J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1

Re: Time for the "locked in a hot car" stories again..

said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Gone:

said by urbanriot:

Walmart in Fort Erie, not pet friendly.

... speaking of which...

»www.forterietimes.ca/201 ··· ort-erie

On Tuesday, the Fort Erie SPCA and Niagara Regional Police were called to the Walmart parking lot on Garrison Rd. after receiving a call about a dog left in a vehicle. The owner was located and the dog was removed.

A bowl of water was left in the vehicle.

Shit, I'd like to take that owner, tie him in a fur coat (to simulate being a dog), and then put HIM in a locked vehicle. Being sure to leave a bowl of water, of course.

-----

Seriously:

Look, I am sure that we are having these incidents in the US too, but OTOH we have much more population.

I have never heard of so many in Canada, as this year. Canadians are usually smart.

Did some sort of mass stupidity virus take hold this year? Or is it that Canadians are not accustomed to such high temperatures?

It's always going on. Our SPCA (Kitchener-Waterloo Humane Society) criminally charges a lot of people for leaving animals in cars, they get dozens of calls a day. Yesterday, they found a dog in a car and the temperature was 70C, 158F. They also found another kid in a car, that one didn't make the news though.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

1 edit

urbanriot to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

I have never heard of so many in Canada, as this year. Canadians are usually smart.

Did some sort of mass stupidity virus take hold this year? Or is it that Canadians are not accustomed to such high temperatures?

There's nothing different about this year than every other, it's a normal story. What's changed is that with the death of that kid, these locked in car stories are given more attention than before or at least it seems people care more. People seem to be more vigilant concerning children and animals locked in cars in a way I haven't seen before.

Well, that and (at least around here) southern Ontario Canadians seem to briefly forget how to react to certain seasonal temperature changes. When we have our first snowfall, people forget how to drive in a literal sense and violate traffic rules for no explainable reason. Things get ridiculously hot and they forget their dog needs a window down.

Edit: I just wanted to add that when I wrote "nothing different about this year", it's possible the child that died was the something different that increased the awareness. I'm not sure, I can't recall a child that's died in a hot car since maybe the 90's or 80's.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to bt

Premium Member

to bt
Well, I guess they now think it's ok to leave children in a car if the ac is left going.

"Pickering mom charged after kids left alone in running car
Durham police warn of safety risks even if air conditioning is switched on"

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/t ··· car.html

Are there really people this stupid? I definitely think this is a double face palm moment!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Jackorama:

Are there really people this stupid? I definitely think this is a double face palm moment!

One of them was nine years old. I was left in the car alone while my parents ran into the store at that age more times than I can count and I'm still here. Laying charges for that is kind of retarded.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama

Premium Member

Yes, but my parents never left the keys in the car and there was no infant to take care of. At nine years old I couldn't take care of an infant and my parents wouldn't expect me to.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr

said by Jackorama:

Yes, but my parents never left the keys in the car and there was no infant to take care of. At nine years old I couldn't take care of an infant and my parents wouldn't expect me to.

My parents also left me alone in a running vehicle at the age of 9.

I know of a 9 year old who has the capability to take basic care of an infant for a short period of time. Her sister being slightly older has the skill set required to care for both of them.

Maybe parents should start teaching their kids how to be responsible people rather than pretending they never have to grow up.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Jackorama

Premium Member

to Jackorama
said by Jackorama:

At nine years old my one sister was more than capable of watching my other sister for 15 minutes inside a running car while one of our parents ran into the store. I did it when I was 11. I'm now 30. My one sister is 28. The other is 19.

While there is a genuine concern about infants, toddlers and animals being left alone in cars, this is now getting ridiculous. What's next, a parent getting busted for leaving a 15 year old alone with an infant in a car?

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to Robrr

Premium Member

to Robrr
In the early 70's we actually could be kids at that age. I became responsible with my first job at age 11 and worked all the way through high school and college (paid for it myself). I call that a pretty responsible kid, working after school, weekends and keeping good grades.

Doesn't matter if a 9 year old has basic care, anything major can happen in a short time.

There are laws about how old a child can be left on their own or take care of another child, that have been around for a long enough time that parents should know about them.

It's been in the news enough about parents being charged/fined and in a lot of cases CAS is called on them with the threat of taking their children from them. Are you really going to chance that happen when you know people will be watching because of all the news coverage lately?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I think I would know the capabilities of my children better than someone who glances at them in a car or a cop who has never met them before in his life.

Ten bucks says that if this woman is a capable parent who knows the same, the charges will be dropped quickly.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama

Premium Member

In Kingston, when ever a child or small children are left alone in a car, the CAS is called in along with the police.

Maybe, the police charges could be dropped as you say, but when the CAS is involved it becomes a nightmare to prove you are a fit and capable parent. And once in the CAS system it's hard to get removed from when you are found to be a fit and capable parent.

This maybe why we haven't had any kids left in cars around here for a few years. But it doesn't mean it still won't happen.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Jackorama

to Jackorama
Busy thread.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama

Premium Member

Something definitely going on with the threads tonight. I've been getting 2 pages of posts on one, flashing IM notice with nothing there and pages with only half the threads listed.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Quick! Hide under the kitchen table the internets is about to blow.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

with the AC going, windows and doors closed...is it possible for a child to get hypothermia if left for a long time in the vehicle?

not sure what CAS needs to investigate, it's pretty cut and dry is it not, did you leave your child unattended in your car on a public parking lot, yes or no?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by jaberi:

did you leave your child unattended in your car on a public parking lot, yes or no?

So it is your contention that a nine year old is incapable of opening a car door and going into the store to find their parents if they need them?

With attitudes and assumptions like yours, no wonder kids live with their parents until they're 30.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

with the AC going, windows and doors closed...is it possible for a child to get hypothermia if left for a long time in the vehicle?

not sure what CAS needs to investigate, it's pretty cut and dry is it not, did you leave your child unattended in your car on a public parking lot, yes or no?

I think the concern is more about the keys being left and car running. A running car in the hands of a curious 9 year old can have a very bad outcome.

This is not about someone parked in front of a 7-11 or Mac's which is easy to keep an eye on your car. These incidents are happening in mall parking lots, where once inside a mall you can't keep an eye on your car.

The CAS gets involved because there are laws against leaving your children in the car under a certain age. The CAS gets involved in Kingston, but I don't know about other cities. Back in the early 70's when I was a child there were no laws for this.

I think if you were in a little country town like Verona, Seeleys Bay, Harrowsmith, Elgen, Camdon East, etc., no one would bat an eye about a child left in a car while a parent pops into a store. When you get into bigger cities people are watching because there are parents that would leave their child in a hot car and go shopping for long periods of time. And to say I'm only popping into the store for 5 min. to pick up one thing can turn into a half hour easily. One cashier open and long line of people waiting, running into someone you know and getting into a conversation, etc.

If you are in an area where the CAS would get involved, I wouldn't want to put that kind of stress on a child.

People say leave your pets at home when it is to hot to leave them in the car, which is what should be done. Why can't people leave their children with a babysitter/family member at home when they want to run errands and do not want to take their children in with them?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Jackorama:

Why can't people leave their children with a babysitter/family member at home when they want to run errands and do not want to take their children in with them?

Hahahaha! Life doesn't work like that. Sometimes you have no choice to go do something with no one to watch your children.

Seriously, a nine year old in a running car - something that my parents used to trust me with all the time, in a city of 130,000 people. If that's such a huge problem that police would see fit to lay charges, our society is more fucked than I originally suspected and 30 year olds who are afraid to leave home is the least of our problems.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr

said by Gone:

Seriously, a nine year old in a running car - something that my parents used to trust me with all the time, in a city of 130,000 people. If that's such a huge problem that police would see fit to lay charges, our society is more fucked than I originally suspected and 30 year olds who are afraid to leave home is the least of our problems.

Yes our society is that fucked. People are so paranoid that they can no longer think or do anything for themselves.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

Sometimes you have to think about other people (not just your own kids):

»www.nbcdfw.com/news/loca ··· 291.html

Police said a man went inside a business in the shopping center in the 2200 block of Preston Road at around 4:20 p.m. Friday and left his 10-year-old son and the family pet inside the car with the car running. When the man came back the car, the child and the pet were gone.

It ended well, but I'm guessing he won't be leaving his kids in the car with it running again.

Hey, most kids are likely okay left on their own for a short period of time. What they may not be equipped for is dealing with problems that arise. I found an example of a 5 yr old locked in a car with two younger children. The 2 yr old died. They were there for an hour and were banging on the windows. Not sure why the 5 yr old couldn't open the door (wasn't enough info).

»www.foxnews.com/world/20 ··· n-india/

I suppose the short answer is that it's illegal to leave children unattended so it's probably best not to do it.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Jackorama:

Why can't people leave their children with a babysitter/family member at home when they want to run errands and do not want to take their children in with them?

Hahahaha! Life doesn't work like that. Sometimes you have no choice to go do something with no one to watch your children.

Then you take the risk and when you get caught, you have to deal with it.

You as a nine year old in a running car may have been an exception, not all children are like you. It takes one incident to ruin it for everyone else. If I was was left in a running car at 9, I would have tried to drive it. Because as a child I was curious about everything.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to A Lurker

Premium Member

to A Lurker
A five year old is a bit young, but that depends on the child. Some five year olds are surprisingly smart, while others still need to be treated like a toddler. I remember when I was five and was more than capable of getting in and out of the car on my own, but I can't say that for all children. My parents were also never so stupid as to leave us alone in a situation where they thought the car could be stolen, and they also never enabled those stupid child safety locks, either.
Gone

Gone to Jackorama

Premium Member

to Jackorama
said by Jackorama:

If I was was left in a running car at 9, I would have tried to drive it. Because as a child I was curious about everything.

I would argue that curiosity had nothing to do with it and rather your parents weren't doing a very good job if you didn't know at nine years old that trying to drive the car - no matter how curious you were - was a bad thing to do.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

and they also never enabled those stupid child safety locks, either.

I thought the safety locks only worked for the back seat. However, a 5 year old may not have even thought to climb into the front seat.
A Lurker

1 recommendation

A Lurker to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

I would argue that curiosity had nothing to do with it and rather your parents weren't doing a very good job if you didn't know at nine years old that trying to drive the car - no matter how curious you were - was a bad thing to do.

I might have tried it as well. Maybe not at 9, but if even a couple of years older I likely would have. I did lots of things as a kid that were stupid, and showed bad judgement. Some children listen and some don't. Doesn't always mean the parents haven't tried to teach them what's dangerous.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

If that's something you would have done at nine years old, god bless your parents for not throwing you into a lake out of frustration.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by Gone:

If that's something you would have done at nine years old, god bless your parents for not throwing you into a lake out of frustration.

Let's put it this way, when I graduated from high school and could have commuted to post secondary classes (it was close enough) my mother took me apartment hunting. I'm sure she was happy when it was ready in August.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

1 edit

Jackorama to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I think my parents did a great job raising us kids, we have great morals, one is obeying the law. Never been in trouble with the law, was responsible from a young age, worked and went to school at the same time because I wanted to, and never gave my parents any reason to not trust me. I learned from my mistakes, no one took that responsibility away from me.

I have the feeling that you would not take to kindly to anyone who would accused you of not doing a good job with your children because you do not have the same views as them. I don't take kindly to it either.

Shit, Kingston has so many child sex offenders here I wouldn't trust it. Kingston had to close a halfway house because of it being to close to a school and the area was a occupied by families with young children. »www.thewhig.com/2008/09/ ··· man-says »www.cbc.ca/news/canada/o ··· 606.html

Too many of these people are opportunist. You give them the opportunity, they take it. I would not take the risk. But that's me, you want to take the risk then go ahead.

Edit: This is for all the people who think 30 year olds live at home with their parents. I moved out on my own after College, in my early 20's and have lived on my own ever since. But, I do help look after my parents during medical emergencies and recoveries. I will always be there for my parents. In the future I see myself and my mother living together like her neighbors, the daughter is in her 80's and her mother is 105.
Jackorama

Jackorama to A Lurker

Premium Member

to A Lurker
said by A Lurker:

said by Gone:

I might have tried it as well. Maybe not at 9, but if even a couple of years older I likely would have. I did lots of things as a kid that were stupid, and showed bad judgement. Some children listen and some don't. Doesn't always mean the parents haven't tried to teach them what's dangerous.

This ^

I never listened, was in a world of my own most of the time and gave my parents a lot of grieve. The things I did had consequences and I learned from them. As the saying goes "You made you bed, now you have to lay in it.".
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to Gone

to Gone
that is your assumption, not my contention.....which has nothing to do with the question i asked.
jaberi

jaberi to Jackorama

to Jackorama
my question is a genuine curiosity and related to all toddlers who are left in the car with the AC running, if left long enough can they suffer from hypothermia?

as for CAS irrespective what area it happens, launching an investigation serves what purpose?
it's very obvious the child was left in a vehicle on a public property...what is there to investigate?