Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958

Re: [HSI] actual 30meg download speeds

said by cork1958:

I still disagree. Download managers suck and do not increase speed. Sure, you may connect to more servers and maintain your max speed, but they DO NOT increase the speed.

Then again, they're only good for using with torrent sites, or places you have the option to connect to multiple servers, but where does that happen in the real world?

I don't use torrents. My download manager is typically used for files from file hosts (ie: DepositFiles, Rapidgator, etc.). You can increase/decrease the connections while the download is taking place and watch the speed increase/decrease.

But feel free to disagree.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Servers can be configured to limit the speed available to any one given connection. If it's based on the connection and not IP then yeah using a download manager to open multiple connections can indeed increase speed, but only because one connection wasn't maxing out your available bandwidth (and the file host sites you mention are notorious for doing that to try and force you to buy their premium service).
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to JimE

to JimE
said by JimE:

You can increase/decrease the connections while the download is taking place and watch the speed increase/decrease.

But feel free to disagree.

As a free user, with an unregistered IP address, most DDL sites will limit you to single threaded download, regardless of what the manager says(in my case, they always stall on those "new" connections and it only works from the first one, saying "1 thread per download, 1 download per IP for non-registered users".