spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Extrin
join:2013-05-28
Brampton, ON

Extrin

[Extreme] Port Forwarding Help

Hello, I currently have the rogers extreme plus package, and would like to know how to necessarily set up port forwarding on my 10/100 8-port VPN RV082 router. I mean, where can I go to find out what exact ports are available to forwarded? Is there some kind of list or something that I can look into? The thing is that recently my router crashed back when i still had the extreme package, and I needed to reset it in order to fix the problem, but I forgot to make a backup of the settings I used before the crash. So, now I wish to try to get the same ports I used in the past but can't seem to remember exactly which ones were forwarded before (my dad is the one that dealt with all this stuff, btw, and he forgot too). So any way to look at specific ports that deal with my connection somewhere? Or is it at all possible to somehow to restore the old router settings even without a backup (I doubt this would be possible though) or just be able to take a look at them somehow? I mean, maybe mozilla saved screenshots of when i last accessed the router that would allow me to look at the old pages I accessed in the past. Any help would be appreciated.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

Simple Port Forwarding 3.8.1 - Freeware

Simple Port Forwarding works with WebPages and not directly with your router. Making it a safe program to use. Its no different than using Firefox, IE or any other browser to setup port forwarding yourself.

The program works by automating the process for you. So whether you don't understand how to forward ports, or you're simply looking for an easier way to forward ports then this program is for you.

Its port forwarding made simple.

The main interface of the program is small and clean. Giving options of seeing what is going to be forwarded to the router and how many entries and ports it will use in the process. You have the ability to save your list and send it to another user of the program. An example would be, lets say you have a family member who lives far from you and doesn't really understand port forwarding, so instead of spending a lot of time over the phone walking them through it you can simply have them use the program and have them load the list and update their router, then your all done. Now that's a time saver.

The program has a large database of known ports for over 700+ games and programs, so finding the port you need is made a little easier.
The program will also remember custom applications you put in, so you don't have to reenter them. The program remembers the last IP address you use to forward to, this helps not having to set it every time you load new ports!

The program has many extra tools, such as a tool to set your IP to static or back to DHCP. When port forwarding the router forwards to an IP address. When DHCP is enabled your IP address can change and thus breaking the port forwarding. By setting your IP to static it never changes. I added this tool to make setting a static IP as easy as possible for people instead of manually doing it on there systems (Which if a person has never done it before can be a little intimidating). The Program also makes adding the ports to the windows firewall as easy as a few clicks! Once you have your ports forwarded you can then test to see if they can be accessed right from with in the program using the built in port tester.

»www.majorgeeks.com/files ··· ing.html
Extrin
Brampton, ON

Extrin

That's a very handy program, but how can I find which ports are the best to forward in order to improve my internet speed?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by Extrin:

That's a very handy program, but how can I find which ports are the best to forward in order to improve my internet speed?

You ONLY forward ports for special applications -- the Internet is not a special application -- so no need to forward ports for --- the Internet --- to improve your internet speed.

If your RV082 router crashed due to electrical issues then its very possible that your RV082 WAN/LAN ports are damaged which can cause the router to perform poorly. Do not confuse the WAN/LAN hardware ports with "virtual" ports used for special applications that require virtual port forwarding.
Extrin
Brampton, ON

Extrin

»netforbeginners.about.co ··· ding.htm
"If the computer signal can find its way into your computer a few milliseconds quicker, it will add up to be dramatic speed increases for your game or your downloading."

Now I'm no expert, but according to that I should be able to increase my download speed if I forward the right ports. I even noticed the increase in my dl speed after forwarding certain ports, so I just wish to know which ones I should forward specifically in order to give a little boost to my speed. Unless I'm not fully understanding this, please enlighten me.