All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BattlePope
@centurytel.net

BattlePope

Anon

Bridged mode does not load certain sites (Actiontec/Vizio).

Hey guys,

So, I am currently running a Actiontec GT701D modem and a Vizio XWR100 wireless router in bridged mode. Most sites are working fine but some load partially or not at all. Notable sites include: imgur.com (albums only; I can load individual pictures fine) and liveleak.com. There are some others but I do not remember them off the top of my head.

Anyways, when I don't use the Vizio router and I just run the ethernet cable straight from the modem to my computer, everything works fine. But when I hook up my router and throw it in bridged mode, the problems come back.

I followed these instructions to set it up in bridged mode:

"1. Auto-Configure the modem with your ISP by directly connecting the modem to your computer. Follow the instructions given in the booklet/user manual/ISP letter to enter the PPPoE username & password.
2. After configuration is complete, confirm that you are connected to the internet.
3. Click 'Advanced Setup' on the Main Menu.
4. Turn off DHCP Server on the 'DHCP Settings' page. Click Apply.
5. Go to 'WAN IP Address' page and click Yes on the warning. Select RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging. Click Apply.
6. The Internet light on the modem will turn off and always remain off in bridged mode.
7. Remove cable from computer and plug into WAN port of your Router.
8. In your router settings enter the PPPoE username & password. Follow instructions in your router's user manual to enable DHCP on your router.
You should now be connected to the Internet using your modem & router in bridged mode."

I've been trying to search on how to enable DHCP on my Vizio router but it seems that the default settings have it turned on already. Anyone know what might be going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
broccoli
join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

broccoli

Sounds like you need to adjust the MTU size on the PPPoE client (which in this case is your router). See »Tweaking FAQ »Max MTU: How do I find mine? for more info.

BattlePope
@centurytel.net

BattlePope

Anon

Sorry about that, was away on vacation and am just now able to tackle this problem again.

Okay, so my MaxMTU is 1492. Currently I'm running Windows 7. How should I go about adjusting this? Tried looking on the FAQ but only saw methods for other versions of Windows (and a lot of stuff I didn't even understand).

Thanks for the help!
BattlePope

BattlePope

Anon

Bump.
bevills1
join:2006-05-29

1 recommendation

bevills1

Have you tried using the modem in router mode? Note router and modem configuration will need to be changed to do that. You'll need to change the WAN router setting from PPPoE to DHCP client or Fixed IP, and you'll need to enter username, password, etc. for the correct modem settings.

BattlePope
@direcway.com

BattlePope

Anon

I have not tried that. I'm not quite sure how I'll go about doing that for my specific modem but I'll be sure to give it a try when I get home.

Do you know how to change the MaxMTU? I'd like to try that first if possible.
BattlePope

BattlePope

Anon

WOO HOO! Changing my MaxMTU worked. Thanks guys!