uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec

Re: Does the leased SB6141 only get firmware updated?

said by swintec:

I knew those modems used the same firmware image however I figured they simply set the 6141 for the upgrade.

But why would Oceanic do that? Seems to me that to have a smooth running network Oceanic would upgrade all 6120, 6121 and 6141 modems on the network to the same firmware. But then I am not an engineer...so.....

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Mele20:

said by swintec:

I knew those modems used the same firmware image however I figured they simply set the 6141 for the upgrade.

But why would Oceanic do that? Seems to me that to have a smooth running network Oceanic would upgrade all 6120, 6121 and 6141 modems on the network to the same firmware. But then I am not an engineer...so.....

then again you never know TWC pushed a new version of the SBG6580 firmware to my modem in the middle of the day!

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by swintec:

I dont know whether or not the 6121s had issues with firmware 1.0.6.3. SOME 6141s did. It creates a possible liability to upgrade firmware on modems.

Are you implying the network is not running smoothly because some 6121s do not have a later firmware that fixes problems they didnt have to begin with? What if it CREATED problems after upgrade?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I had no issues that I was aware of that were due to the original firmware being installed on the brand new 6141 Oceanic gave me. So, why would my modem be upgraded to the latest firmware unless ALL Surfboard modems on the network that use this firmware were also upgraded perhaps in preparation for something that is coming from Oceanic where the latest firmware is needed? Historically, the last thing TWC does is flash new modem firmware. They are one of the, if not the, slowest providers to update modem firmware. I had to force corporate to update the firmware on a Surfboard years ago (and they did it nation wide after I forced the issue). Most other ISPs all over the world had updated many months before because of the security hole on the firmware that was on this TWC Surfboard modem in widespread use all over TWC not just in Hawaii. So, if Oceanic is flashing the latest Motorola Surfboard firmware that is rare. Only TWICE in 12 years has TWC flashed new firmware for the Surfboards that I have rented from Oceanic before this flash. Thus, I think it is probably safe to assume that there is a critical reason for the flash that has nothing to do with any purported problems with the 6141 since I didn't see problems with the old, original August 2011 firmware even after we went from 4 downstream bonded channels to six.

I am aware of why TWC does not flash firmware except rarely. But all other major ISPs don't seem to share TWC's fear of bricking modems, etc. and they update modem firmware on a timely basis as Motorola does not willy-nilly issue new firmware for particular modems. It is issued to fix problems including security problems and to make the modem work correctly on an upgraded network, etc.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

TWC has been upgrading firmware on modems about once a year if newer firmware is available for the past 2-3 years at least, mostly since the DOCSIS 3 configs on the gear started getting turned up.

Most of the Moto's were updated about the March/April of last year that I noticed and it was done in waves based on area and model, which is what it seems they're doing again. They may update faster if some critical problem pops up and firmware with a fix is available.

Comcast does firmware updates about twice a year. Charter about once a year too. Cox about once or twice a year, I think. All lag at least a 2-6 months behind the manufacturer release of the firmware so they can do their own testing. There always seems to be somebody bitching about their provider's upgrade schedule in one of the various cable provider forums when they don't have the absolute latest version of firmware, even when they have no clue what changes were made in it.

Moto releases new firmware every 2-3 months for the 61xx series, 1.0.6.13 was released 2 months ago, so a new version will probably be out next month. Maybe about every 6-12 months for the 51xx series, last one for the 5101 was in April 2012. I've never seen any provider even try to keep up with every release.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

Anyone in NYC got 1.0.6.12 yet as I am still on 1.0.6.8? All I see is people in Hawaii and the west cost get it.