uniqs
share rss forum feed

elito

join:2007-10-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

[OOL] bonded upstream

Click for full size
been experiencing latency issues since monday - so i've been keeping an eye on the modem status page - and today finally noticed i have 2ch's on upstream now. but basically, my down isn't affected, but when runing speedtests, the upload just stalls and when it finally goes - it hits less than 1mb. but w/e the case maybe, am calling OOL now because this close to 0 bandwidth on the upload is affecting me harshly.

flatline_

join:2003-01-18
I've been having intermittent latency issues for about a week, for the 1st time in my 4 years having the service. I figured that they may have been working on the network. I'm in Brooklyn as well. Over here, I'm still showing one upstream channel. I'm guessing my area may follow soon. Will keep checking and let you know.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
reply to elito
Nice
Looks like rumors of increased upload are more valid now

Due to two upload channels not your poor performance

psilocybin

join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY
reply to elito
Thanks for sharing elito!

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to elito
I have 2 channels of upstream as well.

Edit :

I also notice that all the lights on my modem are now green. Wasn't the US light Amber? I still have the same speeds.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Amber US or DS light on the Arris means unbonded channel. Now that your light is green, it means bonded.

Speeds were not changed last night as just a very small area went live.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
Yeah, Arris modems do Green for bonded (orange for single). Motorola modems will show blue lights for bonded and 1Gbps WAN connections.

Just rebooted my SB6180 modem and still going with a single upstream. Guess it will roll out eventually to everywhere else but for now, glad to see this is progressing!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
You will not need to reboot your modem. CV is doing that for any capable modems when upgraded.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

Amber US or DS light on the Arris means unbonded channel. Now that your light is green, it means bonded.

Speeds were not changed last night as just a very small area went live.

In another thread I suggested a 2 stage process of rolling out the upgraded Upload Speeds. Stage1 would be to roll the bonded channels via settings file that has more than one upload channel but keep the provisioned speeds the same. This allows the bonding to be tested and any bugs worked out. Once that this is done, then Stage2 is to push another new settings file with the higher provisioned speeds.

It looks like I might have guessed right on how they will do it.

elito

join:2007-10-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to elito
i remember about a year ago or 1.5 yrs now - i was also the first to post up 8 bonded ch's aswell. jesus, i pray for this network roll out to be over and up/stable soon because..wow..this constant disco is no bueno. also, while i was on the phone with the tech, he told me that there was an outage in borough park bk area? and i happen to be in a node that's in that area, so the guy was like..hmm..you're not experiencing an outage, but you maybe affected due to the fact that you're part of a node that's in that area..lol..how lucky. so im gonna give them till tm night after i get home from work and see what's up. as FIOS has finally been availible now on my area for nearly 3 mths now..kinda eager to try it out.. =D (still pretty sure there are less than 10 that has actually switched over..vz fios package in bk is not as competitive as it is in NJ, or queens)

UnknownBeing

join:2012-12-30
Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to elito
How long does it normally take optimum to finish all their network bonding? How long did it take for them to finish 8 downstream bonding?

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to elito
said by elito:

been experiencing latency issues since monday - so i've been keeping an eye on the modem status page - and today finally noticed i have 2ch's on upstream now. but basically, my down isn't affected, but when runing speedtests, the upload just stalls and when it finally goes - it hits less than 1mb. but w/e the case maybe, am calling OOL now because this close to 0 bandwidth on the upload is affecting me harshly.

Latency & packet loss issues have been rife on the 22.mhz frequencies with "line noise".. that's why they bumped some customers to 35.xx frequencies.... or this was part of their plan all along to test out higher speeds on 22 frequencies and when it failed [LINE NOISE] released the 35mhz spectrum in preparation for compatible bonded upstream frequencies.

FWIW, no bonded ch's here yet.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY

1 edit
reply to RARPSL
It's a pretty rapid rollout schedule. The rest of us won't have to wait much longer.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
said by frdrizzt:

It's a pretty rapid rollout schedule. The rest of us won't have to wait much longer.

Hopefully it will occur fast/soon. OTOH, as I noted, it might be a good plan to get the Bonding done and tested/debugged before increasing the upload speed provisioning. Staying with the current speeds until the bonding works eliminates disappointments with the new faster speeds if the bonding has problems.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
That's why they don't officially pre announce these upgrades.

UpPower

@skybroadband.com
reply to elito
Your upstream transmit power is far too low. Needs a truck roll which I hope they've arranged for you.

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to elito
Anybody else see more upstream bonding?

efrem

join:2002-04-03
Westport, CT
said by UnknownBeing:

Not yet here on my node on the Norwalk headend.

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to UpPower
said by UpPower :

Your upstream transmit power is far too low.

His upstream power is great, what are you talking about?

@OP: »/smokeping

My modem rebooted just a short time ago, but no changes in its configuration.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to efrem
said by efrem:

said by UnknownBeing:

Not yet here on my node on the Norwalk headend.

None yet in Fairfield, CT either on the Bridgeport, CT Headend.

KeyLogger

join:2007-08-08
reply to elito
motorola SB6120 got blue light, but on the page still shows 1 channel, but basic plan 22.5Mhz, upgrade to higher plan, changed to 35.5Mhz (page shows 1 channel)

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to DAOWAce
said by DAOWAce:

said by UpPower :

Your upstream transmit power is far too low.

His upstream power is great, what are you talking about?

Actually it's lower than BBR recommends.
Recommended upstream signal levels are +35 dBmV to +50 dBmV.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Anything below 30 is failing according to cablevision. A tech visit should have been scheduled. Could be a damaged coax, bad splitter or even a system problem.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 edit
said by MuDvAyNe:

Anything below 30 is failing according to cablevision. A tech visit should have been scheduled. Could be a damaged coax, bad splitter or even a system problem.

A low Upstream signal level would not be a bad splitter or damaged coax, it occurs because the CMTS tells the modem to lower the upstream power so it receives the signal is at the same level as other modems on the segment. So either he has a very clean path or the modem is being amplified more than other modems. (Hopefully he does not have an on premise bi-directional amp)

A level of 30 is normally the low level but depending on where you are located (ie the topography) of the segment it is very possible there is no problem with a slightly lower level. E88 when he posted here (and I had the posts marked but they seem to have disappeared from my marked posts) has said that a customer or a normal tech can not do anything about a low upstream. You would likely need outside plant to rebalance the amps.

Since Docsis modems are rated to transmit at a lower levels than the posters modem is transmitting it seems unlikely that the upstream power is the cause of the problem.

EDIT
I managed to find one of the posts

»Re: Q about upstream power

--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
reply to elito
Got my upstream bonding here!!! I see channel 1 and channel 4, similar to the OP.
--
QUAD!!!!

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to andrewc2
said by andrewc2:

Actually it's lower than BBR recommends.
Recommended upstream signal levels are +35 dBmV to +50 dBmV.

Got up to date documentation?

The one I read stated it "shouldn't be above 55" and "the lower the better". Said nothing about a lower limit, which is really what I wanted to know.

@Wiseguy: From 2002, eh? Cable specs haven't changed in the last 11 years?

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to elito
Got the bonded upstream in Northern Westchester. Happened overnight last night.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to elito
Have it here in Great Neck on Long Island. Just rebooted the modem and finally went bonded on the upstream here.

flatline_

join:2003-01-18
reply to elito
I just rebooted my modem 3 minutes ago, I now have upstream bonding as well! Upstream light on my arris is now green when it was amber before the reboot.

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
What area?