share rss forum feed

G00SE
Premium
join:2003-03-07
Conroe, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

[DIRECTV] Thinking of Changing to DirecTV

I just upgraded from 722 & 612 units (Dish) to 2 Hoppers & 2 Joeys.
The new system is nice, once I learned my way around (no real 'tech' manuals supplied), but lacking in many features, and I was told an incorrect amount and will be paying over $20 instead of the $10 quoted. Plus, the units have "frozen up" 7 times now in 7 days, requiring a soft reset to get them back online. I now know what NOT to do so that the units don't freeze up, but today, I was looking through the "OnDemand" guide, and the receiver just plain lost it, and the screen went blank, requiring a reset.
Dish (IMHO) could care less about it's current customers who have been with them for years, it seems. I've emailed them several times, and always receive a more or less "standard reply". They won't even take the time to call and I told them I was willing to take the hit and terminate service.
So, that leaves me with going with cable or DirecTV, and DirecTV is the only realistic option. I'm already signed up, but not committed to
a Genie and the other units that go with it, + Xtra package.
Any advice from DirecTV subscribers ? Am I losing it, taking a monetary hit like this, to go from one provider to another ? I've had problems over the years with Dish's "voodoo" accounting practices. They have an "F" rating with the BBB and are not accredited, and DirecTV had a "B" with the BBB and were accredited, but wouldn't pay a new charge by the BBB in LA, and lost their rating, but that's being resolved currently. At least they were accredited.
Any honest thoughts, opinions, advice, etc...appreciated. I've been a really long time Dish subscriber, so this is a huge step; I just don't want to step in the wrong direct !!

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1

My parents have had DirecTV for a about a year now in Houston, and previously back from about 1999-2002 and have never really had any issues. The had a lot more issues with Dish and U-Verse.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to G00SE

A friend of mine has DirecTV and likes it very much. He lives in a rural part of Monroe County, Georgia. I visit often. If he has a bad billing experience with someone I will usually hear about it. The bad so far is signal loss when heavy rain or dense clouds are in the line of site of the antennas. He has not had any serious billing issues. After a severe storm took out his system, along with hundreds of other DirecTV subscribers, there was some confusion about him paying for replacement equipment since his was so old. No DVRs, just ancient SD receivers, set top boxes, and antennas. He was using an old RCA 4:3 rear projection television set. DirecTV agreed to replace all the satellite equipment at no charge and discount his upgrade to HD and addition of a DVR. Naturally when the first bill came everything was at full price. It took a few phone calls, e-mails, faxes, and letters, but it was straightened out before the next bill and he got his discounts. After that there have been no problems. It has been over 3 years of good service. He has an old style DVR that only records two programs simultaneously, not the new 5 program recording DVR.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to G00SE

Run, don't walk from Dish, even if you do have to pay an ETF. You might be able to get out of the ETF since you are paying for a service they are not providing although don't hold your breath. You could also probably dispute the ETF with your credit card issuer. (Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney).

As for DirecTV, I have had good experiences. I would get some good quality solid copper core coax and run it to the rooms you want receivers to the basement. At the receiver end, finish it off with a wall plate. Then when the installer arrives he'll just have to install the dish, SWM splitter, ground block and receivers. Installers tend to reuse low grade CATV wiring which causes problems for the Genie. As for the Genie, its a great system but it does have kinks to be worked out. I have a Genie and a client. I would eventually like to add a second client for a TV I added to the kitchen but DTV wants an upgrade fee until I have been a customer for six months.

Do not sign off on the job unless the install is properly grounded. Also, do not allow the installer to cut corners when running wires. Demand that they use a wall plate when a wire comes out of a wall.

I had an installer that said if an installer shows up in a rusty pickup truck with DirecTV decals on in, send them packing and call DirecTV and demand a real installer with a DirecTV van. Same with CATV installs with in house techs vs contractors.

To sum it up, I had a much better experience with DirecTV than Dish but DirecTV has not been as customer friendly in recent years but better than Comcast.

G00SE
Premium
Conroe, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Thanks for the replies, as they all contained helpful information.
I have a friend who has a Genie system, and I'm going to pay him
a visit and just play around, and look at the sytem.
OT, but, BTW, cable here is offering a $300 rebate if one switches from satellite to their system, and I could get a TIVO, which I know very little about, but I've heard they're OK. That would at least pay for the hit from Dish, and if the channel line-up is comparable, would
it be worth giving it a try ? It's a 30 day trial also, no contracts....,
so, really nothing to lose (although obviously I wouldn't retain the $300 credit, as that's spread over 12 months).

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

1 edit

DIRECTV WiFi encryption key example
FWIW here are some photos of my DIRECTV installation from March 2012. In our case we had a DIRECTV employee installer, not a contractor, do our installation. He was very professional, explained the whole process before he began and fully answered any questions I had. IMHO he did a very good job...

»sdrv.ms/1ctSCQO

There is also a copy of the DIRECTV Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) manual at that link. The reasons I included this is because the only hiccup with the installation was the fact the installer was not aware of the limitation of only being able to use a maximum 26-character alpha-numeric wireless encryption key. See see page 25 of the CCK manual and the screen shot as an example. Once we got around that issue everything has worked as advertised.

Now I don't have the Genie system so I can't speak to that but all in all we have been very pleased with DIRECTV.

G00SE
Premium
Conroe, TX

Thanks...still working on it....I'm sure Dish will be history soon though !!

The_ANoN

@bellsouth.net

1 recommendation

Eh...I went the other way around.. I switched from DirecTV to DISH and am very happy I did.. I absolutely HATE DirecTV.. Their customer service is TERRIBLE.. I had one girl put me on hold and NEVER come back to the phone (I was on hold for almost 2 hours before hanging up). Also, the issues they had with Viacom (where ALL DirecTV subscribers lost about 30 channels for a week or so) just rubbed me the wrong way.. Their STBs are sluggish and laggy. I swear it takes 15 seconds just to change channels and/or bring up the guide. (I didnt have the Genie so maybe its different with that).. I also had them "adjust" my bill so it would be lower, they even quoted me what my adjusted bill was going to be, but when I got my bills down the road, they were still higher than a 747 jet.

With that being said, DTV does have a SLIGHT edge over Dish in PQ, a few more HD channels, and their Guide interface looks more modern and clean than Dish's.. but I will take Dish's 2TB hopper with Sling and cheaper pricing anyday.

Everyone has their own experiences, though.. So who knows? You might be very happy with DTV.. I know I wasnt. Good luck with your decision

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage

said by The_ANoN :

Eh...I went the other way around.. I switched from DirecTV to DISH and am very happy I did.. I absolutely HATE DirecTV.. Their customer service is TERRIBLE.. I had one girl put me on hold and NEVER come back to the phone (I was on hold for almost 2 hours before hanging up). Also, the issues they had with Viacom (where ALL DirecTV subscribers lost about 30 channels for a week or so) just rubbed me the wrong way.. Their STBs are sluggish and laggy. I swear it takes 15 seconds just to change channels and/or bring up the guide. (I didnt have the Genie so maybe its different with that).. I also had them "adjust" my bill so it would be lower, they even quoted me what my adjusted bill was going to be, but when I got my bills down the road, they were still higher than a 747 jet.

We never have had any of those problems with DirecTV, but when we had Dish their CS was worse. Our receivers take the same amount of time to change channels as the Dish ones did. We pay close to the same as we did with Dish also.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

brawney
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD
reply to G00SE

Been with DirecTV for close to 10 years. Love it. I have Comcast for phone and internet. Don't know anything about the Genie, but we have 3 HD DVRs + 2 HD receivers, all connected via the whole home system. It works fine! Guides on all boxes are snappy. No major issues. We record more stuff that you can imagine, on all these DVRs every day and watch across all the different DVRs and receivers every evening (we watch too much TV). Works great! One DVR (the oldest one) does lose it's network connection from time to time and needs a reboot, but thats just something we live with.

I say go for it. You won't know until you try it. Looks like more people here say they like it compared to not like DirecTV. I'd say stay away from the cable guy.

The_ANoN

@charter.com
reply to ilikeme

said by ilikeme:

We never have had any of those problems with DirecTV, but when we had Dish their CS was worse. Our receivers take the same amount of time to change channels as the Dish ones did. We pay close to the same as we did with Dish also.

Like I said, not everyone is going to have the same experience.. Ive talked to people who are much happier with Dish than DirecTV and vice versa. From my first month with Dish, I can tell you theyre better.. but its only been 1 month so it could get worse. Right now, I prefer Dish.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to The_ANoN

said by The_ANoN :

but I will take Dish's 2TB hopper with Sling and cheaper pricing anyday.

Meh. I've been running a 2TB RAID1 array on the back of my HR24 for going on 2 years now and it works great.

The_ANoN

@charter.com

said by ke4pym:

Meh. I've been running a 2TB RAID1 array on the back of my HR24 for going on 2 years now and it works great.

So are you saying you had to add on storage because your internal HDD ran out of space? How much did you spend on that 2TB RAID? Id rather have the space right out of the box. Cool setup you have nonetheless..

DirecTV supplied me with a measly HR23 as a new customer.. that HR23 died on me, and they sent me a refurb HR22 as a replacement.. Both models ran slower than molasses.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by The_ANoN :

said by ke4pym:

So are you saying you had to add on storage because your internal HDD ran out of space? How much did you spend on that 2TB RAID? Id rather have the space right out of the box. Cool setup you have nonetheless..

DirecTV supplied me with a measly HR23 as a new customer.. that HR23 died on me, and they sent me a refurb HR22 as a replacement.. Both models ran slower than molasses.

No, I had the 2TB array on the back of the HR24 before much could ever be recorded onto the internal drive. When you plug in external storage, the internal storage goes offline and the receiver ends up with a whole new personality.

I don't recall how much it all was. I got the cabinet from OWC: »eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTec···QKIT0GB/ and a pair of 2TB drives. Don't remember exactly which ones I got. Could look them up if you really want to know.

Don't waste your time with +2TB because the current kernel can't address anything over 2TB.

It was an utter pain in the rear to get it working. I formatted both drives on a Windows box. Then put them into the cabinet, let it figure life out then hooked it up to the DVR and it saw it. Been running flawlessly since.

Anything less than a HR24 is just going to suck. I'm interested in getting the HR44. But man. I've got like 2 years of Bones shows stored up I'm trying to work through. And that's just the start....

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

The 2TB limit has been resolved -Some folks are running 9TB Arrays - Which means at some point when you loose the Main DVR you still loose all the content no matter the size or backup.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by westdc:

The 2TB limit has been resolved -Some folks are running 9TB Arrays - Which means at some point when you loose the Main DVR you still loose all the content no matter the size or backup.

True. But 99.9% of the time, the failure of the DVR is usually the HD.

A quick search seems to reveal that HR24's are still limited to 2TB. While the HR*4 do not seem to have such limitations.

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL
reply to The_ANoN

said by The_ANoN :

With that being said, DTV does have a SLIGHT edge over Dish in PQ, a few more HD channels, and their Guide interface looks more modern and clean than Dish's.. but I will take Dish's 2TB hopper with Sling and cheaper pricing anyday.

Everyone has their own experiences, though.. So who knows? You might be very happy with DTV.. I know I wasnt. Good luck with your decision

I would say it varies from customer to customer. I had alot of issues with DISH when I had it as far as customer service and DIRECTV has always been good when it came to customer service. I have 2 HDDVR's (HR22) and 2 HD receivers (H24) and they change channels in 2 seconds or less. I complained just recently about them raising their prices and threatened to leave and got $20 off my bill for 12 months plus I bundled my internet through them and got another $10 off. I am pretty happy so far. And the HD PQ is very good.