Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

[WIN8] Win 8 hosed my drive (again!)

Some time ago, I posted on here that my system has 2 hard drives in it, a 1.5TB drive I added for Win8 alone, and a 500GB that was split into 3 partitions, an XP MCE partition, a Vista partition, and a data storage partition.

Win8 in its wisdom ran a check disk on the XP partition, and hosed it. Yes, I could boot into XP, but nothing could work, outside of XP you couldn't even access the drive.

Fast forward to last night. 8.1 release, I wanted in on it, so I hooked up my Win8 drive and booted. No problems, rebooted for an update, and bam! Checkdisk starts running on my other partitions it hadn't killed last time. I know I should've unhooked the drive from the start, but since the first boot didn't even mention the other drive, I totally missed it. Well, it never even gave me an option to NOT scan the drive, and we all know once started, cannot be stopped unless you want to trash the drive.

So Win8 loads, and now ALL my partitions on the 2nd drive are unable to be accessed. Booted into Win7 and get the same thing as my XP partition did "Drive is not accessible" So there goes my Vista partition, AND my data partition, which has my music and such.

Needless to say, I'm NOT happy, and got to figure out some way of recovering the drive's partitions to a readable state. Any ideas?

Right now I'm currently running a checkdisk on the drive within Win7, and will see what comes of it. Fingers crossed. I believe I was able to access the drive layout and files with my ERD boot disk, which would at least allow me recovery of the files, but that will take a LOOOONG time to do.

So again, let this be a warning to you all, DO NOT LET WINDOWS 8 RUN A DISK CHECK ON ANY EARLIER FILESYSTEM!

and...... anyone have any ideas?

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
What I've tried: (to no avail)

I've tried taking ownership of the vista drive, there's nothing really on it I care if lost, so it's fair game to play with) It goes through the process of taking ownership, you see all the files being gone through and the permissions being changed, but it has no affect on the drive itself, see the included pic to see what I'm talking about as far as how it looks and all. Along with ownership, I've changed the access rights to administrators having full control, and that doesn't change anything either.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to captokita
Thanks for posting that, please bring it up to Microsoft directly since they apparenlty can't make their new versions of ntfs work together, or make the operating systems using the newer one not hose the drives/os using the old ntfs.

I'm so tired of ntfs, but exfat sucks worse, along with you can't use any nix file systems in Windows.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Banzi

@virginmedia.com
reply to captokita
Disable the fast boot\fast start up option in Windows 8 power options.

I had a similar issue, Win 7 is main OS on SSD, Win 8 is on a 1TB drive, after installing Windows 8 & then booting into Win 7 chkdsk always wants to run on all drives.

Win 8 seems to set a dirty bit on the drives if fast start up is enabled, when booting into Win 7 it detects this & thinks the drives have errors.

»www.eightforums.com/tutorials/63···8-a.html

I really hate the new boot menu in Win 8, it seems to try & take over the PC & loads about 95% of Win 8 then shows the boot menu, this means if you chose to boot win 7 it then has to reboot the the PC to load Win 7.

To change that boot into Win 7 & run MSCONFIG, click the boot tab & then click the Win 7 entry & then click set as default & apply & reboot & then you go back to the black screen with white text boot menu.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to captokita
I'll check that fast boot option, but the damage is already done, so I need to figure out how to "undo" it. Currently, I have to swap out my SSD for my 1.5TB disc to go from 7 to 8, I don't want 8 screwing up my SSD either, it only takes a minute to swap out anyway.

Fortunately, I was able to boot from my ERD disc and move the data from the hosed drive to the 1.5TB drive, so at least my data is taken care of. I'll send a note to MS too about this issue, as I can't imagine I'm the only person this has happened to.

Any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to captokita
I had a similar situation in the past.
I cured it by installing a hard drive selector switch for my boot drives.
»www.cooldrives.com/4posaiisw3ba.html

Pick the OS you want prior to start up and the others remain powered off.
No chance of cross contamination.

s_becker

join:2013-04-05
reply to captokita
As BlitzenZeus See Profile already said... best go directly to Microsoft. This seems to be a real problem.

I haven't booted different OSs on my PC for quite some time. I use virtualization if I want to access different OSs but this doesn't make up for the fact that problems like this must not occur!

I'm interested in reading more about this topic.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to captokita
Try one of the NTFS undelete utilities -- with that, you should be able to recover your files.
And if I were you I'd stop dual booting Win8.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to gwalk
said by gwalk:

Pick the OS you want prior to start up and the others remain powered off.
No chance of cross contamination.

The problem with that is I WANT this 2nd drive visible to my other OSes, since it's my media drive. The fact win8 trashed the data partition is what ticks me off more than the others, as I hardly ever booted into XP once I loaded 7 on my SSD, I also never used the vista install either, it was only there for testing purposes from way back when. Even if it only had the one data partition on it, Win8 would've hosed it. THAT'S a problem.

The LEAST it could do was make the drive available to Win8, but it can't even do THAT correctly. lol

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
OK, I see what you mean.
I do have other drives hooked up as data drives that are seen by what ever the current OS drive is. Only exception to that is one formated as FAT32 storage as one of the OS boot drive is Win98. The Win98 OS not being able to access any of the NTFS storage drives.
All together I have 10 internal drives...man is that thing heavy(lol)

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to aurgathor
I'm not sure you get it, the operating system is assuming the file system needs to be repaired when it doesn't as it was a different version of ntfs, and even if you just have a data partition to share between operating systems it's possible that it could be trashed. I brought this problem up before, but apparently they still didn't fix it. Microsoft products are trashing their older products now because Microsoft can't do nearly anything right. Just like when they figured out xp trashes vista restore points, they didn't bother fixing xp at all as they are lazy.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to captokita
Make the drive available as a network share, that should hopefully stop Win8 messing with it.