tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Seattle gigabit as seen...

...by the technically confused.
"This will be achieved by placing fiber transmitters on top of 38 buildings across Seattle. These transmitters can beam fiber internet... "
I'm sure at least 20 "civic groups" would express concern about the FIBER beams, from the tops of extremely visible buildings.
I wonder what other details Stacey Higginbotham left out/bobbled/ignored? like the millions seattle already sunk into failed broadband or the many millions that fiber network they are handing over really cost the tax payers.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Brought to you by your friendly, neighborhood Wi-Fiber ...what a Marvel-ous idea!

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by GlennLouEarl:

Brought to you by your friendly, neighborhood Wi-Fiber ...what a Marvel-ous idea!

It's a good use (hopefully Gig squared has MORE than the $200mil and can keep it going), the city has had laser and fixed Wi-Fi to local network attempts before from the same sites/buildings before that have thrown more dollar bills, then bytes off of them.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

like the millions seattle already sunk into failed broadband or the many millions that fiber network they are handing over really cost the tax payers.

I'm curious, how much did Seattle's fiber network cost that it's leasing to Gigabit Squared?
said by GIGAOM :

licensed and unlicensed spectrum between 11 and 60 Gigahertz to deliver a gigabit or more between the rooftops of about 39 buildings that make up Seattle's public housing.

So, it appears that with the "rooftop wireless Gbps", it'll be shared by all subs in the buildings? Are they paying the same as those lucky few that may actually receive FTTH?
said by GIGAOM :

Ansboury says he thinks the Wi-Fi will help drive customer acquisition because people can see how fast a gigabit really is - although he estimates the Wi-Fi network might only offer speeds between 600 and 900 Mbps.

I'd love to see this 600-900 Mbps with Wi-Fi.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

the city has had laser and fixed Wi-Fi to local network attempts before from the same sites/buildings before that have thrown more dollar bills, then bytes off of them.

Did they use sharks with those lasers? Nope. There's your problem.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
Here's their site, »gigabitseattle.com/ the wireless is dedicated fixed wireless. with an Ethernet connection to each home served.
FAQ specifically says "not Wi-Fi"
cost of the city fiber has been well buried, along with a lot of dark fiber, and previous mayors who started and stopped various access projects over the years. from a geographic standpoint they choose some difficult targets while skipping some very easy to serve ones, other then the downtown and UW (both of which have plenty of fiber) the city also has rights for LOS networks in many of the tallest buildings (an earlier plan call for laser and fixed wireless backhaul to various neighborhoods hubs that would serve homes by various methods.)

openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Yes, the PtMP radio connections fed from the rooftops of 39 buildings will use licensed spectrum and be converted to Ethernet at the premises. I was specifically talking about Ansboury's claims of Wi-Fi achieving 600-900 Mbps per connection, "showing consumers what gigabit is like and driving subscriber growth".

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Just one of the many reasons I'm am suspicious about ANY of their claims. Yes with a/c it is possible to a couple people at once, but probably not whole neighborhoods.
AND they started with these claims 3+ years ago well before a/c was done.