uniqs
share rss forum feed

gkeawe

join:2011-03-08
Norman, OK
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

OKC Market - HSI Speed Increase

Will the OKC market see an increase in the download/upload speeds? if so, is there an approximate time frame for the increase. I'm seeing that other markets are getting the speed increases and am wondering if my market will be getting it anytime soon.

Strike

@cox.net
There have been rumors about a speed increase coming in Q3 of the year, so hopefully we'll get it in July.

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to gkeawe
I have heard the same as well and hope we get it soon. I may actually try Ultimate again, depending on what my current tier ends up at.

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to gkeawe
Yeah, I got a flyer in the mail a few days ago about a free modem upgrade for my Arris Docsis 2.0 EMTA modem. Probably for a Docsis 3.0 EMTA modem (I have phone as well).

I'm getting the speeds I should be just fine with this modem (on Premiere plan) but if they do raise the speed limits then I would need the 3.0 modem.

MarkRH
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK
Called up Cox and they are sending me a Cisco DPQ3212 Docsis 3.0 to replace my Arris one. Guy on the phone said they are proactively upgrading the modems for future speed increases in the area. Sending it to me via Fedex and to call them once I get it to activate it and then send the old one back to them.

Will have to call using cell-phone since the Cox phone will be out of commission until new modem is activated.

MarkRH
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK

1 edit
I've got the new Cisco DPQ3212 up and running and everything seems fine. Somewhat surprised I got the same IP address. I guess my router requested it and since no-one had latched on to it yet, I got it again.

Anyway, the tech on the phone (out of Kansas City, btw), actually thought we were already on the faster speeds with the Premiere being at 50Mbps down and Preferred being 25Mbps, but later confirmed that we hadn't got the increase yet for the OKC area.

Guess will just have wait til the increases actually do happen and the website is updated to see what we really have.

Strike

@cox.net
Well, I can tell you that I've been testing my net every day and the speed hasn't increased.

I'm on the ultimate plan and I'm still getting 65 down and 5 up.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to gkeawe
Still getting 32.xx down and 7.5ish up on Premier, in south OKC. No upgrade yet.

I'm assuming Premier will go to 50/10 when Ultimate increases to 150/20, but we'll see. Not sure if I'd stay on Premier or finally make the jump back to Ultimate.

Ghan_04

join:2009-11-24
reply to gkeawe
I'm in Tulsa - I think that still counts as the OKC market and should get the same speeds as OKC, correct?
I just upgraded to Premier, so a market upgrade would be some nice icing on the cake.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
said by Ghan_04:

I'm in Tulsa - I think that still counts as the OKC market and should get the same speeds as OKC, correct?
I just upgraded to Premier, so a market upgrade would be some nice icing on the cake.

no Tulsa is its own market along with the other COX cable served cities in Northeast Oklahoma. But usually OKC and Tulsa get things around the same time

Strike

@cox.net
reply to gkeawe
Well, so far, it's not looking too good for speed upgrades for us this month!

I'm just aching for it.

Strike

@cox.net

Our original plan is to upgrade our plant for higher speeds during the third quarter of this year. However, recent tragic events (the tornadoes in Moore and El Reno) have taken precedence over other concerns at the moment. While that plan will be built to a new standard, it has had a significant impact on our timetable and we cannot say for certain exactly when the upgrade for the whole state will take effect.

There's the e-mail I received from a customer support representative today. How disappointing.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to gkeawe
Crap. While it makes sense, it's not what most of us wanted to hear.

Any of the Cox Insiders have any updated ETA for when OKC should get it?

gkeawe

join:2011-03-08
Norman, OK
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to MarkRH
Yeah I recently bundled the phone with our tv and internet and a COX tech came out to install a Cisco DPQ3212, I have noticed a difference in the upload speed, they seem to be more consistent. I'm currently on the ultimate tier and can't wait for the speed increases.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
We've done that here, with the 6 tuner box. I can't wait for the android app to come out, am too IPoor to swallow an $100 cell phone bill with a local provider, CSpire. Despite I could care less about video on the go, just audio.

-Rob

Hoss
Sauters A Walrus

join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK
reply to gkeawe
said by gkeawe:

Yeah I recently bundled the phone with our tv and internet and a COX tech came out to install a Cisco DPQ3212, I have noticed a difference in the upload speed, they seem to be more consistent. I'm currently on the ultimate tier and can't wait for the speed increases.

The upload speed boost is because you are now bonding four channels upstream as opposed to just a single upstream channel. I was at one channel for years and getting about 6mbps up until they threw the four channel switch. It changed the upload speed to about 20mbps.