Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU

Re: Monitor Advice: 2560x1600 resolution

Ah man, you shoulda went with the ACX cooler I think those reference coolers end up running around 10C hotter.

On your monitor, I'd go for the higher resolution, higher game detail, better color reproduction, etc. over 120hz. After every thing I've researched, there's a lot of posts out there with people saying once they switched to 1440/1600p they can never go back to 1080. It's just that amazing looking.

Keep in mind also with running 120hz display, unless your GPU is pushing out a constant 90-120fps in every game, then that 120hz monitor is a waste.

I don't know how true this is, but I've read online some people say that when their GPUs are only pushing 60fps on a 120hz monitor, then it looks like crap.

On the other hand, if you're interested in going multi monitor in the future, then you'll want to avoid 1440/1600p. Because like Kris said, even a couple Titans probably couldn't even run that properly.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

1 edit

TRU

said by Ghastlyone:

Ah man, you shoulda went with the ACX cooler I think those reference coolers end up running around 10C hotter.

I'll see how the reference 780 I purchased overclocks and if it sucks, I'll try and get it replaced and maybe get the ACX. Unfortunately, the ACX was just sold out. So I purchased the only Superclocked version that was in stock. I think I took the last one too cuz it's sold out now as well.

I've heard of some modifications that people have done with great results to the 600 series cards where they installed Corsair closed-loop coolers on their cards with a specialized custom bracket. Not sure if it was carried over the 700 series or not.

I think I'm going to atleast try the 120Hz monitor. I've never tried one, I've only ever had 60Hz. Nor have I ever checked out 3D either. I'll give it a try with a number of different games to see if I can tell a noticeable difference. If I dont like it, I can always return it.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

I can't get over how shitty the bezels look on most surround setups. Unless you go with some monitors with super slim bezels.

The majority of ones I've seen online, they just look bad and and for me, would be very distracting.