how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

Time for the "locked in a hot car" stories again...

This year it looks like we're skipping straight to children instead of pets...

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s···ton.html

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

Re: Time for the "locked in a hot car" stories again..

CP24 at noon said the kid was in the care of the grandmother.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to bt
Here is another one in Markham

»www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/06···ham.html

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to bt
Horrible, if the child/pet can't come in with you, leave them at home (or don't go out).

I was at a local market on Monday and gave a coat hanger to a guy letting a dog out of a car. I didn't have my phone with me (unusual) but would have called the cops. He was going to wait for the owners to return and blast them. I saw a video shot by a vet and in 30 mins the temp in the vehicle went up 20F and this was with all 4 windows cracked open.

»peterdobias.com/community/videos···ed-open/

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to bt
It still boggles my mind that a person would "forget" a child in a car, especially a toddler.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by mr weather:

It still boggles my mind that a person would "forget" a child in a car, especially a toddler.

I have to wonder if they were frantically searching the house and neighbourhood but didn't bother to check the car. It's not unheard of and has happened in the past.

Real real sad, either way.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to A Lurker
said by A Lurker:

Horrible, if the child/pet can't come in with you, leave them at home (or don't go out).

I was at a local market on Monday and gave a coat hanger to a guy letting a dog out of a car. I didn't have my phone with me (unusual) but would have called the cops. He was going to wait for the owners to return and blast them. I saw a video shot by a vet and in 30 mins the temp in the vehicle went up 20F and this was with all 4 windows cracked open.

Major kudos to you and the guy opening the car for doing that!!

I only wish you had found a phone somewhere and called the cops anyway. People like that should not be allowed to have a dog.

The incredible stupidity that causes a child to die is exactly the same. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have dogs OR children. It's unfathomable to me what kinds of thought processes occur in their brains. I can only imagine that an EEG would show a flat line.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
Wellington N
said by Wolfie00:

I only wish you had found a phone somewhere and called the cops anyway. People like that should not be allowed to have a dog.

100% hindsight I should have. I'm actually not sure if the police lay charges with pets locked in cars. I know if you call them they will get them out (breaking windows if need be).

A friend passed on this link the other day. I'm thinking of using them fall to spring when I see dogs left in cars.

»redrover.org/mydogiscool/fliers

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by A Lurker:

A friend passed on this link the other day. I'm thinking of using them fall to spring when I see dogs left in cars.

I think a sticker you paste on the car that can't be removed without damaging the paint is more appropriate.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by peterboro:

I think a sticker you paste on the car that can't be removed without damaging the paint is more appropriate.

I suspect that there will be stickers plastered all over the insides of cars about this soon enough.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to A Lurker
said by A Lurker:

Wow that was a great video, and the back window looked open enough for a small dog to get through. But that was insane, after 30m the inside hit almost 120F.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to A Lurker
said by A Lurker:

»redrover.org/mydogiscool/fliers

The rest of the time use this sort of tool, if the risk of killing their child/pet isn't enough, the hefty cost of replacement glass might make the message sink in.
»www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index···t=Resqme

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
reply to bt

Re: Time for the "locked in a hot car" stories again...

ok so what's the answer, smash a window or call authorities?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by jaberi:

ok so what's the answer, smash a window or call authorities?

If it's a child in a car on a hot day, call the 911 prior to smashing the window (they'll potentially give you the go-ahead).

If it's an animal, call the authorities and then wait if the animal seems like its not in distress. If it is, smash the window.

I busted out a window of a car in the early 90's, tied the dogs leash to the steering wheel and left the scene. I'd probably not do that today what will all the surveillance.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
Wellington N
reply to jaberi

Re: Time for the "locked in a hot car" stories again..

You know, I was talking with an Oakville cop the other day, but forgot to ask. We were talking about this specifically. Although they could lay charges, she was saying that they normally extracted the animal, but left it to animal control to lay the charges. She admitted she wasn't sure if they always did or not.

I honestly didn't think to ask her about whether breaking the window would get you in trouble.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
It could easily be a civil issue between you and the car owner. Not sure how a judge would weigh on that.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to bt
I see in the Star this morning that the grandmother, who had care of the child, in the Milton case is deaf. I had wondered if she was beginning to lose her memory and forgot that she did not drop off the child or something.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by donoreo:

I see in the Star this morning that the grandmother, who had care of the child, in the Milton case is deaf. I had wondered if she was beginning to lose her memory and forgot that she did not drop off the child or something.

Yeah, I think there's more to that story than what is being presented at face value.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I was imagining a scenario about this where you park the car and figure it's easier to take your bags into the house while the child is strapped in his car seat rather than have him loose in the house while you go back out to the car. So you take your stuff in and something distracts you (e.g., the phone rings, you look at a piece of mail you just picked up, etc.). Since the child isn't regularly with you (as it would be with a parent), it would be "easy" to forget that you'd left him in the car; and, it certainly doesn't take long in those conditions for a tragedy to occur.

The power of habit/ritual really is overwhelming. I drive the exact same route day after day, and I have to concentrate to deviate from that route when I'm taking part of it to get somewhere else. My body just makes the turns for me. The rituals associated with arriving home would be powerful as well, I would think (i.e., what you do when you walk in the house, what you check, where you put your keys down, etc., etc.). Forgetting a child in the car would be way too easy if he's not a part of that regular routine.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by Styvas:

Forgetting a child in the car would be way too easy if he's not a part of that regular routine.

I've seen some like that which involved good parents, regular folks, who just forgot.

In this case if the woman was older and DEAF that's bad.

If the kid was screaming, crying, and she walked away without hearing it!

-----

Unmentioned in all these stories is that this almost NEVER used to happen when the kids were allowed to be in the FRONT SEAT.

But because of the crash safety concerns and air bag issues, the little kids must be kept in the back seat where they are tragically forgotten, as here.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by donoreo:

Yeah, I think there's more to that story than what is being presented at face value.

It's probably why charges haven't been laid but hopefully the information comes to light as right now, it reads as though an older deaf woman left a 2 year old child in a hot car long enough to kill him. Still a pretty big deal regardless...

Kahless2k

join:2009-06-13
Brantford, ON
reply to PX Eliezer
The thing is that if she was deaf to the point of not hearing the child... Should she have been allowed to drive? Forgetting the tragedy at hand here for a moment, but that seems almost as dangerous as leaving the child in the car.

She took responsibility for her passengers when she got in the drivers seat, I wouldn't be giving her a pass because she was deaf.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

It's probably why charges haven't been laid but hopefully the information comes to light as right now, it reads as though an older deaf woman left a 2 year old child in a hot car long enough to kill him. Still a pretty big deal regardless...

Well, like I said, there have been situations in the past where someone realizes they can't find their child, frantically search the house and neighbourhood and completely forgets to check the car. But yeah, the fact that charges haven't been laid lead me to believe that this might have been a tragic accident rather than negligence and/or neglect on the part of the grandmother.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by Gone:

said by urbanriot:

Well, like I said, there have been situations in the past where someone realizes they can't find their child, frantically search the house and neighbourhood and completely forgets to check the car. But yeah, the fact that charges haven't been laid lead me to believe that this might have been a tragic accident rather than negligence and/or neglect on the part of the grandmother.

I think so as well. Poor woman. I also think of the poor child, they must have been scared too It makes me so sad overall.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
He probably fell asleep and that was it.

The whole situation bothers me. I keep picturing my own boy and it makes me very upset and sick to my stomach.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by Gone:

He probably fell asleep and that was it.

The whole situation bothers me. I keep picturing my own boy and it makes me very upset and sick to my stomach.

It does me as well.

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
reply to bt
Edmonton city police warn that charges will be laid if children are left in sweltering vehciles

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
said by jaberi:

Edmonton city police warn that charges will be laid if children are left in sweltering vehciles

It's a hot one here today, apparently the hottest day in Edmonton since records began in 1880's (only because of the very high humidty). 33C, with the Humidex it's 43C. Tornado warnings this evening. Might be a long, sleepless night.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Well, like I said, there have been situations in the past where someone realizes they can't find their child, frantically search the house and neighbourhood and completely forgets to check the car.

I remember this one all too well:

CAMDEN, NJ, June 24, 2005 - The father of one of three boys who vanished from Camden's hardscrabble streets made a horrifying discovery Friday night when he lifted the trunk of a car parked just feet away from where the boys were last seen and found his son and two playmates dead.

It was not clear whether the boys, who had been missing since Wednesday, climbed into the trunk and got locked in by accident or whether they were put there by someone....

It was also not clear why the 150 police officers who had been searching rivers, drainpipes and tick-infested woods for the last two days had not searched the trunk of a car parked in the yard of the home where the boys disappeared....

»www.nytimes.com/2005/06/25/nyreg···tml?_r=0

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
reply to jaberi
said by jaberi:

Well, that didn't take long.

quote:
Childs condition unknown after being left in car.

By Mariam Ibrahim, Edmonton Journal July 2, 2013 10:21 PM

EDMONTON - A child was in hospital in unknown condition Tuesday night after being left unattended in a vehicle in northeast Edmonton as temperatures soared above 30 C.

Police responded shortly after 6:30 p.m. to the Parkridge Estates townhouse complex at 2908 116A Ave., after receiving reports of a child in medical distress, said Edmonton police spokeswoman Leila Daoud.

Daoud said she did not know how long the child had been left in the vehicle before police were called. She also could not say who was caring for the child at the time.

»www.edmontonjournal.com/life/Chi···ory.html