvy the worse larger IPS in North America?

said by donkey77:

make a post in the rogers forum, then hold your breath for the rogers CEO to actually respond.

notice how teksavvys CEO is here, and trying to do his best to accommodate your request?

2 different scenarios really. When I was with rogers, i would only need to call rogers 24hr phone support and someone would pickup pretty quickly EVERY time, any time of day. There was no need to have a 2nd service to get to an online web/help forum to get help.
I was with Bell for only a few years in the past 20 but that was the same...call, someone picks up, easy as that.

I would prefer not going to an online forum with my phone to get help, but i knew this would be the case when i switched away from a major ISP. The price difference was the main motivation and the level of customer support is the difference. ...we all know that going into it.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by abcjak:

said by donkey77:

make a post in the rogers forum, then hold your breath for the rogers CEO to actually respond.

notice how teksavvys CEO is here, and trying to do his best to accommodate your request?

2 different scenarios really. When I was with rogers, i would only need to call rogers 24hr phone support and someone would pickup pretty quickly EVERY time, any time of day. There was no need to have a 2nd service to get to an online web/help forum to get help.
I was with Bell for only a few years in the past 20 but that was the same...call, someone picks up, easy as that.

I would prefer not going to an online forum with my phone to get help, but i knew this would be the case when i switched away from a major ISP. The price difference was the main motivation and the level of customer support is the difference. ...we all know that going into it.

When talking to a TSI rep, you know they actually give a damn, unlike Rogers reps.

I'd really rather never talk to a Rogers rep ever again in my life. Having them blatantly lie to me on the phone, on their forums, on their online support chats, in private messages via their forums, and in a CRTC submission regarding my (past) issue is way more than enough for me. Never again on Rogers.

I've had issues on Teksavvy before, all which were Rogers-caused. Some which TSI couldn't do anything about (local node hardware failing, then finally failed causing an outage for the entire neighbourhood of tv, internet & phone), local node congestion..

Some which they were able to fix: Rogers botched my install - signals were out of whack, and I was seeing modem reboots every 20 minutes (I was able to time them down to the second with Martin on IRC, lawlz). They got Rogers to come back and fix the install, which fixed my signals.
It didn't fix my modem reboots while it was raining, but a further ticket with TSI had Rogers watching my account for 2 days (they came back and said "we don't see a problem"), but I guess they were still monitoring my account, as a few days later there was a one of those "Under contract to Rogers" trucks outside my building, and my modem reboots stopped.

I'd rather go with a TPIA provider any day (even with the 48hr+ turnaround time), than go with Rogers.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

My inlaws were on Rogers (native), which had issues all the time. I put my analyzer on the line and it was clearly a signal problem. I went outside and found the problem in two minutes. I waited for the tech, and made him run a new line and voila problem solved. The house was running 30 year old cable, which I was shocked...Corrosion everywhere

Well they moved to Bell, which was DSL in their neighborhood, which was almost as bad because guess what the lines were from the early 80's but Bell wouldn't fix the problem (unlike Rogers). In their area TV came from sat, phone/internet copper.

In any case Bell was a rip and had a 20GB cap (OK really -- I have FIOS for the same cost and 50/25, unlimited).

Enter Teksavvy. It is apparent from the interactions and scheduling that the issue is largely a Rogers one due to the windows. In any case the Rogers guy shows up and splits the neighbors line, and connects it to inlaws and leaves it on the grass (which made my rant easier)... In any case called back in and made them fix it properly. None of this from what I can see in a TPIA environment is something teksavvy could fix outside of employing QA checkers in more dense areas to actually QC the connections. There is of course expense with this, however it has to be outweighed by churn (or which I have no idea what the # is).

In any case still appalled by the 12/512 speed (i believe a grandfathered speed--AND AGAIN a Rogers limitation at the time), but for inlaws they are light users and for under $40 it fits the need. Their D3 modem should suffice. One thing that disturbed me about the install process is was the "fear" they instilled by not using their modem and the fact that if something went wrong you are pretty much on your own. The TS modem only has a 1 year warranty, which is sorta useless because we are talking about support. The actual hardware failure of a CM is minuscule. I would say maybe some explanation on the process or an upsell can be better handled (I was the one who put the order in). I can only assume the weak point is CM firmware and it has to be pushed by the operator..

In the states they charge $5-$7 for a modem lease and that covers warranty and issues. Maybe this would work out better from a support perspective since in the US a VERY small portion actually own their own CM. Yes you are talking about a fickle/price sensitive bunch, but to go mainstream it can't be roll your own.

In any case, the connection (Brampton) is quite stable now and works just fine. They are perfectly happy, and this beats the Rogers and Bell pricing (for a commodity no less) by a fair margin and the 300GB should suffice for a large portion, and if not there are options.

In the US, there is no TPIA, so go read how in areas without competition that customers are gouged and then you will realize while not perfect, the fact that you guys have options you should cherish... My parents pay $60 for 12/1 (no cap however) so use that as a gauge. My area has competition so I pay $80 for cable AND internet, a big contrast..

TSI Ashleigh
Premium Member
join:2013-02-24
Chatham, ON

TSI Ashleigh

Premium Member

Well said Fraoch!!! +1