All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

blkhwks19

join:2013-06-28

[DIRECTV] Will DirecTV waive my early termination fee?

Ive been with them for several years but about a year ago I added some service (whole home dvr) that renewed my contract for another 2 years, which was fine.

Now, 1 year into that contract, Im moving back in with my parents because I can no longer afford to keep my house (which is hard enough as it is). Ive heard DirecTV has been known to waive the early termination fee if you move to a place thats out of their coverage area or that cannot have a dish installed. Im pretty sure my parents house can have a dish installed but they already have AT&T U-Verse and are not about to cancel THEIR contract and pay AT&T an early termination fee, just so we can install a DirecTV dish. As a guest in their house now, I couldnt ask them to do that anyways, they are gracious enough to have me back.

Would telling DirecTV all of this get me anywhere with waiving that fee? I dont want to lie and just tell them I cant install a dish (Im pretty sure they will send a rep out to verify anyways) but this really is something out of my control.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Call them and tell them what's up.

Though, there's nothing that precludes (technology wise) you from putting up a dish at their house and using it while they use U-Verse.

blkhwks19

join:2013-06-28
Yeah I mean i suppose we could have 2 systems in the same house, we would just have a ridiculous amount of cables run throughout the house. But realistically that seems pretty silly and more work than its worth. I just hope they agree with me, though Im thinking they will probably say "oh well, too bad".

Any other thoughts/angles to help convince them? Should i request to speak with anyone in particular or anything like that in order to get something done?

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
kudos:1
It is their house and if you are 'renting' from them perhaps as 'landlord' they might prohibit 'tenets' from installing a dish.

Just a thought, I have no experience in this regard.

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to blkhwks19
said by blkhwks19:

Any other thoughts/angles to help convince them? Should i request to speak with anyone in particular or anything like that in order to get something done?

I've got nothing for you to say to them, but remember that a couple-hundred bucks ETF is going to be a lot cheaper over-all than another year of $50-$150 a month the service is costing you right now.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to blkhwks19
said by blkhwks19:

Yeah I mean i suppose we could have 2 systems in the same house, we would just have a ridiculous amount of cables run throughout the house. But realistically that seems pretty silly and more work than its worth. I just hope they agree with me, though Im thinking they will probably say "oh well, too bad".

While I have nothing to add to your question and I know having two providers is less than ideal for you, I just want to chime in on the wiring. It's not that bad really.

I have both Time Warner and DirecTV. Have two TVs in the house, each TV has a multiroom DVR from each service connected to it. Time Warner enters the basement front the front of the house where a three way splitter distributes coax to the living room DVR, bedroom DVR and cable modem/MTA. DirecTV enters the basement from the back of the house. I've got five runs of incoming coax (have both the Slimline 5 and WorldDirect dishes) where they meet up with the SWM 8. The SWM 8 then feeds a splitter which distributes three lines of coax to the living room HR-24, bedroom HR-34 and the DECA. All the lines are ran across beams in the basement and up through the floor.
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0 – American Public 1
“the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”
Repeal Obamacare Now!

Bamafan2277
Premium
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to blkhwks19
When you call be polite and let them know your situation. Explain that you are going to be renting a room for a while and there is already service with another company.

If they don't agree at first let them know that you have been a customer for several years and will be a customer again once you get your own place. If that does not work ask for a Supervisor and give them the same story. Being a customer in your 2nd contract with them they may be more willing to budge. Especially since you are already 1 year into the new contract. I work in customer service and being polite will get you much much further. They have the ability to waive it you just have to make them want to do it for you.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to blkhwks19
Sorry to hear of your problems, hope it all works out soon.

If getting out of the contract does not pan out, is it possible to down grade the service to the most basic plan, return all the fancy equipment and just use a basic/free receiver? No HD, no DVR, just a plain brown wrapper box.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

salterbomb

join:2003-10-18
Houston, TX
reply to blkhwks19
I have experience with this. My wife and I moved in with her parents after our son was born so that we could prepare to buy a house closer to everyone in the family (we lived 45 minutes north of everyone).

At the time we were 1 year into our DirecTV contract. After speaking with them on the phone, the only thing I could do was to get my bill reduced to as low as possible and pay it out the remaining months until the contract was over, pay the enormous ETF and get out, or put my contract on hold until we could set up the service again.

I chose to get out of the contract by paying the lowest monthly fee we could get (family package, 100% discount on receiver rentals, etc) and it came out to be $50/month which I paid for the next year. Yes, we never used their service and paying $50 a month for nothing did suck big time but it was the lone option of getting out of the contract without breaking the bank.

When we did get our own place, we got uVerse installed and sent all the DirecTV stuff back.

So, I doubt they will allow a waive of the ETF.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
they might.. several years ago i was getting divorced and stuck with alot of bills.. I explained my situation to the cancellation CSR who waived everything for me to cancel

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
reply to salterbomb
How much was the ETF?

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to unknvoip
said by unknvoip:

It is their house and if you are 'renting' from them perhaps as 'landlord' they might prohibit 'tenets' from installing a dish.

Just a thought, I have no experience in this regard.

Yeah, except - landlords can't. And if you bring up line-of-sight issues, they may want to send a supervisor out to confirm.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to blkhwks19
quote:
When you call be polite and let them know your situation. Explain that you are going to be renting a room for a while and there is already service with another company.
Also couldn't hurt to tell them when you are back on your feet and on your own again your inclination would be to come back to them again, if treated well now.
--