A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Can Your Car Be Hacked?

»www.caranddriver.com/features/ca···-feature from »www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/159637 ...

Almost two years old, but still a good read. I wonder how we can keep them updated and secured unlike computers.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

If it is a later model, YES. Unfortunately these systems are not designed with security in mind. If security is engineered in, it is not by a security expert.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

2 recommendations

reply to antdude

The only sure way is not to buy one!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

Yup. If it has a GPS with a cellular connection (Onstar etc) or any kind of automatic driver override(s), such as auto-braking, auto-lane control or whatever, I won't even consider it.

I Robot was science fiction but I agree with the general idea.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

There's suspicions that Report Micheal Hasting's 2013 Mercedes C250 coupe may have been hacked and that he was murdered.

Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
reply to antdude

I'll go on the limb and say; anything with a computer in it can be hacked, remotely or directly.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
kudos:3
reply to antdude

Don't know, I don't have a car.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Stumbles

said by Stumbles:

I'll go on the limb and say; anything with a computer in it can be hacked, remotely or directly.

OK, let's see you hack my house thermostat remotely.

(It is surely microprocessor based, since that's the cheapest way to build something like that, but has no network connection of any kind; the only wire coming out of it is connected to the oil burner control unit).

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to Buddel

Live to ride

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to dave

said by dave:

said by Stumbles:

OK, let's see you hack my house thermostat remotely.

(It is surely microprocessor based, since that's the cheapest way to build something like that, but has no network connection of any kind; the only wire coming out of it is connected to the oil burner control unit).

Many devices that do not have any form of network/wireless connectivity can in fact be modified directly with physical access to the device (more specifically, the internal circuitry). For instance, many devices using microprocessors have a JTAG header on the circuit board that will allow the firmware to be modified using the right hardware interface and software.

While the threat of an attack requiring physical access to the device is nearly non-existent for most such devices, dave's point is mostly correct.

Mostly, only because the design of some devices makes it absolutely impossible to modify the firmware. Your thermostat may fall into this category, since many cheap programmable thermostats use a custom one-chip solution, then again, it might not (can't know until you open it up and see what hardware is inside).

reply to jaykaykay

Too funny!

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Barberton, OH

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

said by antdude:

»www.caranddriver.com/features/ca···-feature from »www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/159637 ...

Almost two years old, but still a good read. I wonder how we can keep them updated and secured unlike computers.

Heh you see the latest home automation being pushed on commercials. You can loc and unlock your doors turn up the heat or ac turn any thing connected to it on or off from the web. its called vivint or somesuch forget exact name was just on a couple times i saw so far. scary stuff imo.
--
Evil does exist and it has a face to often that face is one that should look on their child with love in their eyes.

Instead only hate exists in those eyes.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to jaykaykay

true........why would you......if you can hack it;=))

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit
reply to antdude

said by antdude:

actually i use a hack back feature...........it involves.....some software and co-operation w/ onstar........granted the car is an 05'
..i can drop you within 50 yards........automatically.
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to novaflare

said by novaflare:

Heh you see the latest home automation being pushed on commercials. You can loc and unlock your doors turn up the heat or ac turn any thing connected to it on or off from the web. its called vivint or somesuch forget exact name was just on a couple times i saw so far. scary stuff imo.

My cable provider calls it Intelligent Home.

»www.oceanic.com/products/intelligenthome
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

said by Mele20:

My cable provider calls it Intelligent Home.

There is no intelligence in my home. No, wait...
--
Panic is the new patriotism

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

quote:
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Galaxy Song - Monty Python

--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Velnias

join:2004-07-06
reply to antdude

No.
I use layered approach:

- bought expensive and well rated antivirus with updates every 5 minutes
- regularly check for car maker email alerts
- never drive in dangerous places e.g. out of my garage

Someone suggested to disconnect car battery when not using - still in my plans... You know - security is a process.