join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone

Re: Monitor Advice: 2560x1600 resolution

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Krisnatharok:

If I had to do it again, I'd probably find three 24" or 271080p/1200p displays " with edgeless bezels and put them in portrait mode.

You don't like your Auria? Or you just prefer surround type setups instead?

There's nothing wrong with the Auria, but it doesn't leave me much of an upgrade path. No-way I could drive three 1440p monitors on two GPUs, even if it's two Titans.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

2 edits

TRU

I ordered a EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 3GB(»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14130917) yesterday. I got it for a total of $659.99 with 3-day shipping. That was about the best price I could find for that model. The next best was for around $730. I did not get the one with the custom ACX cooler because I've heard good things about the reference Nvidia cooler(and because it's sold out). It looks high quality enough that I'm going to just give that a go for eventually overclocking it.

Now, I need to pick a very good monitor. I'm selling the 2 24" 1080p monitors I'm currently using. They first came out about 4-5 years ago, 60Hz, nothing special really. For work, they have done the job. I've decided to move to biggest size monitors, away from 24" and to 27" renewing my goal of eventually having 3 of these for surround in a few years time.

My question is though, what would be better: 27" 120Hz/3D gaming monitor, like this ASUS VG278H here(»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· odYj8AcQ) which also includes 3D Glasses(Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit). OR a 27" 2560x1440 running at 60Hz, like the ASUS PB278Q(»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 24236294) identical to the monitor Ghastlyone purchased. Basically, whats better for gaming and would really give me more enjoyment? 27" 2560x1440 @ 60Hz OR 27" 1920x1080 @ 120Hz w/3D capabilities.

At the moment, this is the conundrum. I'm thinking if I'm eventually aiming for a 3-4 monitor surround setup I might be better off sticking with 1920x1080p compared to 2560x1440.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Ah man, you shoulda went with the ACX cooler I think those reference coolers end up running around 10C hotter.

On your monitor, I'd go for the higher resolution, higher game detail, better color reproduction, etc. over 120hz. After every thing I've researched, there's a lot of posts out there with people saying once they switched to 1440/1600p they can never go back to 1080. It's just that amazing looking.

Keep in mind also with running 120hz display, unless your GPU is pushing out a constant 90-120fps in every game, then that 120hz monitor is a waste.

I don't know how true this is, but I've read online some people say that when their GPUs are only pushing 60fps on a 120hz monitor, then it looks like crap.

On the other hand, if you're interested in going multi monitor in the future, then you'll want to avoid 1440/1600p. Because like Kris said, even a couple Titans probably couldn't even run that properly.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU
I have played on both and I say the higher resolution. 120 hz helps be a bit ahead on multiplayer fps games like bf3. Higher res is better on everything though IMO. But overall Its really personal preference.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

1 edit

TRU to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Ah man, you shoulda went with the ACX cooler I think those reference coolers end up running around 10C hotter.

I'll see how the reference 780 I purchased overclocks and if it sucks, I'll try and get it replaced and maybe get the ACX. Unfortunately, the ACX was just sold out. So I purchased the only Superclocked version that was in stock. I think I took the last one too cuz it's sold out now as well.

I've heard of some modifications that people have done with great results to the 600 series cards where they installed Corsair closed-loop coolers on their cards with a specialized custom bracket. Not sure if it was carried over the 700 series or not.

I think I'm going to atleast try the 120Hz monitor. I've never tried one, I've only ever had 60Hz. Nor have I ever checked out 3D either. I'll give it a try with a number of different games to see if I can tell a noticeable difference. If I dont like it, I can always return it.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Krisnatharok

MVM

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Krisnatharok:

If I had to do it again, I'd probably find three 24" or 271080p/1200p displays " with edgeless bezels and put them in portrait mode.

You don't like your Auria? Or you just prefer surround type setups instead?

There's nothing wrong with the Auria, but it doesn't leave me much of an upgrade path. No-way I could drive three 1440p monitors on two GPUs, even if it's two Titans.

Kris man,….

All you have to do is think outside of the box bro.

I was thinking along the same lines as you before. Even before that I was thinking there was no way I could fit three 27" monitors on a desk of which I didn't even have a desk to speak of at the time. Along with limited space for a desk.

So first of all the ugly reality is that you could have two or three Auria EQ276W monitors and simply run them at a lower resolution (and game settings) if your GPU processing power is at a deficit. You also could add cheaper lower resolution 1920x1080 27" monitors to your existing Auria and run the Auria at 1920x1080 for games. Not pretty but it should work.

Anyway, I solved my minor obstacles with a series of epiphanies when I wasn't actively thinking about the issues. First was to define the work space. Second was to clear the work space which required me to wall mount my HDTV. I couldn't find a desk with the dimensions I needed so the answer was to custom build one. I used two half hight file cabinets, some wood and some laminated flooring to make it look good. Then everything else just fell into place. Its a great work and play space. This is for the triple Asus 1920x1080p 27" monitors which are angled slightly to fit the space and to give a better surround experience.

I have a quad monitor stand (clamp on type 2x2 with the top or bottom 2 removable) but I'm not currently using it. I might in the near future.

I do use one of the Auria EQ276W monitors on a different system but not much anymore. My Wife uses the other on her system. I have no problem switching from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 or 5760x1080 and I'm not sure why others would.

Anyway, due to the realization that the Auria has fallen into occasional use it occurred to me that I could in theory consolidate a bit. I could just use a KVM which is known to work well with the Auria even at 2560x1440 and then add the Auria to the triple monitor setup for a quad monitor setup. It should work but there are issues with doing so. It would be quad for only one system and the other system would be connected only to the monitor on the KVM obviously). I would have to rotate all four monitors to portrait mode (vertically) due to space limitations. I would have to force the Auria to 1920x1080 for uniformity. This type of configuration isn't good for a lot of games since the focal point would be between the two center monitors in a quad setup rather then a single center monitor in a triple monitor setup.

I don't think I want to go from 5760x1080 to 4320x1920. I just don't think I would like it but I'm not sure until I try it.

If I buy another dual stand monitor mount I could give it a go though. The one I was looking at jumped from $33 to about ~$50 so I won't be doing anything anytime soon.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU
I can't get over how shitty the bezels look on most surround setups. Unless you go with some monitors with super slim bezels.

The majority of ones I've seen online, they just look bad and and for me, would be very distracting.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
I guess I could pick up two of the EQ276L's and just run 5760x1080... I dunno. I would need to redo my entire desk and setup, much like you did.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Krisnatharok:

I guess I could pick up two of the EQ276L's and just run 5760x1080... I dunno. I would need to redo my entire desk and setup, much like you did.

Then again, I could be generous and just setup my Wife with a dual Auria EQ276W 27" 2560x1440 setup (5120x1440) on her work PC. These monitors are already side by side so I wouldn't even need to move them.

I think a lot of this stuff is mental. I clearly see the differences going from one monitor setup to another but it isn't a problem for me personally. It probably could be a problem if I made it a problem though. That is to say if I went out of my way to make it a problem,......

Still I could almost see buying something like an Asus PQ321 4K but it would have to be closer to ~$2000 or so rather then quasi ~$4000. Or maybe an UHDTV 4K if the price and specs are right,.....