dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Glad not ready til 2015docsis 4 »
This is a sub-selection from Puny upstream.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to GlennLouEarl

to GlennLouEarl

Re: Puny upstream.

said by GlennLouEarl:

As a rule, we don't have slower/cheaper tiers available. I can get either FiOS or Comcast. The slowest tiers available are around 15/5, and the cheapest prices are around $70-75/mo.

15/5 is the slow speed, although 5 is quite a bit higher than the avg connection speed but that is FiOS. There shouldn't be anything less than that. $70 - $75 for an Internet connection?! of what speed? that is nuts.
said by GlennLouEarl:

Yes, I know there are many who do presently use their upstream for stuff and could use something faster. Still, they are--by far--the exception, not the rule.

When so many North American broadband connections are still at pathetically low levels of 2Mbps or less for upstream then I'd disagree. As connection speeds on the avg go up then I'd tend to agree but the avg connection speeds are still too slow.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

I just told you what speed. Check their websites (of course, there are some regional differences--what I referenced was for around here).

I'm talking about "typical", not "average". The typical person almost never uses more than 5/1. If you've got a house with 5 people where no more than 3 of them are expected to be "online" simultaneously, then you typically need only 15/3 (fluff it up to 15/5 if you like). That's life in the typical information superhighway lane.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by GlennLouEarl:

I just told you what speed. Check their websites (of course, there are some regional differences--what I referenced was for around here).

So $70 - $75 for 15/5? Crazy. But looking at their site that includes TV service.

Where I am I am paying $45 CDN ($43 USD) for 25/2 cable Internet (no TV).
said by GlennLouEarl:

I'm talking about "typical", not "average". The typical person almost never uses more than 5/1. If you've got a house with 5 people where no more than 3 of them are expected to be "online" simultaneously, then you typically need only 15/3 (fluff it up to 15/5 if you like). That's life in the typical information superhighway lane.

What is typical or average is not the same as it was a few years ago. If people didn't use this stuff the providers wouldn't be upgrading their speed tiers across the board. 1Mbps up nowadays for the typical/average joe is too slow.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Where you are isn't where I am, and both Verizon and Comcast do it pretty much the same everywhere else to the south of you. I'm so happy for you that your location is delightfully fast and cheap--congrats!

But since I am where I am ("the states"), and I don't plan to drop service in 6 months, nor want to get 1 or 2 other services in order to make the one I want to have cost a little less (meaning I don't want to pay Verizon and Comcast $150/mo in order to save $10 or $15 a month on Internet service), I guess I'm stuck with what's available here (along with some hundreds of millions of others). Oh, well... too bad, so sad.

You really don't know what you're talking about. Feel free, though, to continue ignoring reality.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by GlennLouEarl:

Oh, well... too bad, so sad.

Ya, sucks to be you.
said by GlennLouEarl:

You really don't know what you're talking about. Feel free, though, to continue ignoring reality.

I could say the same to you.
« Glad not ready til 2015docsis 4 »
This is a sub-selection from Puny upstream.