how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

Remote DVR not working

I noticed the past 2 days I am unable to schedule recordings via the Fios Remote app or Fios Mobile app on my phone. I get a message: "Error communicating with our servers". Is anyone else having this problem? I tried rebooting the DVR and that did not fix the issue.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1

This kind of thing happens all the time. Usually requires you to reset your router and stb (and sometimes the ONT) to force reconnection if your are impatient. Otherwise it usually corrects but sometimes takes a few days.

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to Mac973

My FIOS remote DVR stops working every few weeks for the past 5 years. When I have Directv before, I don't remember their remote DVR ever stop working.

This is one of the most frustrating things on FIOS.

Mac973

West Orange, NJ
reply to Mac973

Update: Oddly enough, even though I received an error message when scheduling a recording, it still recorded the show.

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

I have also noticed the same thing on my FIOS mobile app when I try to record something.

It doesn't happen however when try the FIOS DVR app.

matthewh16

join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA
reply to Mac973

From what I've seen, the reason for MOST people, as to why the CallerID and RemoteDVR stops working is this:

The STBs are assigned IPs dynamically in the 192.168.1.100 range. The router requires port forwarding for each STB, and each port forward is STB Specific in regards to the outside port. If a device gets reset, the STB gets a different IP, but the port forwards do NOT automatically update to the new IP.

If you have VZ fix the port forwards, and than make the STBs working IP assignments STATIC, it won't ever fail again. The STBs will now always get the same IP, and so the port forwards will match. I did this probably 2 years ago and mine has never gone out since. =)

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by matthewh16:

From what I've seen, the reason for MOST people, as to why the CallerID and RemoteDVR stops working is this:

The STBs are assigned IPs dynamically in the 192.168.1.100 range. The router requires port forwarding for each STB, and each port forward is STB Specific in regards to the outside port. If a device gets reset, the STB gets a different IP, but the port forwards do NOT automatically update to the new IP.

If you have VZ fix the port forwards, and than make the STBs working IP assignments STATIC, it won't ever fail again. The STBs will now always get the same IP, and so the port forwards will match. I did this probably 2 years ago and mine has never gone out since. =)

Disabling and then re-enabling caller ID SHOULD remap the port forwarding.

Mac973

West Orange, NJ
reply to Mac973

If I have the Fios Mobile app installed is it necessary to also have the Fios Remote app installed too? Seems redundant since you can schedule recordings from the Fios Mobile app.

matthewh16

join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA
reply to PJL

said by PJL:

said by matthewh16:

Disabling and then re-enabling caller ID SHOULD remap the port forwarding.

Good to know! I use static IPs with my computers anyway though.

caps620

join:2009-01-18
Central NJ
reply to Mac973

See this thread, had Verizon change fro TCP to UDP, never had the problem again ....

»Caller ID and Remote DVR stop working quite often