uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Dell U2410 vs U2413?

I bought a pair of U2410s a month or so back and apparently Dell Q/A sucks for their "Premium" displays because out of 4 displays I've looked at, only 1 was consistent enough for me, the others had very obvious hotspots in the center of the panel. Well apparently Dell stopped manufacture of U2410s and ran out of their "new" stock so they gave me an option to replace 1 of the 2 monitors that still has a hotspot with a U2413. I told them I purchased 2 monitors at the same time to keep the aging between the panels the same and I don't want mismatched monitors so if they're going to replace 1 of the monitors they need to replace both, or give me a partial refund on the monitor with a hotspot.

The U2413s arrived (They oped to replace both). On paper the U2413 is a batter monitor but they got rid of all the extra inputs that the U2410 had (no more second DVI, no more VGA which I do understand is old but my new Dell Xeon server has only VGA, no more component or composite). I have yet to open the U2413s to see the color quality and consistency.....

The general question is would you care about the missing inputs?
Right now I have 3 computers wired up to each of the monitors giving me 1 PC with dual monitors and 1 PC with three monitors and my Xeon server with the VGA input in case I need to look at the ESXi console.
--
-Stupidity, like hydrogen, is one of the basic building blocks of the Universe.
-Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Misc

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
I wouldn't care about a missing VGA input, since you can easily get an adaptor for that.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
Smithtown, NY
I'm more disappointed with the lack of the 2nd DVI input.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
Smithtown, NY
reply to Nick
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
This is the first of the two replacement U2413 Dell monitors. Did Dell fire the whole Quality Assurance department?
I notice that they changed the packaging from styrofoam to cardboard with U2413s and I guess this is the end result. I don't even know if it's worth for me to open the 2nd one, it probably has similar damage.

I feel like I work for Dell now, wasting my time checking their monitors for them. So far out of 7 monitors only 1 is of acceptable quality. How are they making any money?
--
-Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Misc

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
said by Nick:

So far out of 7 monitors only 1 is of acceptable quality. How are they making any money?

Most people don't complain? We're going back to Dell, from HP, at work. Hope this isn't an indication of what we have to look forward to. Though our monitors are from a different vendor.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
Smithtown, NY
I don't know if it's a matter of people complaining or not but I ordered 2xU2410 monitors for a dual photo editing workstation at home, the first batch I received had an apparent gradation from green to pink to green which is documented in many forums/reviews. I figured I will take my chances since only a small amount of people who buy stuff leave reviews.

First 2 - had the issue...I stare at a monitor 14 hours a day so it's quite apparent.
Dell sent me replacement monitors 3 weeks later after the issue was brought to their attention. 1 monitor has the same problem and the other as well but it's the least noticeable of the 4.

Dell said they will send me a new replacement for the monitor but they sent me a refurbished one I didn't even bother opening. I didn't buy refurbished ones, I bought new ones.

Dell told me they are out of new U2410s so they can either send me refurbished or replace one of the monitors with a U2413. I didn't buy mismatched monitors so if they're going to replace one of them they need to replace the other one....Fine, they agreed and sent me two U2413s. The first one is busted right out of the box and has a backlight leak on the right edge. The other one is sitting in a box until they call me and tell me what they are going to do.

Obviously I'm a bit frustrated with Dell at this point. They may have great corporate support and I have no complaints against them with my corporate laptops that I've had throughout the years but if they market their $600 monitors as PremierColor and Professional grade I can't see them staying in that user space for long with the crap they delivered to my door over the last 2 months.
--

Misc

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to Nick
Bought a U2412M some time ago -- returned it within a week. The "IPS glow" coming from it, combined with the type of AG coating they chose to use, made the corners (top/bottom right/left) basically unreadable even in a well-lit room. Yes, these matter to me greatly (systray is very important to me). Back to Dell it went for a full refund.

I absolutely love my 2407WFP -- none of these kinds of stupid issues, at least on the revision I have (some revisions did have problems). Mine does have extremely high input lag in addition to an issue relating to certain colour patterns (grey/white combinations) causing movement to render as pink/red or green (there is a workaround for this by setting the raw RGB values to very specific values). Newer monitors don't have those issues, but in exchange you get other idiocies like the ones I mentioned in my previous paragraph. And I cannot justify the cost of a high-end display (e.g. US$700+), considering I didn't pay that much for my 2407WFP either.

I personally want less inputs on the monitor -- why? One of the biggest problems with Dell monitors that have lots of inputs is increased input lag (for all inputs). This has to do with the added chips used to do signal processing and adjustments (things like deinterlacing, signal decoding, and other stuff). Sometimes there are "GAME" modes that you can pick that turn these off (with some features being disabled as a result), but other times no such thing. If you need component (or even composite -- yes I've used mine!) input, get an actual TV -- the circuitry and other innards are actually quite different (better).

Sure, dual DVI input would be a nicety, but it's not a requirement for me. I was hoping to use the U2412M as my primary monitor with my 2407WFP as a secondary, but nope, I'll stick with just one LCD until this utter idiocy with LCD panels stops -- or the technology gets replaced with something better (OLED comes to mind, but the downsides -- particularly lifespan -- is a problem). Honestly there should just be an LCD manufacturer that lets you "build your own", i.e. I want an 24" S-PVA panel at 1920x1200, with a specific kind of AG coating, DVI input only, and LED backlighting. Build it and ship it.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Nick
I've read a lot of people complain about the AG coating on some of these Dell monitors. When researching my recent monitor upgrade, Dell just generally had worse opinions from people. That's why I strayed away from them.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
Smithtown, NY
reply to Nick
I have a pair of 2407WFPs as well that served me very well for a number of years...One bit the dust a while back probably from a bad inverter board or capacitors and I haven't had time/desire to try to fix it.

I bought a pair of U2410s to be the replacement for a reasonable price and now I have to deal with this idiocy from Dell. I get daily (on weekdays) calls from Dell India where I deal with nice but helpless reps who try to resolve the problem with the tools they are given but they can't do Q/A on these monitors apparently.

I like the matte AG coatings of Dells, I'll take that over the glossy Apple displays.

I agree with the lag and more inputs but any decent monitor should have:
VGA x 1
HDMI x1
DVI x 2
DisplayPort/MiniDisplayPort x 2

I don't truly care for component or composite and probably VGA inputs but considering Dell's very own servers are still coming with VGA only they should at least throw in an adapter for VGA to one of the newer ports.
--

Misc

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
There are different kinds of matte AG coatings, and that's one of the reasons why I had such issues with the IPS glow on the U2412M. Apparently the matte AG coating they used on the 2407WFP is not the same kind of matte AG coating they used on the U2412M. Reference thread for all that:

»hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039361100

My post starts near the bottom. I learned a lot from that.

P.S. -- Ah, looks like I got the panel from Amazon, not Dell directly, so that'd explain the ease of return. Guess I was remembering the time I tried a U2410 (I think?), and absolutely hated the bright blue and beeping buttons on the right side of the panel. Drove me crazy, burning a hole in my eyeball... o_O;;; Haha.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.