Premium Member

Rona closing 11 stores in ON and BC

»www.cp24.com/news/rona-c ··· .1343914

8 in Ontario and 3 in BC.

wasHighwire
@205.150.9.x

wasHighwire

Anon

It sure would be nice if the link-to article had a list of locations that are closing. If they have a specific number of stores, Shirley they know which ones are closing.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

The list is there... It's the 3rd paragraph.

BC is Duncan, Kamloops, and Abbotsford; Ontario is Mississauga, Windsor, Woodbridge, London, Huntsville, Collingwood, Toronto, and Aurora...

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to donoreo

to donoreo
Prices at my local Rona always seem to be 10%-15% higher than HomeDepot.

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

nm, confused Lowes with Rona

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Gone:

nm, confused Lowes with Rona

They are both blue

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Rona got into trouble shortly after buying Building Box, here in Scarberia, they had one on the sw corner of Warden/Eglinton and another on the NE corner. Kinda of how Starbucks got in trouble opening stores across the street from each other.

Eventually they shut down the Building Box store.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Rona got into trouble shortly after buying Building Box, here in Scarberia, they had one on the sw corner of Warden/Eglinton and another on the NE corner. Kinda of how Starbucks got in trouble opening stores across the street from each other.

And it sat empty for several years. Part of it now is being used at least.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

And it sat empty for several years. Part of it now is being used at least.

I think it was actually torn it down, and a new building was built, it now has a massive Chinese grocery store to rival T&T along with a fitness club.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Odd, they are closing the SE one here in London, I find that the one out on the west side on Wonderland (near DJ's favorite store) would have been on the chopping block, it is never busy and very easy to miss driving by.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

They are both blue

They damn well look identical

That, and Lowes closed a whole bunch of their stores in the US made me confuse the two.

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Ronas in BC have always come across as some kind of shell game. They spend all this money on a new property/building, stay open less than 24 months and shut the doors. Langley, Scott Road & Bridgeport (by the Vancouver Airport) leap to the front of the line. They don't seem to be able to handle any real competition. Personally, I don't give them any business because of their perpetual opening/closing b.s.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

That's probably what's killing them. There was a convenient small Rona nearby when I lived in the city but I considered it more of a convenience for small items, like a variety store. Here in the burbs Home Depot dominates, along with Lowes and the occasional Home Hardware, all in gigantic big-box format.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Odd, they are closing the SE one here in London, I find that the one out on the west side on Wonderland (near DJ's favorite store) would have been on the chopping block, it is never busy and very easy to miss driving by.

yea, when it was new (the Building Box), the service was decent and prices were fairly competitive...when Rona took it over, the service disappeared (reminds me of the lack of service in a Zellers), and the prices seemed to go up slightly...after a few poor customer service experiences, we stopped shopping there...it also helps Lowes opened up a few blocks away and they offer far better service and competitive pricing.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
Home Hardware , big box, never seen one, they've always been the small(ish) stores.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Thane_Bitter:

yea, when it was new (the Building Box), the service was decent and prices were fairly competitive...when Rona took it over, the service disappeared (reminds me of the lack of service in a Zellers), and the prices seemed to go up slightly...after a few poor customer service experiences, we stopped shopping there...it also helps Lowes opened up a few blocks away and they offer far better service and competitive pricing.

I think it depends, I was looking for some linseed oil to preserve the wood railway ties that hold up my front yard. Home Depot/Lowes only sell a 1ltr container and i didn't think it was enough. Rona strangely enough sold it in a 4ltr container.

Hit my local store, didn't have any, guy went to the computer, shipment was late, found some at another store. Very helpful.

OTOH the same store back when I bought my house, my Dad and i were re-wiring some of the knob and tube and put in a new panel.

Went to my local Rona, couldn't find what I was looking for (or help) when inquired at Customer service, i was told they were all at lunch!!!!

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to donoreo

to donoreo
Jeez I wonder how long the new Fort Erie store will last.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

wait, the "newer" big one in Summerside?...that's like the only good one in London...that's dumb...it's also somewhat exclusive over there...the one by my house has a Lowes and a Home Depot about 5 minutes away.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Home Hardware , big box, never seen one, they've always been the small(ish) stores.

It's pretty big, but definitely the smallest of the three (vs. Home Depot and Lowes).

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
Like I said, I figured it would have been the one near you that closed. The store they have elected to close is only six years old and is the anchor store to a retail plaza.

Speaking of plazas, this city has more of them per capita than any place else. Drive around town and the bulk of them have at least one vacancy (or more). Mayor Joe's great vision of a mega shopping center along the 401 is folly, but what else is new. He can use the few construction, and low paying retail jobs it creates (most of the retail jobs will just move from location to location as stores move in from existing city shopping sites) as part of his re-election platform.

Recall how well that shopping center near the old Ice House (now Velodrome) did, it's just a transit point for thieves, druggies, and vagabonds.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

yea, $700 million worth of projects to create all these shopping complexes...we need $700 million worth of factories to get some of the 20% of the people here who aren't working, working.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

It's pretty big, but definitely the smallest of the three (vs. Home Depot and Lowes).

Yeah, there's two really big ones in St. Catharines that are bigger than a Future Shop or Best Buy but still smaller than Lowes or Home Depot.

In contract, we just had a Rona open up in Fort Erie that is as small as three spaces in a strip mall on Dominion Road. Same blue peaked sign as the big box version, just a lot smaller.

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Rona is terrible, I'm sorry, we could have had a better business in Hamilton.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to donoreo

to donoreo
Here in QC, Rona is tied to Reno Depot (which only exists in QC).

Home Depot always had the lowest prices, but lacks in selection when it comes to raw construction materials in comparison to Reno Depot (again, not Rona, but they're in cahoots with the same house brands).

Also, both Rona and Reno Depot seem to carry more "materials" that are toxic but legal, such as TSP, or certain rust-oleum paints, more choices in oil wood stains, driveway sealants that are very... tarry, 4x8 XPS sheets (not toxic I know, but HD only carries 2x8), more versions of OSB and plywood 4x8.

Again those are just for the BIG Ronas (very few) and the Reno Depot. Though both suck in terms of customer experience compared to Home Depot.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
The home hardware near me is on the south side of Danforth on Dawes, they take up one side of the entire road (with a gap for a union hall).

The service beats anything you get at any of the larger "hardware" stores.

I needed some gravel for a base for a retaining wall I built. Drove down, told the guy what I needed, and loaded in the truck and went home..

OOPS wrong stuff.. went back , my sister was helping me, she described the stuff and out to the yard we went. No we want this stuff (different then what I paid for). It's more expensive.. how much.. you know what.. nevermind. Not only that, but he went into the store brought out some tape so we could tape the bags closed .

I mean customer service in this store is out of this world, and they are competitively priced.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

I mean customer service in this store is out of this world, and they are competitively priced.

yea, the new(er) TSC store around the corner from where i live is also great that way...their prices are also fairly competitive and very good when you get something on sale...the people there are really good though, which really can make a difference on some purchases.

neochu
join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

neochu to donoreo

to donoreo
Windsor's is on the chopping block too which is sad...

Their right across the street from a mall thats seen immense traffic growth beside a Walmart then a home depot away from that. They put that store in there when they Expanded Lauzon Parkway to make a PROPER artery through the east end of the city (which is eventually going to see 401 Access).

there is going to be 2 empty lots there now for sale -- which is just going to make matters worse in that corner (its starting to rot)

When it comes to these types of stores Im within walking distance to a HH (insanely expensive has little of anything) so I dont like it so much.

That particular Rona has things no one else does and I will miss it, not to mention they have people who know whtf they are talking about. Its probably why its so expensive and non profitable

Home Depot -- well only thing that they have that specializes is decent selection of home datacom gear. Id rather go to Rona for everything else (which I do).

Only really Lowes a 20 minute drive from my place is competitive for me.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

It's funny, just last week we were browsing through the weekly flyers and my significant other said "why does Rona send out these sale flyers when they're not sale pricing!?"

When I saw the news that some of the stores were closing I shrugged as though it were expected.

Does Rona have anything you can't at the other similar stores?
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
I'm rather suprised they've decided to close the store at Kennedy Commons (the old Lansing location). Granted it is rather close (well somewhat close) to the newer and larger McNicoll/Midland store (bought from their Building Box acquisition) but the traffic at Kennedy Commons is far higher.
decx

decx to Thingamajig

Premium Member

to Thingamajig
said by Thingamajig:

Ronas in BC have always come across as some kind of shell game. They spend all this money on a new property/building, stay open less than 24 months and shut the doors. Langley, Scott Road & Bridgeport (by the Vancouver Airport) leap to the front of the line. They don't seem to be able to handle any real competition. Personally, I don't give them any business because of their perpetual opening/closing b.s.

Part of the reason they closed the Bridgeport store was that it was it was just 5min from the Rona franchise on Elmbridge and Gilbert. That said, customer-wise it would have been better if they kept Bridgeport and let Elmbridge go as the Elmbridge store is not very well kept. It's like a small old Canadian Tire with lots of rather empty and disorganized shelves.