spc
Search similar:

uniqs
momo1478
join:2012-05-31
91342-5421

momo1478

Strange Issue. Router Caused?

So I have just moved to a new house and I must say I'm getting very good signal levels from Time Warner (not entirely sure if this should go into that forum) 38 Signal to Noise is pretty darn good for me. Anyways just 2 or 3 days after my move something very strange happened. My router wouldn't detect some cables, and when it did the connection is quite unstable. I can surf the web fine (with some delays here and there) but streaming is practically crippled. Online games suffer catastrophically. I have a WNDR4500 router from Netgear and tweaked UPnP to have an Ad period of 8 minutes and a TTL of 40 hops(Although even with router defaults 30 mins and 4 ttl hops the error still persists). I have reset my router to default many times and have restarted my modem (a motorolla DOCSIS 3 modem). Speed test shows my down speed to be .3 Mbps and Up to be 1.3 Mbps. I usually get 15/2 which is what I pay for. Is it a cable problem? A Modem one? I have suspected it was my Router but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan

redxii

Mod

Have you tried directly connecting a computer to the modem with an Ethernet cable to rule out the router? This is what basically what Tier 1 support will ask you to do.
momo1478
91342-5421

momo1478

Yes but for some strange reason I'm not getting internet connection as much as I am signal.
momo1478

momo1478

Sorry for the double post but I think I found the problem. So the router's internet port has some trouble detecting certain cables. So I'm guessing it's sensitivity is making it fluctuate pretty badly. Is there a fix for this or do I have to buy a new router?

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

Well agin you are being rather vague when specifics are what its needed is this an Ethernet hard wired connection problem or WiFi and what equipment and how how configured?

You haven't bridged your modem, double NAT'ing can cause many problems

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline to momo1478

Premium Member

to momo1478
said by momo1478:

Sorry for the double post but I think I found the problem. So the router's internet port has some trouble detecting certain cables. So I'm guessing it's sensitivity is making it fluctuate pretty badly. Is there a fix for this or do I have to buy a new router?

Often times there is a breach in the cable to the cable supplied modem. This has been my issue a few times. Just have a service call done, they have equipment that can find the breach.

I sincerely doubt it is the router. They are pretty hardy and can take a lot.
momo1478
91342-5421

momo1478

Well actually I figured out the problem. It was my WAN port that was damaged. I'm trying to figure out how to make a LAN port act like a WAN port. DD-WRT does that but sadly it doesn't support my model of WNDR4500. Is there any other 3rd party router firmwares out there? Sorry about being vague. The reason I know it's a port problem was because if I moved the cable connected to the WAN port on the router ever so slightly the Modem would lose connection. Vice versa If I moved the end that's connected to the modem it was all good. Plus the "signal light" (I'm not sure what to call it, the one that keeps flashing on my Motorola modem) pauses lit for a second or remains off for the same amount of time.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion

More likely the cable than the port. Try a different cable. Easy things first.