share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[TWC] UGH - upstream power level!

Click for full size
My upstream power level is currently 54dBmV on both bonded channels.

I wonder if this explains the weird stuff I am seeing now. Trouble shooting the network connection on Windows 8 says I don't have an internet connection...but I do. Ping Plotter Pro shows ERROR on every hop to any place using ICMP engine but is fine using TCP engine (explains why I am on the internet ok but doesn't explain why network troubleshooting claims no internet) and my new RIPE Atlas probe shows 100% loss on ping to "ns.ripe.net" but is pinging many other addresses ok. Tracert, ping via CMD show Request Timed Out to every hop but the first one (the Netgear router) and the fifth and sixth ones. There are 12 hops to hawaii.rr.com. Netgear router is set to allow ICMP echo request as is Windows Firewall.

C:\Users\Melelina>tracert 24.165.45.220

Tracing route to cpe-24-165-45-220.hawaii.rr.com [24.165.45.220]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *       15 ms  tge0-4-0-3.klaohias-ccr01.hawaii.rr.com [72.129.
46.170]
  6    20 ms    18 ms    17 ms  agg1.kihehi04-ccr02.hawaii.rr.com [72.129.45.49]

7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete. 

I have about 80 tabs on two Windows open in Fx and about 20 tabs open on Opera and they all are fine. But I suspect if I were to close either browser and then restart choosing the last session to reload that all tabs on both browsers would load with DNS errors and I would need to click on each tab and load it using "refresh" and then everything would be fine browsing wise until the next time I shut a browser down and restart it (happens now on every browser including IE 10) and happens on my XP computer. I had these same problems with the Linksy router and even on a direct connection of the modem to either of the two computers. But the problems were less often on a direct connection.

I've had these problems since before I got the Win 8 computer last November but it has gotten gradually worse and worse as the upstream power level has slowly risen from an average of 48dBmV to 54dBmV. I just got Windows Defender download directly from Microsoft Security Center (76MB) at 20,848kbps at 8PM (but it is Friday night) so my speed is not suffering. So, is all this weird stuff going on connected to the upstream power level?

--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06

Call TWC and explain your upstream level has climbed from 48 to 54 and your service has degraded, you'll need a service tech.

Looks like you have only internet from TWC, no TV? Your levels being +3 receive while 54 transmit are terrible.

TelecomEng

@rr.com
reply to Mele20

Do you have any splitters between your modem and where the cable comes into the house?

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to Mele20

54-55 will cause ur modem to drop upstream channels (you may see it as T4 errors) and it may force it to reboot itself often, depends on time of day. Usually during hotter temperature u will end up having 1-2dbmv higher upstream than colder.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 edit
reply to Mele20

You're going to need a tech to check levels at the tap and/or amp on the roof of your condo building. Hopefully nobody messed with or damaged the looped wiring or directional couplers in any of the units above yours...

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Yep, that is what I thought. But you can no longer reach local tier 1 unless you say you are calling about TV rather than internet. I got directed automatically by that robot voice to NHD which told me that 54dBmV on upstream day and night was completely within TWC specs and that since the modem had not dropped off line in the past couple of days there was no reason for me to be calling. I unplugged the modem during that two day period (because of no connectivity) so I don't know why she said it had not been off line at all. She said it would not be fixed until it rose above 58dBmV.
So, I told her I would just report it to the local office when I pay my bill.

Given the wait of THREE WEEKS to get a tech out here, I was trying to get it fixed before it got any higher and I had constant disconnects. I didn't bother telling her that Oceanic fixed Konaguy See Profile 50/51 dBmV upstream recently so obviously Oceanic doesn't think 54dBmV is good if they fix 50/51.

I'm wondering when I will see the third upstream bonded channel? Kona side got it back about six weeks ago.

At any rate, the upstream level has gotten slightly better with yesterday and today (daytime and nighttime) being at 50dBmV.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 edit

50 is fine. Above 53 is not, especially with the higher bandwidth QAM16 and QAM64 modulation on 6.4 Mhz wide upstream channels.

58 was the transmit limit with QPSK, 3.2 Mhz wide upstream channels. Many modems can't even transmit above that. With that move to higher speeds and newer modems, QPSK, 3.2 Mhz channels are being dropped for the higher modulation, higher bandwidth channels, which have the lower limits.

[edit] Single channel upstream configurations on DOCSIS 3 actually have higher power limits than DOCSIS 1 and 2 BUT once bonding comes into play, those channel power limits drop. In some situations (4 bonded, QAM64, 6.4 Mhz channels) max transmit level drops to 51. Situations with 2 bonded channels are equivalent to older DOCSIS 1 and 2 limits, which is what I listed originally.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, have a back up... 99.999% availability just isn't enough sometimes.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

»www.cablelabs.com/specifications···0121.pdf

See page 68 for the gory DOCSIS 3 details with matrices of modulation types, modes, number of channels, and maximum power levels.

At least with my DOCSIS 1 modem, when I exceeded 58 dBmv, I lost sync. So if they're waiting for you to go "above" 58, they're waiting too long.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

said by djrobx:

At least with my DOCSIS 1 modem, when I exceeded 58 dBmv, I lost sync. So if they're waiting for you to go "above" 58, they're waiting too long.

And If the modem is "sync" good luck getting TW to roll a tech..

My cable provider just got taken over by TW and TW is refusing to schedule a TC as long as the modem is synced though my upstream is dropping out and I keep getting ping spikes and time outs on a constant ping to Google.

My downstream is around -10 dBmV and upstream (3 bonded ranges from 36.5 dBmV to 39.0 dBmV) and they say "everything is fine"

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by Matt7:

My downstream is around -10 dBmV and upstream (3 bonded ranges from 36.5 dBmV to 39.0 dBmV) and they say "everything is fine"

Those levels are fine both are at least 5dB away from DOCSIS limits... but obviously something else isn't fine.

Instead of pinging Google which is well outside of TWC control, ping something with TWC's network they can control which doesn't commonly have drop outs like Google. That will usually get better reception from tech support.

Sometimes a big part of dealing with tech support is what they find acceptable and not acceptable for troubleshooting. Limiting the scope of the problems they have to figure out will usually get better results.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, have a back up... 99.999% availability just isn't enough sometimes.