spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Eskay

join:2012-02-04

Voltage court case

Wasn't that court case supposed to happen today?
Was it postponed or did everybody forget about it?
Am I having a senior moment?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

1 edit

Court case Tweets

Watching it, on Twitter Follow

@RessyM
@pandersen

Your best bet is TweetDeck then you can set up the columns side by side and watch the twitter streams on your desktop. - Or otherwise open each one in its own tab on firefox or your browser of choice and keep hitting "New tweet". lol Trust me TweetDeck is much easier.

Likely after the court case is done we'll be here to fill in DSLr as much as we're able.

--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Eskay

Re: Voltage court case

If you had a 2013 macbook air, you wouldn't need an electrical socket :P

I'm tempted to sell my 2012 model and use the cash to buy a 2013 model. Might be cheaper to sell/buy every year than buy a new one every three years.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
If you could only lease them and transfer your hard drive to each subsequent lapslab eh?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Eskay
Yeah, might be nice.

dgass

join:2007-09-27
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

If you could only lease them and transfer your hard drive to each subsequent lapslab eh?

With Time Machine why would you need to take your hard drive with you.. besides the new PCIe SSD's are a large part of the desire to get the new model no?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Eskay
Not really, it might be faster than the previous SSDs, but not enough to care. The battery life is what attracts me, really.

EDIT: I've not used Time Machine, but it seems to me that I could just grab any external drive, make a Time Machine backup to it, wipe the machine, and restore to the new one.
--

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
said by Guspaz:

EDIT: I've not used Time Machine, but it seems to me that I could just grab any external drive, make a Time Machine backup to it, wipe the machine, and restore to the new one.

Yup, its more or less that simple.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca
Expand your moderator at work

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Inssomniak

said by Inssomniak:

said by Guspaz:

I'd much rather not back up all my stuff in the "cloud" wheres its available to the various Intelligence divisions of the world. Thanks.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to Eskay
I'm going to have to read the transcript but by the live tweeting by @RessyM & @panderson (awesome job by both!) CIPPIC really really botched the arguments. They seemed unprepared, unfocused, and failed to attack several very key points (legal not technical points).

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

said by Inssomniak:

said by Guspaz:

I'd much rather not back up all my stuff in the "cloud" wheres its available to the various Intelligence divisions of the world. Thanks.

Not to derail the thread even farther, but Time Machine backup works with your own hard drive, not the "cloud"

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Not really, it might be faster than the previous SSDs, but not enough to care. The battery life is what attracts me, really.

Surprised you haven't. Time machine is something i wish windows would also come up with. Time machine is one of the easiest, most successful and 100% guaranteed full backup there is for mac.

Insert external drive. Hit backup to time machine.
Insert mac os cd. Hold C
From menu select "Restore from backup"
It'll do the rest and you'll be back to exactly how you were every time without hassle.

I've used a lot of backup software over the years. I only wish Microsoft made something as good as Time Machine. I still use it on my 2010 MBP

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Eskay
Yeah, iCloud is somewhat primitive on OSX right now, you can put documents in it but not backups.

For iOS devices, though, you can do the full backup to iCloud. And that part is nice, not needing to have your device locked to a single computer anymore. You can just make an iCloud backup and restore it to a new device and you don't have to mess with a PC. Really simple.

Media that you load yourself via iTunes is still locked to a certain PC, but anything that is purchased, that doesn't need the PC, and anything you load onto the iPhone via the iTunes file sharing (like if you load an MKV file to play in Infuse) can be read/written from any PC. They aren't backed up by iCloud, though.
--
Expand your moderator at work

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Eskay

Back on topic.....

Cippic's 'expert' witness was deposed by Voltage and didn't come off too well when you read the transcript.

I understand that a copyright holder shouldn't be ripped off.
I also understand that an IP address isn't a person.

Maybe what the judge should rule is that due to Voltage/Canipre's refusal to answer questions during their deposition, and Voltages prior history in other jurisdictions of 'trolling' and 'prospective billing', and keeping the new Canadian copyright legislation in mind, that Voltage be limited to charging $100 per infringement, and that it's an all or nothing one-time offer from the court. If Voltage accepts then they are limited to sending out a settlement letter for $100 to those identified. If N of the identified parties send a cheque, then Voltage is up $100 x N. If X of the identified parties don't respond, then Voltage may not pursue the matter with those parties any further - including but not limited to publishing names, reporting to credit bureaus, etc..... nothing whatsoever. And maybe that the settlement letters will be send under court supervision....meaning that Voltage never sees the parties names.

If Voltage doesn't accept the foregoing, then the case gets dismissed - with costs awarded to TSI/Cippic.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Eskay
Voltage owes TSI costs no matter what the outcome is, because TSI is not the one being sued.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by Guspaz:

Voltage owes TSI costs no matter what the outcome is, because TSI is not the one being sued.

The thing though is that Voltage doesn't need to make Teksavvy 'whole', ie, give all costs back to TSI.

There'll be another hearing about that. And TSI was insisting they get their money BEFORE Voltage gets subscriber info.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit
said by resa1983:

said by Guspaz:

The thing though is that Voltage doesn't need to make Teksavvy 'whole', ie, give all costs back to TSI.

There'll be another hearing about that. And TSI was insisting they get their money BEFORE Voltage gets subscriber info.

I still have to read your twitter to see what happened but i'll wait to see updates on here too. Seems you and other guy don't get along too well.

edit: other guy being Jason Koblovsky

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

1 edit
said by Tx:

said by resa1983:

said by Guspaz:

I still have to read your twitter to see what happened but i'll wait to see updates on here too. Seems you and other guy don't get along too well.

edit: other guy being Jason Koblovsky

Jason used to be my co-founder for the Canadian Gamers Organization.

Frankly, I still have some animosity towards him due to his previous actions towards me which strained things between us. He completely shattered my trust in him with his actions towards me.
--

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
That explains the tension i feel reading the posts between the two of you. Thanks for explaining at least

KPaul

join:2007-02-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Eskay
good article

»torrentfreak.com/copyright-troll···-130625/

Canadian anti-piracy group Canipre is currently working on behalf of Voltage Pictures to obtain the identities of individuals said to have pirated the company’s movies. As the process moves through the legal system the Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic (CIPPIC) just had the opportunity to cross-examine Canipre owner Barry Logan. It was a bad-tempered encounter in which Canipre refused to answer almost three dozen questions. They did answer some though, with interesting results.
--
I hate rogers and their CRAP tech. support... But, MAJOR kudos to the TekSavvy team!

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Eskay
That made Torrentfreak before the hearing this morning - saw it on my feed. Mentioned it while standing around chatting with people during the break, and they weren't surprised.
--

IHateCtrolls

@rogers.com
So what's going on.. I'm kind of confused does it sound like Voltage is going to lose this case or are they more likely to win this one?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
The judge will have to make a decision in the weeks ahead. Today's session was all recorded so there should be a full transcript of it that everybody can read..
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to MaynardKrebs
"Back on topic....."

Thankfully, yes.

"Cippic's 'expert' witness was deposed by Voltage and didn't come off too well when you read the transcript."

Say what?!? You mean Canipre's 'expert' witness was deposed by Cippic and didn't come off too well.

Here's a link to the transcript: »www.cippic.ca/sites/default/file···RIPT.pdf

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to Eskay
For an interesting take on this matter, read Howard Knopf's blog, EXCESS COPYRIGHT. The most interesting quote from his latest post (»www.excesscopyright.blogspot.ca/···013.html) is, "the real issue here in many respects is Teksavvy's vigorous and expensive effort to date apparently directed at not taking a position on protecting its customers' privacy rights, and instead relying on a law school clinic to do the job.". I can't help but agree "vigorously" with him. Distributel stood up to trolls by raising fundamental technical issues. Why is Teksavvy hiding behind the skirts of a law school clinic?

SkidRow1

@rogers.com
I for one will not be moving to Teksavvy anytime soon after thoughts about it,it's not an option anymore. Now not to say that the one of the big companies I'm with now *caugh* Rogers would be any better at fighting for us but that day has yet to come, until then I'm sticking with Rogers for now.

Jaxom

join:2012-03-10
East York, ON
reply to Eskay
With a name like SkidRow you had better move away from Rogers. You really think that corporation will protect you? They would already given Voltage your personal info, passwords, credit card numbers and your first born.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
reply to bimmerdriver
said by bimmerdriver:

For an interesting take on this matter, read Howard Knopf's blog, EXCESS COPYRIGHT. The most interesting quote from his latest post (»www.excesscopyright.blogspot.ca/···013.html) is, "the real issue here in many respects is Teksavvy's vigorous and expensive effort to date apparently directed at not taking a position on protecting its customers' privacy rights, and instead relying on a law school clinic to do the job.". I can't help but agree "vigorously" with him. Distributel stood up to trolls by raising fundamental technical issues. Why is Teksavvy hiding behind the skirts of a law school clinic?

Problem is they filed just hours after NGN put their file permanently on hold as a result of this case. They hadn't received notice of NGNs filing when they filed. So in effect, Distributel's sticking up for their customers is for naught as it was already on hold. They might even need to refile it when the case reactivates, as the case was on hold..

Not to mention, NGN has subscriber data already for affected users.
--