Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

For the tourists

So far, this is for the tourists. Verizon doesn't want to keep paying roaming fees to ACS. They still will in some places, but this will cut it down. If it weren't for tourism, I doubt they'd even want to be in Alaska. AT&T owns the state. They have the best coverage in most places, fast data, etc.
kalanic00
join:2006-07-16
Anchorage, AK

kalanic00

said by BiggA:

So far, this is for the tourists. Verizon doesn't want to keep paying roaming fees to ACS. They still will in some places, but this will cut it down. If it weren't for tourism, I doubt they'd even want to be in Alaska. AT&T owns the state. They have the best coverage in most places, fast data, etc.

There are a lot of folks, including myself, who have relocated to Alaska from other Verizon-served areas. Also, there is a large military community. I believe Verizon is trying to better serve us transplants, while saving on roaming fees in the future. I, personally, am glad to see competition in Alaska's broadband market!
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

True. That's another market of folks who are coming in and out and probably using quite a bit of data. Sucks for ACS, that's for sure. Their EVDO network was probably raking in the data roaming revenue.