1 recommendation

Milk and Wine Lillies

Click for full size
FUJIFILM FinePix S3380
4.3mm 1/90th F3.1 ISO64

Click for full size
FUJIFILM FinePix S3380
4.3mm 1/125th F3.1 ISO64

My Lillies starting to bloom thought I would share a couple photo's. I would also appreciate any tips on taking better pictures of my flowers.

KittyMom
Premium
join:2005-05-15
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:9

They are beautiful. Lilies are one of my favorites.
--
»www.flickr.com/photos/37153430@N03/

krazyboi
Premium
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX
kudos:1
reply to Xlogic

looking good...

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to Xlogic

Your images are lovely. The only thing I might suggest is to try to shoot them, or crop them, without the background car. And, since the direction in which you shot also has a building included, I might try to shoot the flowers with the building straight up and down so the eye doesn't wander to look at the lopsided building instead of your focal point. You've done a nice job in shooting when they have water droplets on the petals too, btw.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Xlogic
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Conyers, GA

2 recommendations

Click for full size
I did crop one and played with the curves a little just learning how to do it actually so it might not be right. You all are welcome to use these in the "Artify" thread I'm sure they could look better.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

2 recommendations

reply to Xlogic

said by Xlogic:

My Lillies starting to bloom thought I would share a couple photo's. I would also appreciate any tips on taking better pictures of my flowers.

Get in close to start with; cropping will only get you so far. Set a smaller f/stop (larger number) and use a tripod if you have to. That class of Fuji will take some really nice pictures in good light, which you've got here.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
reply to Xlogic

To my way of thinking, you have the idea, and practicing is one of the best ways to learn, not only the shooting but the processing. Would you mind of I posted one that I played with to show you fully what I meant, right here in this thread?

Xlogic
Premium
Conyers, GA

I don't mind at all.

KittyMom
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 recommendations

reply to Xlogic

Well, since you don't mind us playing. . .

I cropped, applied Topaz Detail and Lens Effects and finished with a mask and borders in an effort to minimize any background distractions.
--

Xlogic
Premium
Conyers, GA

1 recommendation

That's really nice, KittyMom I looked at your flicker very nice pictures there to, I put all the pictures of the stray cat's I feed on mine...lol...located here > »www.flickr.com/photos/igmo/
--
»www.flickr.com/photos/igmo/

KittyMom
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

I just checked out your photostream. Very cool!! That one cat looks like a lion.
--

Xlogic
Premium
Conyers, GA

1 recommendation

LoL I call him Bighead he is very tame and about 8 years old.
--

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

3 recommendations

reply to Xlogic

Click for full size
FUJIFILM FinePix S3380
4.3mm 1/125th F3.1 ISO64

I cropped, cloned out the top of the street and cloned in a few more leaves to cover that drain pipe. I added a little tone mapping, vibrancy, and finished off with a slight back lighting. Everyone else would do their own thing, and I think what you did to start with was a great start. The things I did are just "me".

Xlogic
Premium
Conyers, GA

1 edit

That's very nice jaykaykay!

I use GIMP is "tone mapping" called something else?

GeekGirl1
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay

Click for full size
I agree, you need go material to start with. Here's my version, cropped and resized to 1024x768.

Xlogic - I'm also using GIMP. If you don't have it yet, download the Fx-Foundry Scripts Pack. I used:

-BSSS sharpening
-Lasm's LAB wow
-LOMO effect

-along with a few other effects.

I found a definition for tone mapping: "Tone mapping reduces global contrast in images while increasing local contrast and shadow/highlight detail." Google for "tone mapping GIMP" - I don't have any experience with it, but there are tutorials and scripts. The Levels control seems to do some of this work.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay

First I want to say nice edit JKK. Looking at that full size, it just proves my point about that class of Fuji taking some really nice shots. Even after your crop and edit, there's still a lot there. Maybe I'll pull out the old S3000 and give her a spin.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to Xlogic

said by Xlogic:

That's very nice jaykaykay!

I use GIMP is "tone mapping" called something else?

»osp.wikidot.com/tone-mapping

Xlogic
Premium
Conyers, GA

Thanks jaykaykay, I've spent the day going through the gimp plugin registry, so many plugins but its fun playing with them.
--

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA

You are most welcome. Happy I was of help for you. Enjoy the plugins.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to Xlogic

You might also like Raw Therapee. It has extensive features, including tone and luminance mapping, temperature adjustment and great sharpening and local contrast tools. I often use it to pre-process my raw PEFs prior to editing in GIMP.

It supports most RAW formats and can export directly to GIMP.

Significant missing features are selection tools and layers.

»rawtherapee.com/

For a sample of working in RT and GIMP, see this tutorial on repair of a noisy RAW image.

»software-tips.wonderhowto.com/ho···-291001/
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.