Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

Power Usage

So I got the electric bill today for the last month. Even though the A/C has been on daily and I have mostly older appliances and incandescent lights I only used 394 kWh for a total electric bill of...$35. Seems a little low to me, but I do have one of those new meters now so that may be why.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
check the number of days for the billing period.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to sk1939
Does seem kind of low. That's about what we use and we have no A/C, CFL lights through most of the house, gas heat and gas hot water.

Though is yours just a small window A/C, or a large whole-house split system?

What were the readings before with the old (mechanical?) meter?

PS: I wish we had your very low electricity rates. Ours is $0.12/kWh plus they throw in a whole bunch of additional delivery and administrative fees.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
reply to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

check the number of days for the billing period.

30 days, like normal.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to sk1939
Trade ya!

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

Does seem kind of low. That's about what we use and we have no A/C, CFL lights through most of the house, gas heat and gas hot water.

Though is yours just a small window A/C, or a large whole-house split system?

What were the readings before with the old (mechanical?) meter?

About the same, although it is usually around 450 kWh even with the new meter. It's the standard whole-house system, although I don't know the size (1400 sqft house). Gas heat, water heater, and dryer though. Whole bill (including gas) is around $65.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to sk1939
Do not want to see this months bill when it comes. Going up to maybe 120 this weekend.
Yes it is a dry heat. So much better.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Yea, but you don't have to use the stove to cook an egg- some energy savings there. Just crack it on the sidewalk. LOL
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
reply to sk1939
If your power company is like mine, next month your bill will be $600.00.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
reply to sk1939
My money says its and estimate bill, wait till the next actual reading come through

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
said by guppy_fish:

My money says its and estimate bill, wait till the next actual reading come through

Second

Or the PREVIOUS bill was estimated and they overcharged you

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

I don't know how they would estimate with a smart meter. They also include the previous months reading, and the past two months I've used a total of 840 kWh.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to sk1939
2100 kWh here last month and it's just now getting HOT!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
said by mityfowl:

2100 kWh here last month and it's just now getting HOT!

Jeezus, do you have a grow op?

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to mityfowl
2654kwh for me this month, to the tune of 340.00 on budget billing. next couple months will be high usage, then late sept thru to Dec will be low usage but same bill amount until we catch up. the joys of a 35 year old all electric home with 2 separate HVAC systems and leaky single pane aluminum frame floor to ceiling windows!

before we replaced one of the HVAC systems a few years back the usage during July/August and Jan/Feb was over 7000kwh a month, especially during the cold months. the old furnace was electric, the heat pump really knocked the usage down.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
reply to sk1939
Given all of this it seems my 500 kWh power usage is abnormal for anyone with a house. I mean I have new windows, but this was a house built in the 60's and has had little energy-efficient updating since then (I still have mostly two-prong outlets!)

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
said by sk1939:

said by guppy_fish:

I don't know how they would estimate with a smart meter. They also include the previous months reading, and the past two months I've used a total of 840 kWh.

Is the smart meter actually on the network yet? Can you see your hourly usage on a website?

When Edison installed smart meters here, they were effectively digital "stupid" meters for several months. They were still read by a meter reader (incorrectly in my case, as they didn't properly apply the net metering for my solar).

It's hard to compare your usage with others. You said the A/C is on daily, but we don't know how big a system it is, how old it is, what your average daily temperature is, etc.

Thinking of other big energy consumers - How new is your refrigerator? How many are in your household? How big is your TV (if you have one at all) and how often do you watch it?

PS: I wish we had your very low electricity rates. Ours is $0.12/kWh plus they throw in a whole bunch of additional delivery and administrative fees.

LOL. Ours can be over $.30/kWh. There's a reason I put in solar panels... In our old 1400 sq foot house we had a $600 electric bill for one month, just due to heavy AC usage! I think that was the bill that started my obsession with investing in lowering my energy bill.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by djrobx:

Is the smart meter actually on the network yet? Can you see your hourly usage on a website?

When Edison installed smart meters here, they were effectively digital "stupid" meters for several months. They were still read by a meter reader (incorrectly in my case, as they didn't properly apply the net metering for my solar).

It's hard to compare your usage with others. You said the A/C is on daily, but we don't know how big a system it is, how old it is, what your average daily temperature is, etc.

Thinking of other big energy consumers - How new is your refrigerator? How many are in your household? How big is your TV (if you have one at all) and how often do you watch it?

LOL. Ours can be over $.30/kWh. There's a reason I put in solar panels... In our old 1400 sq foot house we had a $600 electric bill for one month, just due to heavy AC usage! I think that was the bill that started my obsession with investing in lowering my energy bill.

I have no idea as it's one of the things I refuse to do on the internet (along will online bill-pay and online banking). Electricity is something like $.08-.10 kWh.

The outside compressor is only a couple years old (27A @ 240V, but the inside unit (Amana) is at least 20 years old with the T-stat at 76 at night and 78/80 during the day. Weather here has been mid 80's to low 90's with between 66 and 100% humidity. 2 people in household, TV uses 67.9 W and is on about 3 hours a day, refrigerator is from 2008.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to sk1939
That's low - I average about 27 kwh/day with the air on, so between 800-1000 kwh per billing cycle...

I'd say something got missed/somebody goofed.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
reply to sk1939
Just go outside and read you meter and compare to the what is shown on the Bill?

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to sk1939
I assume you're in Pepco territory. When my office had its smartmeter installed last year, they wrote down the wrong CT ratio and my bill went from $1200/month to $30/month. It took many calls and site visits for them to figure it out. It stayed like this for a good 6 months before they sorted it out, and they never corrected for the difference.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to sk1939
I've been averaging about 100-106 kWh per day this month.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to alkizmo
Not uncommon for me to use 100-105 kWh a day here, and as it gets hotter, that will go way up.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PSWired
said by PSWired:

I assume you're in Pepco territory. When my office had its smartmeter installed last year, they wrote down the wrong CT ratio and my bill went from $1200/month to $30/month. It took many calls and site visits for them to figure it out. It stayed like this for a good 6 months before they sorted it out, and they never corrected for the difference.

Nope, Dominion fortunately.

I'll take a look at the meter when I get home.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to sk1939
Ok, so you have a newer refrigerator and A/C compressor. You keep the thermostat relatively high (I know people that keep it at 72).

The inside unit is old but the blower isn't as significant of an energy hog as the outside compressor. Sounds like your TV is relatively efficient (for comaprison - my old plasma used 573W) and you don't watch it all that much.

Sounds like your biggest energy-eaters are newer. That's probably a lot of why your usage is relatively low.

--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

saywhat1

@optonline.net
reply to PSWired
said by PSWired:

I never saw someone so determined to get a high bill before, maybe if you ask them, they'll increase the rates for you??. at least maybe they'll let you pay the +-$6000 they would have charged you. I think miscalculations happen more often then most people think, usually on the side of the POCO..

propcgamer

join:2001-10-10
reply to sk1939
Do you have a 3rd party generation service? (Possibly even WGES?)
On my Pepco bill this month, it said they were unable to get the bill from the 3rd party generation provider and it would show up next month.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to saywhat1
Obviously the point of having it corrected was to avoid a 5 figure electric bill once they figured it out and trued up the past usage.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to propcgamer
said by propcgamer:

Do you have a 3rd party generation service? (Possibly even WGES?)

I do, and it's Constellation Energy (parent of BGE), but there was no such notice. I was gone half of last month, and I have no idea how much power the Queen uses, but apparently it's not very much.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Cricket Broadband
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to sk1939
Click for full size
I am using smart hours 2PM to 7PM peak price from 5 cents to 44 cencts KWH depends on demans off peak 7 PM to 2PM the next day and weeksends 5 cents KWH. So right not I am at 5cents perKWH. normal rates are 10 cents per KWH in the summer. Its been hot all week.

»ogepet.com/programs/smarthours.a ··· urs.aspx