spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

help_plz

@comcast.net

Newest firmware for Arris TG852G, BUGGY!

Hello guys,

So Comcast completely went out today for a couple hours and when it finally came back on I couldn't connect with my laptop over wireless, key issue? Connected wired and logged into the gateway and it looks like it has downloaded new firmware:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59C

I don't know what I had before but I'm guessing it was the 7.4.x version, which has been stable as a rock for me.

Looks like a couple months ago there was an original 7.6.59 version which was pushed out and then quickly rolled back due to wifi issues:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Netwo···/1635313

»Arris TG862 New Firmware released

I missed that one but now I've got the "C" update referenced in the link below and I think it still has issues!

»New Firmware Pushed to My Arris TG-862

I'm having the same exact issue as this guy:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Netwo···7#M52886

I also have a random 63 ASCII character key and it's no longer working since the firmware update. The settings in the gateway did not change, other than the new options the firmware added. The full wireless key used to show in the WPS settings window, in the gateway configuration. Now it just shows the appropriate number of *** characters. So the key is still there and unchanged in the gateway, it's just not being accepted.

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C655 with Windows 7 Home Premium with an Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter.

This firmware update also looks like it is draining the battery down in the gateway! Couple hours ago when I first started looking into this it was 38 or 39%. I thought that was weird because the power never went out, just the connection. Now it is at 26% ?? Why is it dropping so fast when it used to stay topped off?

help_plz

@comcast.net
Noticed this also:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Netwo···5#M52713

»Re: New Firmware Pushed to My Arris TG-862

Same issue here -- a second blank SSID which displays as "Other Network" in Windows. Is this the new "xfinitywifi" thing or something else? Either way I want to disable this!

Thanks for any help and feedback guys!

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Ya, someone with a TG852G and a TG862G in my neighborhood are displaying "Other Network" and Inssider 3 reports it as a blank SSID.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

3 recommendations

reply to help_plz
In my opinion, just go to Best Buy and pick up a Motorola 6141 and a separate router. All in one gateways have been known to have bugs that affect performance. And I am biased in favor of owning your own modem as you lose the $7 monthly modem charge.

If you have CDV, purchasing a modem is a little more tricky but doable.

Go with the separate modem and router, they work much better.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

help_plz

@comcast.net
said by IowaCowboy:

In my opinion, just go to Best Buy and pick up a Motorola 6141 and a separate router. All in one gateways have been known to have bugs that affect performance. And I am biased in favor of owning your own modem as you lose the $7 monthly modem charge.

I used to do this, separate modem and router, from about 1999 (when we first got cable Internet) until around 2009 or 2010, sometime after we switched to their digital voice and got a gateway. In that time I've changed a good bit and just plain don't care about tinkering with equipment anymore. Used to really enjoy that stuff but as I get older I just don't have the energy or enthusiasm, and the less equipment the better!

I had read about issues/complaints with gateways in general, and potential flakiness, but I've not had -any- problems with my 852 up until this newest firmware. Like I said it has been solid as a rock.

help_plz

@comcast.net
reply to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

Ya, someone with a TG852G and a TG862G in my neighborhood are displaying "Other Network" and Inssider 3 reports it as a blank SSID.

I'm really glad you responded to this because yours was one of the posts I had linked to! Looks like the 852 and 862 must share the same firmware. All those threads I linked to are about the 862 but I'm having the same exact problems.

My gateway now sits pegged at 0% battery power, with a blinking light.

Would sure be nice to hear something about all this from a Comcast rep.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by help_plz :

said by Darknessfall:

I'm really glad you responded to this because yours was one of the posts I had linked to!

Ah, I didn't actually see the link until now . I'm not 100% sure the models are correct or not. I am mainly going off max rates listed by Inssider. One has a max rate of 130 Mbps wireless(Which I assume is a TG862 due to what I saw from someone who had it and it's 2x2/20 MHz mode) and another had a max rate of 405 Mbps which seems like a TG852 due to it's antennas(2x3).

In InSSIDer 3, the mac addresses are the same of the main AP but with different first two numbers(Ex. Main = 00:...... Other Network: 02:..........). Also, not sure if it's just part of InSSIDer but when I click on the unnamed networks in the program it shows for example, "_D7:42:F3" for the last parts of the mac address.

On a side note, I think this firmware may have caused issues for the person with the assumed TG852. Either they keep changing wireless channels or they keep trying to reboot(Unless the Arris has auto channel changing during normal operation and not just on boots/setting changes now). That thing has been changing channels about every two days while it's been sitting on channel 1 since forever before the Other Network/new firmware showed up for that one.

help_plz

@comcast.net
reply to help_plz
So nobody really knows anything else huh?

Update:
Finally got around to calling Comcast support about disabling this new second wireless connection. Don't bother calling them for this -- it will just raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels! Nobody in tech support really knows anything yet about this new home hotspot program. First three guys just sent me to Signature Support (aka Purgatory, where support calls go to languish and die). Fourth guy though was actually super helpful, and really went the distance to check on this for me, including calling me back twice after resetting gateway. Thanks Travis!

We ended up just logging into the Comcast Customer Care site and there is an option to disable it, under "My Services" and over on the right underneath the equipment info. Just do it there if you want to disable this on your gateway. I'm still waiting to see that blank SSID disappear. May take 24 hours or so we figured.

Yes got confirmation this new blank SSID is the Xfinity Wifi Home Hotspot.

Here is the Comcast FAQ about this new program:
»www.comcast.com/wifi/neighborhood/faqs.htm

Still don't know anything about those wireless key issues.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by help_plz :

So nobody really knows anything else huh?

Update:
Finally got around to calling Comcast support about disabling this new second wireless connection. Don't bother calling them for this -- it will just raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels! Nobody in tech support really knows anything yet about this new home hotspot program. First three guys just sent me to Signature Support (aka Purgatory, where support calls go to languish and die). Fourth guy though was actually super helpful, and really went the distance to check on this for me, including calling me back twice after resetting gateway. Thanks Travis!

We ended up just logging into the Comcast Customer Care site and there is an option to disable it, under "My Services" and over on the right underneath the equipment info. Just do it there if you want to disable this on your gateway. I'm still waiting to see that blank SSID disappear. May take 24 hours or so we figured.

Yes got confirmation this new blank SSID is the Xfinity Wifi Home Hotspot.

Here is the Comcast FAQ about this new program:
»www.comcast.com/wifi/neighborhood/faqs.htm

Still don't know anything about those wireless key issues.

One of my biggest complaints about Comcast is they don't train their CSRs on new products before launching them.

If I see a new product, it seems I know more about it than their reps. And if I call to ask if its been launched in the local area, they know nothing about it.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

miami786male

join:2008-06-30
Miami, FL
reply to help_plz
Thanks a lot this has helped me...