uniqs
share rss forum feed

rwong48

join:2002-11-10
San Jose, CA
reply to Malik999

Re: [Business] JUst had comcast installed - advice please

said by SMCD3G_CCR :

Some people with dynamic IP accounts have been able to put a secondary router into the SMC gateway's pseudo DMZ, but that does not always work for everyone and/or every application.

This is what I do. I don't like double NAT, but putting MY router's IP into the SMC's DMZ makes things work for the most part (I just wanted portforwards and uPnP to work.)

I bought a SB6121, but multiple phone reps (and one guy on-site) couldn't get it to work. I'd love to try it again, but I'll be switching back to Residential when my contract is up in 2 months.

said by gwhall007:

However, I wouldn't recommend buying the 6121 anymore, since it is only a 4X3 modem and is now relatively old. Instead, opt for the newer model - the SB6141. This one is an 8X4 modem and is a current model. It has the same interface as the 6121, as well. Prices for each should be fairly close, I believe.

But is it supported by Business Class?
said by SMCD3G_CCR :

(only the SB6120 and SB6121 are officially supported for Comcast Business Class accounts)

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX
For business class you need either the 6120 or 6121.

As for the activation issues this is normally caused by not allowing enough time for the firmware update to complete. You should always just plug in the modem and connect it to your coax and leave it there for at least an hour. You can call in and give the rep your MAC, but don't expect it to work until the firmware update is complete. A lot of techs and phone reps don't have time to wait for it to complete so they say the modem is bad.

rwong48

San Jose, CA
said by biomesh:

As for the activation issues this is normally caused by not allowing enough time for the firmware update to complete. You should always just plug in the modem and connect it to your coax and leave it there for at least an hour. You can call in and give the rep your MAC, but don't expect it to work until the firmware update is complete. A lot of techs and phone reps don't have time to wait for it to complete so they say the modem is bad.

Cool - I'll try this. I assume I can do this while my SMCD3G is plugged in?

The problem I had before was that the modem appeared to be in a loop of updating firmware and rebooting itself.. or something. It was ~2 years ago so I don't remember.

Malik999

join:2005-11-08
Jonesville, SC

1 edit
reply to rwong48
>But is it supported by Business Class?

I certainly hope so now ive ordered it per the advice above. Can anyone confirm the SB6141 will work?

rwong48

San Jose, CA
said by Malik999:

I certainly hope so now ive ordered it per the advice above. Can anyone confirm the SB6141 will work?

As said above..
said by SMCD3G_CCR :

only the SB6120 and SB6121 are officially supported for Comcast Business Class accounts

said by biomesh:

I'm really unsure why others suggested the SB6141 so hastily.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by rwong48:

said by Malik999:

As said above..
said by SMCD3G_CCR :

only the SB6120 and SB6121 are officially supported for Comcast Business Class accounts

said by biomesh:

I'm really unsure why others suggested the SB6141 so hastily.

Well, it looks like the SB6141 may be OK to use for dynamic IP address accounts in many areas now: »[Business] BYOD for Business Class!!!

biomesh
Premium
Tomball, TX
Not according to »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by biomesh:

If the "BYOD" policy is fairly new, then that list may not have been updated yet for Business Class service.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by telcodad:

said by biomesh:

If the "BYOD" policy is fairly new, then that list may not have been updated yet for Business Class service.

it's not fairly new....few users here have reported using their own modems in the past...

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by medbuyer:

said by telcodad:

said by biomesh:

it's not fairly new....few users here have reported using their own modems in the past...

I'm not sure why Comcast had restricted the approved model models to just the SB6120 and SB6121 for Dynamic IP addressed Business Class, unless it had something to do with performance and/or reliability.

medbuyer

said by telcodad:

I'm not sure why Comcast had restricted the approved model models to just the SB6120 and SB6121 for Dynamic IP Business Class, unless it had something to do with performance and/or reliability.

Do you have Comcast Biz?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by medbuyer:

said by telcodad:

I'm not sure why Comcast had restricted the approved model models to just the SB6120 and SB6121 for Dynamic IP addressed Business Class, unless it had something to do with performance and/or reliability.

Do you have Comcast Biz?

No, residential HSI.

biomesh
Premium
Tomball, TX
reply to telcodad
I think BYOD was allowed in Jan 2011, so it is not new. I was one of the first people here to confirm that Comcast allowed BYOD.

The reasoning is probably due to limit the amount of supported devices by business class support staff.

medbuyer

reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by medbuyer:

said by telcodad:

I'm not sure why Comcast had restricted the approved model models to just the SB6120 and SB6121 for Dynamic IP Business Class, unless it had something to do with performance and/or reliability.

Do you have Comcast Biz?

No, residential HSI.

when you sign up for Comcast Biz, they will "force" you to use their own modem regardless if you use dynamic or static ip....

users have reported that after verifying that everything works, you can install your own modem but only for those who don't need static ip's.

Comcast won't let you use your own modem if you have a static ip.

I've used their own modem for 2 years now and been happy with it...I just see the extra equip fee as insurance that if the modem fails, they will replace it and me not to worry about anything...

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Agreed. The 6141 should theoretically provide better performance than the 6120/6121 due to eight downstream channel capability it offers rather than only four channel capability. Why wouldn't they want better performance / increased bandwidth capacity / reduced congestion. Seems it would be a win win for both them and their customers..

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by EG:

said by telcodad:

Agreed. The 6141 should theoretically provide better performance than the 6120/6121 due to eight downstream channel capability it offers rather than only four channel capability. Why wouldn't they want better performance / increased bandwidth capacity / reduced congestion. Seems it would be a win win for both them and their customers..

Yes, especially with Business Class now offering downstream speeds of up to 100Mbps, it would be nice to be able to use a modem that can bond more than 4 DS channels.

Looks like they may be starting to consider that now:

Up to date modems for Business Class
»forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/···m-p/5456

rwong48

San Jose, CA
reply to rwong48
said by rwong48:

said by biomesh:

Cool - I'll try this. I assume I can do this while my SMCD3G is plugged in?

The problem I had before was that the modem appeared to be in a loop of updating firmware and rebooting itself.. or something. It was ~2 years ago so I don't remember.

Wow, that actually worked. Receive light stayed on, send light blinked for 8 hours before it finally worked and got an IP. Thanks biomesh See Profile!