antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Can Your Car Be Hacked?

»www.caranddriver.com/fea ··· -feature from »www.linuxsecurity.com/co ··· w/159637 ...

Almost two years old, but still a good read. I wonder how we can keep them updated and secured unlike computers.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

If it is a later model, YES. Unfortunately these systems are not designed with security in mind. If security is engineered in, it is not by a security expert.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

2 recommendations

jaykaykay to antdude

MVM

to antdude
The only sure way is not to buy one!

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Yup. If it has a GPS with a cellular connection (Onstar etc) or any kind of automatic driver override(s), such as auto-braking, auto-lane control or whatever, I won't even consider it.

I Robot was science fiction but I agree with the general idea.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

KrK to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
There's suspicions that Report Micheal Hasting's 2013 Mercedes C250 coupe may have been hacked and that he was murdered.
Stumbles
join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Stumbles to antdude

to antdude
I'll go on the limb and say; anything with a computer in it can be hacked, remotely or directly.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
EU

Buddel to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Don't know, I don't have a car.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Stumbles

Premium Member

to Stumbles
said by Stumbles:

I'll go on the limb and say; anything with a computer in it can be hacked, remotely or directly.

OK, let's see you hack my house thermostat remotely.

(It is surely microprocessor based, since that's the cheapest way to build something like that, but has no network connection of any kind; the only wire coming out of it is connected to the oil burner control unit).

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Buddel

Premium Member

to Buddel
Live to ride
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

said by Stumbles:

OK, let's see you hack my house thermostat remotely.

(It is surely microprocessor based, since that's the cheapest way to build something like that, but has no network connection of any kind; the only wire coming out of it is connected to the oil burner control unit).

Many devices that do not have any form of network/wireless connectivity can in fact be modified directly with physical access to the device (more specifically, the internal circuitry). For instance, many devices using microprocessors have a JTAG header on the circuit board that will allow the firmware to be modified using the right hardware interface and software.

While the threat of an attack requiring physical access to the device is nearly non-existent for most such devices, dave's point is mostly correct.

Mostly, only because the design of some devices makes it absolutely impossible to modify the firmware. Your thermostat may fall into this category, since many cheap programmable thermostats use a custom one-chip solution, then again, it might not (can't know until you open it up and see what hardware is inside).

dragonflyhym to jaykaykay

Anon

to jaykaykay
Too funny!
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned) to antdude

to antdude
said by antdude:

»www.caranddriver.com/fea ··· -feature from »www.linuxsecurity.com/co ··· w/159637 ...

Almost two years old, but still a good read. I wonder how we can keep them updated and secured unlike computers.

Heh you see the latest home automation being pushed on commercials. You can loc and unlock your doors turn up the heat or ac turn any thing connected to it on or off from the web. its called vivint or somesuch forget exact name was just on a couple times i saw so far. scary stuff imo.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
true........why would you......if you can hack it;=))
Phoenix22

1 edit

Phoenix22 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

actually i use a hack back feature...........it involves.....some software and co-operation w/ onstar........granted the car is an 05'
..i can drop you within 50 yards........automatically.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
said by Nanaki:

Heh you see the latest home automation being pushed on commercials. You can loc and unlock your doors turn up the heat or ac turn any thing connected to it on or off from the web. its called vivint or somesuch forget exact name was just on a couple times i saw so far. scary stuff imo.

My cable provider calls it Intelligent Home.

»www.oceanic.com/products ··· genthome

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

Rocky67

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

My cable provider calls it Intelligent Home.

There is no intelligence in my home. No, wait...

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

quote:
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Galaxy Song - Monty Python

Velnias
join:2004-07-06

Velnias to antdude

to antdude
No.
I use layered approach:

- bought expensive and well rated antivirus with updates every 5 minutes
- regularly check for car maker email alerts
- never drive in dangerous places e.g. out of my garage

Someone suggested to disconnect car battery when not using - still in my plans... You know - security is a process.