spc
Search similar:

uniqs

anon164327
join:2013-06-25

2 edits

anon164327

5 questions (re-doing nid)?

#1 What should I use to seal the rubber grommets to prevent dirt and bugs from getting inside?

#2 Where can I buy a longer green ground cable for my NID?

#3 Can a cat5 keystone jack be mounted inside of the sealed NID?

#4 The recessed telco screw has barely any space around it and my hex bolt set is way to thick around the edges, where can I buy a really thin edged long driver bit?

#5 I plan on mounting the NID about 5ft away from the old location, And I dug about 4 feet into the ground and I can't find any extra telco cable slack, can I just splice a 30ft rugged gel filled weatherproof cat5 cable onto the the telco cable to be used as an extension to the new location of the NID?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Re: 5 questions (moving nid)?

First, why are you wanting to move the NID?

Second, you should really call the Telco and request that they move it.

There are several variables that affect this, the two primary ones being where you live and who your Telco is. Most Telco's don't want you messing with the NID, especially moving it, and some will use Security hardware to prevent you from doing so.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to anon164327

MVM

to anon164327
Welcome to BBR.

The NID is Telco property, just like the electric, gas, and water meter. It is the interface between phone company responsibility and customer. Grounding is a safety issue so you will probably void any phone company responsibility if you tamper with the NID. Did you notice it has two doors, one say customer access and the other phone company personnel only.

If you need it moved call them.

/tom

anon164327

anon164327

My NID is very old and in bad shape & my telco refused to install a newer one so I bought a new one on ebay and I'm going to install it myself.

I guess I can install the new one at the same location.(I don't really feel like moving the grounding rod after all).

Why wouldn't my telco bury some extra cable below the NID?

I wish I had about 2-3 feet more to work with.

TDS has been very unprofessional in the past and I don't even feel like dealing with them anymore but there's no other ISP in my area.

One time they sent everyone a letter in the mail saying YOUR COMPUTER HAS A VIRUS!!! BUY OUR PROTECTION SOFTWARE even though I was using macs.

Another time they sent out a letter saying Congratulations!!! You are eligible for a 25Mbps speed upgrade!!!, I called right away and they told me it was a mistake and 15Mbps was all that I could get.

Another time (out of the blue) they added a modem rental fee to our bill even though we have never rented a modem from them in the past.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

Other than being old is the NID causing any issues?

I had a similar issues. We built a new home about 7 years ago, the Telco installed a NID that they had removed from another home. That NID was several decades old. Plus it was loaded with all kinds of critters and the phone line was noisy. You often could not understand telephone conversations and our DSL would constantly disconnect. It took several letters and telephones to them and others to finally get it replaced. The technician really didn't want to admit that the NID was the problem even though the noise immediately ceased upon replacement.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to anon164327

MVM

to anon164327
So - you are going to break into the telco side? They see that and they will likely not be very happy. The telco should be the only ones replacing it (for free).

anon164327

1 edit

anon164327

Re: 5 questions (re-doing nid)?

They wouldn't even know if I installed a new NID, as long as I wire it back up properly.

Plus most TDS customers have different make/models of NID's.

What's the big deal?

It's not like I'm gonna cause an explosion at the local DSLAM by doing all of this.

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Baldwin, NY

2 recommendations

Viet Vet

Premium Member

said by anon164327:

They wouldn't even know if I installed a new NID, as long as I wire it back up properly.

Plus most TDS customers have different make/models of NID's.

What's the big deal?

It's not like I'm gonna cause an explosion at the local DSLAM by doing all of this.

In over 32 years as a Telco installer / repairman I have run into a few wannabee techs who attempt to do their own thing with Teclo property. Generally with less than satisfactory results.

The ground rod is four foot long, good luck moving it.

The buried feed to the NID has no extra slack. The best you can do is mount the NID a few inches lower and pick up a minimal amount of slack. Do not attempt to splice the feeder, this will be just a target for future troubles.

Post some pictures, we need a good laugh.

anon164327

anon164327

I already said I'm going install it where the old one was, and I will post pictures sometime in the next 3 weeks whenever I finish it.

I'm going to first mount the new NID and new conduit on a thick new sturdy board and then I will fish the cabling through the conduit.

The new NID also comes with a pots splitter insert.

I also picked up a RJ45 female to RJ11 male adapter for my modem which will make the home run much easier to install.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

Sweet, that'll be one more excuse for the telco to blame the customer for failure and bill you for repairs.

anon164327

anon164327

My telco won't even know that I installed a new one.

Their logo is not printed on any of their NID's.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

1 edit

Hank

Premium Member

Most NID's I have seen do not have the Telco logo, but they do usually know which brand and type of NID that they use.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to anon164327

Premium Member

to anon164327

Re: 5 questions (moving nid)?

it wasn't right for the company to trick their customers into thinking they had a virus. with that being said, it doesnt matter that you have a mac, they are susceptible to viruses.
Stumbles
join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Stumbles to AsherN

to AsherN

Re: 5 questions (re-doing nid)?

Exactly my thoughts. The OP is opening up a can of worms.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to anon164327

Premium Member

to anon164327
said by anon164327:

My telco won't even know that I installed a new one.

Their logo is not printed on any of their NID's.

I'm going to first mount the new NID and new conduit on a thick new sturdy board and then I will fish the cabling through the conduit.

The new NID also comes with a pots splitter insert.

The new conduit and board will be a dead giveaweay. So will the integrated POTS splitter. They'll know it's not their equipment and will blame you for any issue.

If the current one is working, leave it be. If you have issues, let the telco fix it.

anon164327

anon164327

Ok you guys have scared me enough now that I'm sticking with my old NID. LOL

But I still want to do some general maintenance.

#Q1 I want to replace the rusted metal conduit with new grey plastic conduit instead and mount the original NID and new plastic conduit on a buried 2x4 that rests on the exterior wall, Because I dont really feel like creating screw holes for the conduit brackets on the side of the house and I'd rather just mount it all on a 2x4 is that ok?

#Q2 The two grommets that are on my nid right now are made out of really cheap foam and are worn out, Can someone please show me were to buy 2 replacement rubber grommets?

#Q3 Is it safe for an RJ45 coupler to be inside of a sealed up NID?

#Q4 Can tips like these be crimped onto cat5 wire?

[att=1]

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26

1) should be fine
2) without seeing your NID, hard to say
3) should be fine
4) no, do not bother.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

AsherN to anon164327

Premium Member

to anon164327
Do whatever you want. Obviously you have not quite grasped the concept of DON'T TOUCH THE TELCO EQUIPMENT.

As soon as a tech notices that the equipment has been tampered with, they'll blame that for any fault.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

said by AsherN:

Do whatever you want. Obviously you have not quite grasped the concept of DON'T TOUCH THE TELCO EQUIPMENT.

As soon as a tech notices that the equipment has been tampered with, they'll blame that for any fault.

(He means, "YOU WILL BE PAYING!" for any repairs at the going rate...)

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

As of 6/30 the OP is keeping the old NID...
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

But wants to disconnect the telco wire to replace and remount the conduit, and redo the inside connections. That is tampering with the telco side of the NID.

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Baldwin, NY

Viet Vet to anon164327

Premium Member

to anon164327
said by anon164327:

Ok you guys have scared me enough now that I'm sticking with my old NID. LOL

But I still want to do some general maintenance.

#Q1 I want to replace the rusted metal conduit with new grey plastic conduit instead and mount the original NID and new plastic conduit on a buried 2x4 that rests on the exterior wall, Because I dont really feel like creating screw holes for the conduit brackets on the side of the house and I'd rather just mount it all on a 2x4 is that ok?

#Q2 The two grommets that are on my nid right now are made out of really cheap foam and are worn out, Can someone please show me were to buy 2 replacement rubber grommets?

#Q3 Is it safe for an RJ45 coupler to be inside of a sealed up NID?

#Q4 Can tips like these be crimped onto cat5 wire?

[att=1]

There is a long standing rule that states "If it ain`t broken, don`t fix it"! There no reason what so ever for you to touch the TELCO side of the NID. To include disconnecting the feed and fishing it into a new conduit. What generally happens is the conductors break and you are forced to splice extensions on to them, to allow you to re-terminate them. If in fact TELCO has to come out to your NID to clear a trouble as a result of your "improvements" You most certainly will be billed for their time and repairs.

Why don`t you do something useful like count the number of M & M`s in a package.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to anon164327

to anon164327
out of curiosity....

can you take a pic of the inside of your NID and post it here?

show me yours and I'll show you mine....

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

1 recommendation

K3SGM to anon164327

Premium Member

to anon164327
said by anon164327:

#4 The recessed telco screw has barely any space around it and my hex bolt set is way to thick around the edges, where can I buy a really thin edged long driver bit?

The tool you are looking for is commonly called a "Can Wrench", you can Google it.

I take absolutely no responsibility for what you do with it however.