Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

[Info] Wunderground - Going Downhill?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Took a look at Iowa City at 1:05pm 6/26/2013 and wundergrounds website stated 100% chance of showers & thunderstorms. Weather.gov's Iowa city website is for mostly sunny and zero % chance. Over the past several month's I've noticed that wunderground updates there forecast at least 5-7 times a day, which instead of a forecast, it leads you to believe it's more like just "current conditions" than a forecast since they update it so many times a day. Is this because TWC bought wunderground? I've also attached both screen shots within 2 min of each other. Anybody else notice a change in the way forecasts are posted on wunderground the past few months for their city?

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
No issues here. My forecast are pretty close to theirs.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to wth
Having a local NWS office 2 blocks away, I have about the most local forecasts one could. As well as a very strong Naval Wx Office as well.

Haven't used WU in ages, but Wx Ch take over could only be a bad thing.

You might notice when Wx Ch is in Key West they almost never interview locals (and taped if they do) because they just get laughed at if not sworn at for the 80% self serving BS they disseminate..
--

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
Just another tool in the box.

said by Hayward:

Having a local NWS office 2 blocks away, I have about the most local forecasts one could. As well as a very strong Naval Wx Office as well.

You might notice when Wx Ch is in Key West they almost never interview locals (and taped if they do) because they just get laughed at if not sworn at for the 80% self serving BS they disseminate..

LOLs. "Don't talk to the locals" except the Chamber of Commerce or "Official Spokespersons". The rest are usually busy.

Except me at Hotel Happy as Hell on the Beach. Rain forecast for the next 7 days.
"Will it rain on the Fourth?" I get that question in April.
"Why is the outdoor pool closed?" So you don't get wet.
"Insert asinine question here." I dunno. That's why I get the Big Bucks.

Enjoy your stay.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
reply to wth
said by wth:

Is this because TWC bought wunderground? I've also attached both screen shots within 2 min of each other. Anybody else notice a change in the way forecasts are posted on wunderground the past few months for their city?

It might be your location, pick a different station. You should have a "source" choice at the top between "BestForecast" and "NWS", neither of which is TWC. At the bottom, there should be a rating on the quality of the forecast and another link to "use NWS", again, having nothing to do with TWC. Your forecast is for "Johnson" while the conditions are for Iowa City Airport, is the station offline for "Johnson" providing an erroneous forecast? Which, again, would have nothing to do with TWC.

»www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:52240.1.99999

Quality of forecast is Poor for BestForecast and Fair for NWS, for Iowa City today. This would have nothing to do with TWC either.

Now the Capital One and Tansunion credit score report commercials to the left... that may be directly the result of TWC.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to capecoddah
said by capecoddah:

said by Hayward:

LOLs. "Don't talk to the locals" except the Chamber of Commerce or "Official Spokespersons". The rest are usually busy.

Except me at Hotel Happy as Hell on the Beach. Rain forecast for the next 7 days.

Enjoy your stay.

Hunh??? I just get direct and as local as could be unadulterated TRUTH...and not reliant on the Commercial sensationalized BS you have a problem with???

Well sorry....You were the ones that ignored Sandy, and so shocked by it. Any one following real weather info was not.

I was certainly reluctant when they said it would do what it did when hadn't even cleared Jamaica, but by the time it north of FL several days off a CERTAINTY, and people still ignored it again beging so used to the commercial OVER HYPE before.

You want the best info go directly to your nearest NWS office, if you have any basic understanding of weather., and anyone coastal or severe weather area should for if nothing else self preservation.

--

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
said by Hayward:

said by capecoddah:

said by Hayward:

Enjoy your stay.

Hunh??? I just get direct and as local as could be unadulterated TRUTH...and not reliant on the Commercial sensationalized BS you have a problem with???

Well sorry....You were the ones that ignored Sandy, and so shocked by it. Any one following real weather info was not.

I was certainly reluctant when they said it would do what it did when hadn't even cleared Jamaica, but by the time it north of FL several days off a CERTAINTY, and people still ignored it again beging so used to the commercial OVER HYPE before.

You want the best info go directly to your nearest NWS office, if you have any basic understanding of weather., and anyone coastal or severe weather area should for if nothing else self preservation.

I didn't ignore Sandy. I watch storms from the time they are named until they pass. Hotel Happy as Hell on the Beach was boarded up and sand bagged. Just like all the others that came before.
I'm ~8 feet above MHW right now. Evacuation Zone. Small Craft Advisory on the beach right now.
Local WX? 7 Coast Guard Stations within 50 miles of here.
We pay attention to stuff like Hurricanes and Nor'Easters here. Cape Cod kinda sticks out in the ocean. Key Weird North .

"Don't talk to the locals" refers to The Weather Channel crew. They are told "Piss off, we're a little busy." by fishermen, marina workers and property mangers working before a storm. C of C, MEMA, etc. are the ones that do talk.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits
said by capecoddah:

I didn't ignore Sandy. I watch storms from the time they are named until they pass.
"Don't talk to the locals" refers to The Weather Channel crew. They are told "Piss off, we're a little busy." by fishermen, marina workers and property mangers working before a storm. C of C, MEMA, etc. are the ones that do talk.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Sorry didn't mean to say you personally.... as to the WX Ch here... its not that we don't have the time, it is that they are going to get everything they don't want to hear... with keeping their scare them to death scenarios. TS, Cat 1 storms are just a typical summer here and most brush us not direct hits. Cat 3 and above are taken very seriously. You may also note the WX Ch never mentions KW after the storm, even when there is damage, because they are off to the mainland already. Were are just their canary in the coal mine be southernmost US point.

Sandy was something for the NE that really hadn't happened in 75 years and even then (38) it was eastern LI and NE not the NYC metro area which was pretty muck unscathed, and where first aid to Eastern LI came from next day.

And wind wise Sandy was a very tame storm not even Cat two, in fact at landfall not sure it was even Cat 1 anymore... but surge wise that perfect storm of crashing into the NYC funnel magnifying coast with no where to go.

Again difference here though most of KW is not much more than 5ft above sea level but the surges with help from the reef tend to just slosh around us with minimal immediate coastal flooding.... but the same minimal storm hits the northern Gulf or western FL and solid land they have nothing to do but pile up.
Which again in Sandy was by the triangular funnel shape magnifying coastline it struck is what happened.
--

Hiker
Zeus
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Lebanon, NJ
Maybe only a Cat 1 but, the sustained winds over a long period of time did much of the damage as well.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to wth
No pissing contest Hayward.
We get 70+ mph a couple times a year.
Buy French Toast supplies and beer.

Thank God we don't have enough trailer parks to attract tornadoes!

I was a blow-boat live-aboard for years and spent a couple in South FL. Been to Key Weird a few times.
I think I'm still banned from The Blue Marlin.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

2 edits
reply to Hiker
said by Hiker:

Maybe only a Cat 1 but, the sustained winds over a long period of time did much of the damage as well.

No doubt but was sub Cat 1 at landfall...why the long delay in retiring the name by NOAA/NHC.

And yeah that is what a hurricane/TS is unrelenting wind and rain, unlike a straight line thunder storm or tornado here and gone in minutes, tropical cyclone are persistent and if a small one still several hours big one 6 hours or more.

Slow moving Hurricane Georges that hit us directly (only time I have seen an Eye) here in 98 was a full 15 hours of up to Cat 3 gusts, sustained high Cat 1-2 and spawned tornadoes as well.
--

Hiker
Zeus
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Lebanon, NJ
Damn, screw living in Fl...

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
said by Hiker:

Damn, screw living in Fl...

OK fine and screw many of your for just not paying attention just because it had been a long time.

And yes I would say global warming at work...stuff usually down here moving north consistently.... as well as tornadoes consistently moving East N&S to places they have rarely been regularly but now are and out of season.
--