join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Kamus

Re: Good!

said by Kamus:

But it is now, and very soon it will cost them exactly the same to produce a 4K TV compared to a 1080p one. The Seiki 4k set that retails for about $950 is the best evidence for this.

I agree it will soon carry only a small premium even for the name brands but give it a couple 3 years before wide adoption. (Most people won't toss their recent model 1080, just to get a better picture.*
BTW I looked at a local store that was advertising Sekei brand 1080 sets, and they are TOTAL garbage, if the QC carries through to the 4K models you won't prefer them to a good 1080P Samsung, sony or LG.
In fact a poor showing by the first budget set may set the whole market back a year or 2. **

* One of the conundrums for the current electronic industry is that a decently built (what you expect from a name brand set) big screen or other electronic device will easily outlive (by many times) the shorter product cycles.
that is things continue to work AND remain USEFUL far longer then it takes the industry to come out with one or more generations of the next big thing. Plus the "greening" of the planets major consumer base means people want to buy 1 good one and have it last much longer.

** Another factor in the loss of brick and mortar sales particularly electronics is you rarely see dedicated video display rooms, with most first views/impressions of new displays in less than optimally setup venues like walmart, sears, fred meyer, target, Costco, (I left out best buy as, at least they try...somewhat) and if the first AFFORDABLE sets are badly received, the market will flounder.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

1 edit
said by tshirt:

BTW I looked at a local store that was advertising Sekei brand 1080 sets, and they are TOTAL garbage, if the QC carries through to the 4K models you won't prefer them to a good 1080P Samsung, sony or LG.

Oh, i wasn't suggesting people go out and buy the Seiki. I was merely using it as proof of concept. I'd sooner see my self spending $2,000+ on a 1080p Panasonic VT 60 than the $1,000 on the Seiki. Because if you really care about Picture quality nothing can touch the Panasonic in contrast at the moment. (something that is far more noticeable measure of picture quality, because LCD is so bad at it) For that we will have to wait until OLED or true LED TV's come down in price (or in the case of real LED TV's come out of the prototype stage)

So, as bad as the Seiki might be, it is still very good evidence of what to expect in the very near future, not just from them. But from every major player.

*EDIT* More affordable 4k TV's, this one with an MSRP of $600, but will probably street for a lot less:

»www.engadget.com/2013/06/25/seik···for-699/