how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RenegadeX28

join:2008-08-23
North Bergen, NJ

[Northeast] Just upgraded to 50/25 ....wireless speeds are terri

Just upgraded to FIOS Quantum 50/25 from 15/5. Connected via wireless and the speeds are like half of what it should be. Via speedtests, I get 20 up/ 18 down and I barely notice the differences. Connected by ethernet, I get 57/33. Is there anyway I can get that same speed over wifi? The firmware on my router (Actiontec MI424 WR Rev 4) is up to date. Is there any settings I can tweak?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Re: [Northeast] Just upgraded to 50/25 ....wireless speeds are t

No. It sounds like your Actiontec only has 802.11g (if it's older than a Rev. G). You need a new router or wireless access point as you've maxed out the abilities of 802.11g.

Verizon will sell you a new Actiontec for around $80 that supports 802.11n. As long as your computer/devices also have support for 802.11n, you should be able to get the full 50/25 on the new router.

You can also buy a third party router/access point that supports 802.11n or 802.11ac (more expensive), but there are some tradeoffs with this approach depending on how you set everything up:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30
reply to RenegadeX28

said by RenegadeX28:

Actiontec MI424 WR Rev 4

Actiontec hardware revisions are letters, not numbers.
Do you mean a rev. D?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
reply to RenegadeX28

You will need an 802.11n router AND clients ( laptop/phone ect )

Your speeds are normal for 802.11g

RenegadeX28

North Bergen, NJ
reply to More Fiber

Oops..sorry. I meant Rev F. Both my laptops (Macbook and newer Dell laptop) both support 802.11n ...I guess I would have to connect a 802.11n router to the Actiontec router correct?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

The rev. F is draft-802.11n only, which is to say it doesn't support 40Mhz channels or the 5Ghz band. So yes, for best speed connect a dual-band 802.11n router or access point to the Actiontec.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

RenegadeX28

North Bergen, NJ

Any affordable recommendations? I kinda don't wanna pay 80 bucks to Verizon for a whole new router.

thetick

join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

said by RenegadeX28:

Any affordable recommendations? I kinda don't wanna pay 80 bucks to Verizon for a whole new router.

Ask for the upgrade since you expected to get 50M connections otherwise talk to retention.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to RenegadeX28

said by RenegadeX28:

Any affordable recommendations?

This works well for me. $29.
Trendnet Easy-N upgrader
--

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to thetick

Good luck with calling "retention" unless you are not under a contract, they'll just offer to sell you the Rev. I, or remind you how much more the termination fee will be than the cost of the new router.

If you had 75/35, you might have a better argument for a Rev. I, if your current router went bad, and they had to send a replacement.

Of course 150/65 gets you a Rev.I automatically, but they also charge an additional installation fee to upgrade to that tier, and that fee is higher than the cost of the router.

I have seen simple Single band-N Access points as cheap as $20, Dual-Band-N for around $50, but those with upgradable antennas cost more, and you want at least 2(preferably 3) antennas for N or the benefit of MIMO(Multi-In Multi-out) technology is lost.

Detachable/Upgradable antennas also allows you to add directional antennas, so you can focus the signal where you need it in your home, and lessen interference you might get from a neighbor on the same channel.

One commonly overlooked setup requirement for every "N" AP/Router, is that you MUST configure the security as WPA2-PSK, or even the fastest claimed N units will only run at 54Mbps MAX.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA
kudos:1
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

said by RenegadeX28:

Any affordable recommendations?

This works well for me. $29.
Trendnet Easy-N upgrader

FYI, I own 2 of these (not using atm, they are available if someone is interested...) and they are 2.4GHz only. You can get the 40MHz band out of them for the 300Mbps, or you can use the standard 20MHz width for up to 150Mbps. Also 2 of these can be used to create a WDS setup at 150Mbps as well.

*HOWEVER* you will ALWAYS be bottlenecked by the fact that these are only capable of doing 100Mbps ethernet, just wanted to throw that warning out there. They did not use a gigabit interface for the wired LAN on these.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to RenegadeX28

I think you might have 30 days to cancel when first starting a contract.. BTW, I got a rev I and I'm at the 50/25... it works pretty good.. my tablet can only do ~44 max down/40 up... and that's in the same room. I haven't powered on my spare desktop in months.. I suppose I could try the n dongle I have.. should be faster than the tablet. Btw, some old tablets can only do ~25 up/down since they are G or have processors of 1ghz or less.. so if you have and older tablet with g or slow processor don't expect top notch N speeds.