spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

php111

join:2008-11-06
Allentown, PA

[dedicated] Some questions about OVH dedicated servers?

Hey everyone:

I have some questions about OVH dedicated servers.

1.) If I buy the KS 1 from here »www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/ will it be in English? Or would the language be in French? I only know English, and I also live in the USA.

2.) I currently use Windows 7 desktop PC. Could I still use that KS 1 server? This is not at all for business. It's for personal use.

3.) Does that KS 1 server comes with both of these but not one over the other which is a dedicated IP and port forwarding enabled so both of those?

4.) Are there tutorials for setting up torrents on the KS 1 server? Or would anyone recommend either one of these two tutorials for setting up torrents on a KS 1 server? »www.torrent-invites.com/seedbox-···ntu.html and »cheapseedboxes.com/how-to-instal···ted-vps/

I would appreciate if someone could answer and reply back by answering all questions from #1-#4

Thank you,

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
I used OVH for a number of years, excellent company and they offer 24/7 phone support as well.

1. It would be in english.
2. You cannot install your own OS on the server, you can only install what they provide. The only Windows OS you can install is Windows Server and you'll either need to pay them a monthly fee for it, or supply your own key which they will validate through Microsoft.
3. You will get a dedicated IP, as well as 3 "fail over" IP's for a total of 4 IP's. You can use these IP's however you wish. I ran VM's and had the fail over IP's assigned to my VM's.
4. Not that I am aware of, setting up some stuff (such as the fail over IP's) is very tricky and can require lots of googling. To get the IP's to work in Windows, you'll have to do registery edits and to get them to work in Linux, you'll have to edit the iptables conf file I believe. It's a pain.

Also, OVH.US is based in Canada/US and must follow DCMA laws, so if you plan on using the server for illegal torrenting, you best better look for a dedicated server in a country that doesn't have copyright laws. I believe they also throttle and/or block torrent traffic as well on their networks.

php111

Allentown, PA
Hi MJimLay:

Thank you so much for all the info and your answers.

May you please recommend me a really good dedicated server that is not in this country and doesn't have copyright laws and doesn't block the traffic? I'm looking in the price of between $20-$39. Or it's no you couldn't make any recommendations like that? Please let me know. Thank you!

MineCoast
Premium
You'd be better off looking for a seedbox in Sweden or Russia instead of a dedicated server. The cheapest off-shore dedicated server I've found was $99+ a month, they aren't cheap. However, if you get a seedbox, you'd be sharing the server with other people and splitting the costs.

php111

Allentown, PA
Thank you!

MineCoast
Premium
reply to MineCoast
or use a VPN service and just connect to the VPN when you are doing torrents.