Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Teen Jailed For Violent Comment During League of Legends....

»dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas···-months/

said by Daily Caller :

A Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

In February, Justin Carter was playing “League of Legends” — an online, multiplayer fantasy game — when another player wrote a comment calling him insane. Carter’s response, which he now deeply regrets, was intended as joke.

“He replied ‘Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,’ and the next two lines were lol and jk,” said Jack Carter, Justin’s father, in a statement to a local news channel.

The statements “lol” and “jk” — meaning “laughing out loud” and “just kidding” — indicate that Justin’s statement was entirely sarcastic, said his father.

But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address, determined that it was near an elementary school, and called the police. Carter was arrested one month later, and has been in jail ever since. He recently celebrated his 19th birthday behind bars.

Authorities charged him with making a terrorist threat. If convicted, he will face eight years in prison.

“These people are serious. They really want my son to go away to jail for a sarcastic comment that he made,” said the elder Carter.

Authorities noted that recent school shootings like the one in Newtown, Connecticut have caused them to evaluate all potential threats seriously. Newtown was still fresh in their minds at the time of Carter’s arrest.

Read more: »dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas···XYQaxIHS

Some of the shit I've heard over Vent in the past, and read online in some games, make this seem trivial.

We've really gone off the deep end. You can't even joke around anymore without some dumbass getting all bent out of shape.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
This is why I don't play lol, not only does it have one of the worst communities in pc gaming, but no one can take a joke. Sadly the entire world is becoming like that. I'd like to know how she got his address though.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX

3 recommendations

reply to Ghastlyone
That's why you don't say that kind of shit online.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to me1212
said by me1212:

I'd like to know how she got his address though.

Probably kept shooting off his mouth, looked him up on Facebook, and found the profile left wide open to the public lol!

Still, it is bullshit being jailed for screwing around online and makes law enforcement look stupid in the end.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
It's scary is what it is. You no longer have to actually commit a criminal act to be jailed, just saying it is enough. Yikes.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to Ghastlyone
Texas. Jail is big business, they LOVE jailing people there, it's their number one industry. Fart and you go to jail in TX.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
reply to Ghastlyone
Who says dumb shit like that? It's all about context. Extremely dumb thing to say in a game with kids. It's no different than making bomb jokes in an airport.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1
Dumb? Maybe.

It still sets one hell of a scary precedent. I'm guilty of stating "I'm gonna kill 'em" in regards to many different people hundreds of times. Have I ever killed them? No. Have I ever been serious about actually wanting to kill them? Only on one or two occasions. Should I be charged for it? Hell, I've watched movies and TV Shows where people are killed, and read books where people are killed. I've read murder mysteries... That's me researching how to try and get away with it!

Having played online for years, what was said is actually fairly tame compared to what some people go off about.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to shinjuru
said by shinjuru:

Who says dumb shit like that? It's all about context. Extremely dumb thing to say in a game with kids. It's no different than making bomb jokes in an airport.

I certainly said ALL sorts of things as a kid and the last few years. Having never acted on them - I probably could be put away for years and years.

This is why people have problems with the govt wiretapping without a warrant. You can't joke anymore and at any time you joke - you could have the Fed Govt knocking at the door - truly scary imho.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

1 recommendation

Good lord, tin foil hat time. This has nothing to do with illegal wiretapping.

Again, it's all about context. Before idiots went nuts and started mass shootings in schools, many of the crazy things kids say probably wouldn't have been noticed much. However, because these mass shootings have occurred, on multiple occasions, comments like these can no longer be ignored, especially in a game with kids.
--
Games - GameTech - S.F.Bay -

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
No tin foil needed - just mentioning the road we ARE going down quickly. Lots of horrific things happened when I was a kid yet you could still kid about them because people had COMMON SENSE.

"Again, it's all about context." - actually common sense is what it is about.

Now lots of people want 100% chance of nothing bad happening which leads to 'zero tolerance' with no common sense being used - kids being kicked out of class for plastic utensils. People can't take NAIL CLIPPERS with FILES on airplanes (the latter being a total and absolute joke of a rule).
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to shinjuru
And despite what the talking heads on the TV say, despite the tragedies like Sandy Hook, actual crime and homicide rates have been, and still are in a decline since the 80's.

Of course 30 years ago each tragedy wasn't *the* thing to talk about for weeks on end with endless speculating, scapegoating and blame-gaming about anything and everything related to the event and the suspects believed to have caused it. Of course as soon as something new happens they completely forget about what they've been talking about for the past month and hop onto the next band wagon. Gotta get those ratings, so fuck actual journalism!

You're much safer today than in the past couple decades, arresting and jailing people under the guise of terrorism because of something [admittedly crude/inappropriate] said in jest is just a sign of how effective the government and the media have been in spreading FUD. Zero tolerance = zero thought. It's just extremely unfortunate zero tolerance is slowly being applied to everything in America.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
I guess we shouldn't hold anyone responsible for the things they say, as long as they follow up their comments with an "LOL", "J/K". Let's tolerate absolutely everything that comes out of the mouths of freedom loving people. Who cares if they're describing violence against children in schools, which many schools are incorporating lock down drills and even installing bullet-proof barrier doors to address a very realist concern in many communities.

Yes, it really is all about context. If it wasn't, this guy wouldn't be in jail. Enough people, whether you agreed with them or not, thought it was acceptable to lock him up for his comments. Maybe sometime in the future people will see this arrest as a mistake.

I wonder who will come to this guy's rescue?
--

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Ghastlyone
This is'nt the same or even close to being the same thing as if you went somewhere and told this to that person "face to face" but in a digital world, it could mean the rest of your life in prison if you make the wrong move.. But are you really the one that did it is the question. Some accounts i am more than postive that get hacked (witch happens everyday to someone) and then that hacker goes around and telling everyone that hes you.

Is opening up your mouth and saying a bunch of things different from posting it on a social website or such? Yes in fact it is.. ahaha i could spend all day laughing at you if you suspect that the two were the same thing. But police take it seriously.. That laddy that went a tattle-tailed on that kid thinks so too. What kind of messed up world is this, really?.. Get with the program and get back to reality people and stop dreaming in the dream world. Maybe getting rid of social websites and all that garbage might help us all think clearer and get back to reality.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password

Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

2 recommendations

Time and time again, the Supreme Court has affirmed that the First Amendment covers free speech only so far. Threats of violence, or the advocation of calls to violence are not protected.

For instance, you can say "I hate Group X," or "God hates Group X," or "thank God members of Group X are dying" and all be covered (look at Westboro Baptist Church for an excellent example of how far a group of lawyers can push the First Amendment without incurring criminal charges).

But once you say "We should kill members of Group X" or "you should go and kill Group X members wherever you find them," or even possibly "killing members of Group X is the right thing to do" (this one is iffy), you may no longer be covered by your Constitutional right to Free Speech.

What this bonehead did ("I am going to go kill people") is way beyond what the First Amendment covers. Was the police response a little heavy-handed? Sure it was, but that is within the local Prosecutor's discretion--we and the perpetrator can't control--and are not responsible for--what the local DA would do, we are only responsible for our own actions.

One last comment:

Is opening up your mouth and saying a bunch of things different from posting it on a social website or such? Yes in fact it is.. ahaha i could spend all day laughing at you if you suspect that the two were the same thing. But police take it seriously.. That laddy that went a tattle-tailed on that kid thinks so too. What kind of messed up world is this, really?.. Get with the program and get back to reality people and stop dreaming in the dream world. Maybe getting rid of social websites and all that garbage might help us all think clearer and get back to reality.

There is literally no difference between standing up in the real world, and doing the same in the digital one, and say you are going to murder a school-full of kids. People think that they can--that they even have the right--to say what they want on the internet and experience zero repercussions.

That is changing. Kids that bully other kids into committing suicide are now facing charges. This kid is looking at jail-time for threatening to shoot up a school.

Why? Because ideas have consequences, and psychos will boast about their exploits to an ignorant audience. I've lost track of the stories I read where a kid says on the Internet he is going to kill himself, and then goes through with it.

Treat your online interactions the same way you would treat your real-life ones--the solution is not getting of social network sites (talk about an invasion of liberty!) but simply policing yourself and your own behavior a little bit better.

What was it our parents told us growing up? True integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to Ghastlyone
Bullshit charges helps to force behaviour change.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to Ghastlyone
I don't have a problem with there being repercussions for his actions, but what bRod says is exactly right...he didn't DO anything to anyone. He made a horrid comment and got caught, but who here hasn't said something in jest similar (maybe not quite so vivid) to what this kid did?

Second, he's a kid...kids do dumb shit. Again, I don't have a problem with him facing some type of penalty (I'd say he's already served enough, imo), but don't ruin this kids life over that. It would be different if they found bomb making material or a cache of weapons, but that doesn't seem to be the case....he just made a dumb mistake.

Scare the shit out of him and send him home, time served.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Ghastlyone
Give the asshole kid a fine and some community service to work off.

But for fuck sake, possibly years of prison time? That's a little over board.

Kaltes
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Ghastlyone
1. The comment wasn't made during a LoL game, it was made on facebook afterwards.

2. It was not a "violent comment" it was obvious sarcasm and hyperbole, the same kind of irreverent comment made by comedians all the time for "shock" value.

said by shinjuru:

comments like these can no longer be ignored, especially in a game with kids.

We have freedom of speech in this country. There are very narrow exceptions, and this kid's comment doesn't remotely fit into any of them.

said by shinjuru:

I guess we shouldn't hold anyone responsible for the things they say, as long as they follow up their comments with an "LOL", "J/K".

Yup, that's exactly right. I can't think of a situation off the top of my head where "lol" or "j/k" wouldn't scrub anything of illegality, since you're immediately disavowing what you had just said.

said by shinjuru:

Who cares if they're describing violence against children in schools

Yes, who cares if they are DESCRIBING it? Since when is describing a crime? This kid wasn't making a credible, imminent threat.

said by shinjuru:

Yes, it really is all about context. If it wasn't, this guy wouldn't be in jail. Enough people, whether you agreed with them or not, thought it was acceptable to lock him up for his comments.

If by "enough people" you mean 1 cop, because that's all it takes to arrest someone. It isn't like the prosecutor went to a grand jury to get an indictment.

said by shinjuru:

I wonder who will come to this guy's rescue?

Everyone who doesn't want to live in a dystopian police state where you can go to jail for thoughtcrime. Apparently you're ok with that on a case-by-case basis.

said by Krisnatharok:

Threats of violence, or the advocation of calls to violence are not protected.

No, the exceptions are narrower than that:

1. "advocacy of the use of force" is unprotected when it is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action" and is "likely to incite or produce such action"

2. "threats may not be punished if a reasonable person would understand them as obvious hyperbole"
[hint: saying youre going to eat still-beating hearts is obvious hyperbole]

The exceptions are actually very narrow. For threats to be criminal, they generally have to be credible and imminent. Vague or unrealistic threats are protected.

said by Krisnatharok:

What this bonehead did ("I am going to go kill people") is way beyond what the First Amendment covers.

Wrong, both about what he said and whether it's covered.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
reply to Ghastlyone
Where is his intent?

wtb police officers who investigate the crimes vs dogs off the leash.

Kaltes
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Ghastlyone
Let's not talk about the 1st amendment, though. The 1st amendment only applies if Texas has a law that ACTUALLY criminalizes this speech, and then the 1st Amendment comes in to say "no, that law is unconstitutional". Here, though, the law he is charged with, terroristic threats, is perfectly constitutional, but he didn't violate it.

He is charged with violating Texas Penal Code 22.07(a)(4-6):

said by Texas Law :

§ 22.07. TERRORISTIC THREAT. (a) A person commits an offense if he threatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property with intent to:

(4) cause impairment or interruption of public communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power supply or other public service;

(5) place the public or a substantial group of the public in fear of serious bodily injury; or

(6) influence the conduct or activities of a branch or agency of the federal government, the state, or a political subdivision of the state.

His kid made a sarcastic comment on facebook directed at another kid he was playing LoL with. This comment was, on its face, not directed at the government, let alone an attempt to influence the government [i.e. release this terrorist from prison or I blow up X], so that dispenses with (6). Next, there is no way to claim his comment was intended to disrupt utilities/infrastructure, so that dispenses with (4).

Even though it is plainly obvious to me that (5) doesn't apply, those of you acting as apologists for the DA in this case, if you want to argue this at all, will try to argue (5). Here is where you have no leg to stand on, though: in order for his comment to be a crime, he must have INTENDED to make a substantial group of people fear serious bodily injury. He can't have done that because:

(a) His comment was not DIRECTED at or communicated to the general public, instead it was a comment made to another kid of facebook in a conversation about a video game.

(b) He did not specifically identify any target school, so his comment wasn't specific enough to make any particular group afraid.

(c) His comment was both sarcastic and hyperbolic, and on top of that, he immediately openly disclaimed its seriousness by putting "LOL" and "J/K", so the comment was clearly not made with the INTENT to scare anyone.

The terroristic threats law is meant to apply to ACTUAL TERRORISTS, not kids making distasteful facebook comments. It is written to criminalize things like bomb threats.

What really happened here, was that some cop/prosecutor saw that this had been reported shortly after Sandy Hook, and the decision was made to make an example of this kid by arresting him and throwing him in jail, even if it was completely baseless. The case would generate headlines, and the assholes responsible for it would dutifully say "I will stop at nothing to protect our kids! Btw vote for me!" In other words, this kid and his family had their lives turned upside down just so they could be used as political pawns by loathsome politicians. And yes, when police chiefs and DAs are elected, they are politicians like any other.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
But but but if it save the life of just one child!

Kaltes
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by Krisnatharok:

lol it is one thing to poop on the massive hype juggernaut of a video game, but this kid has been rotting in jail for over 3 months already on charges that are clearly frivolous.

he could have made an ACTUAL terrorist threat of imminent serious bodily injury against a specific individual (which is only a misdemeanor), pled guilty, and already been out of jail by now. Think about that for a second.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Ghastlyone
I guess people typing "IM GONNA RAPE UR FACE!" in video games better watch out, since they might get charged as a sexual predator and face jail time.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Kaltes
said by Kaltes:

said by Krisnatharok:

lol it is one thing to poop on the massive hype juggernaut of a video game, but this kid has been rotting in jail for over 3 months already on charges that are clearly frivolous.

he could have made an ACTUAL terrorist threat of imminent serious bodily injury against a specific individual (which is only a misdemeanor), pled guilty, and already been out of jail by now. Think about that for a second.

Welcome to risk management in today's world, where even impossible threats are treated as credible. I've ranted about it before, no need to rehash it here.

That said, the kid learned the hard way you don't joke about such things. The Secret Service has been called out to investigate even dumber threats. Fortunately the feds had enough sense to charge him. Imagine if these local yocals were calling the shots on that one. He'd be rotting in jail, too.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

It's scary is what it is. You no longer have to actually commit a criminal act to be jailed, just saying it is enough. Yikes.

Welcome to Politically Correct USA. Enjoy your stay, as long as no one gets their widdle feelings hurt.

Kaltes
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Welcome to risk management in today's world, where even impossible threats are treated as credible. I've ranted about it before, no need to rehash it here.

That said, the kid learned the hard way you don't joke about such things. The Secret Service has been called out to investigate even dumber threats. Fortunately the feds had enough sense to charge him. Imagine if these local yocals were calling the shots on that one. He'd be rotting in jail, too.

Actually it is well known that the secret service investigate EVERY threat made against the president, no matter how silly. Someone on this message board even got a visit some years back thanks to some anti-Bush threats he made. There is a world of difference between police simply paying someone a visit to ask questions, and actually getting search and arrest warrants.

If it is ok to throw this kid in jail, why not comedians? Why not Alec Baldwin? Alec Baldwin just went off on some reporter on twitter and made a serious of clearly violent threats, lacking in any "jk" afterwards. He also called on his followers to go after the guy, too. I'd say what Alec Baldwin did was far worse since he made specific violent threats and incited others as well, yet no one for a second thought he would have to worry about criminal charges.

The only thing this kid, and the rest of us, learned "the hard way" is that the United States is, at least in part, an out-of-control police state, where the system is so corrupt and lacking in checks against police and prosecutors, that even a case like this where the criminal charges are clearly frivolous, can be filed and prosecuted. That is really the ultimate problem here: there is not enough check against police, and especially prosecutor, power. This kid's family should be able to sue the police for this.

Kaltes
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Ghastlyone

get out the paddy wagon!

»twitchy.com/2013/06/27/ima-kill-···g-trial/

So, dozens of people making real, specific death threats in public, and nothing whatsoever will happen to them.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
reply to Ghastlyone

Re: Teen Jailed For Violent Comment During League of Legends....

Jeez I wonder the jails would be overflowing if this were to occur on Xbox Live, the shit I hear out of people's mouth.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to Kaltes
So, are you going to be there supporting this guy in his fight against the dystopian police state? If not, then I guess you give about as much shit regarding this guy's Constitutional Rights, as I do.

said by Kaltes:

Everyone who doesn't want to live in a dystopian police state where you can go to jail for thoughtcrime. Apparently you're ok with that on a case-by-case basis.

--