spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xmd
join:2009-06-25
Carlsbad, CA

xmd

[TWC] SOHO Load Balancing Routers

I'm currently on TWCBC 15/2 for about $100/month. I need at least one static IP address, and want more speed. However, I'm unhappy with the TWCBC rates which start at $350/month for their "WideBand" service with static IPs.

I've noticed that there are several consumer/SOHO load-balancing routers out there, in particular Peplink and TP-Link:

* PepLink Balance 20 (about $300)
* TP-Link R470T+ (about $50)

So what I'm thinking of now is keeping the 15/2 static IP account with TWCBC, and then adding a second line, either a consumer-grade 50/5 from TWC, or an ATT Uverse 24/3 business line.

The total cost of this would still be well under what TWCBC wants, and (if I were to make the 2nd line UVERSE) would provide some redundancy (though I understand that neither of these routers can provide failover on the incoming connections, which is OK).

Anyone have experience with doing this?
SpookyTunes
join:2002-07-29
Woodside, NY

SpookyTunes

A few years ago, I used a SonicWall TZ 170 with both a TWC 10/0.5 connection (1 static IP), and a DSL 3/3 (small static subnet) line. I used the firewall rules to send port's 80 and 443 over TWC, and the rest over DSL. This worked out well for traffic, and if one circuit failed, the other took over. Even the site-to-site VPN tunnel with our data center was able to failover. SonicWall VPN client can also support secondary IP. I did finally ditch it when FIOS became available and got a 50/20 connection with 12 IP's for about the same cost as just the TWC line.