ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx

Re: Power Usage

said by djrobx:

Is the smart meter actually on the network yet? Can you see your hourly usage on a website?

When Edison installed smart meters here, they were effectively digital "stupid" meters for several months. They were still read by a meter reader (incorrectly in my case, as they didn't properly apply the net metering for my solar).

It's hard to compare your usage with others. You said the A/C is on daily, but we don't know how big a system it is, how old it is, what your average daily temperature is, etc.

Thinking of other big energy consumers - How new is your refrigerator? How many are in your household? How big is your TV (if you have one at all) and how often do you watch it?

PS: I wish we had your very low electricity rates. Ours is $0.12/kWh plus they throw in a whole bunch of additional delivery and administrative fees.

LOL. Ours can be over $.30/kWh. There's a reason I put in solar panels... In our old 1400 sq foot house we had a $600 electric bill for one month, just due to heavy AC usage! I think that was the bill that started my obsession with investing in lowering my energy bill.

I have no idea as it's one of the things I refuse to do on the internet (along will online bill-pay and online banking). Electricity is something like $.08-.10 kWh.

The outside compressor is only a couple years old (27A @ 240V, but the inside unit (Amana) is at least 20 years old with the T-stat at 76 at night and 78/80 during the day. Weather here has been mid 80's to low 90's with between 66 and 100% humidity. 2 people in household, TV uses 67.9 W and is on about 3 hours a day, refrigerator is from 2008.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

Ok, so you have a newer refrigerator and A/C compressor. You keep the thermostat relatively high (I know people that keep it at 72).

The inside unit is old but the blower isn't as significant of an energy hog as the outside compressor. Sounds like your TV is relatively efficient (for comaprison - my old plasma used 573W) and you don't watch it all that much.

Sounds like your biggest energy-eaters are newer. That's probably a lot of why your usage is relatively low.