TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

Rogers why such slow uploads man?

Man what is with rogers and their god awful upload speeds? I got to say bell kills them in this area. I hate having the middle ground plan EXPRESS and bells version of this comes with 10 up rogers you get a shitty 2

Come on rogers with online storage move up that upload speed. Wish I could get bell in my area and move to a 3rd party.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

It is pretty pathetic speeds for a company that spends so much money on advertising how fast their network monopoly is.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

yeah I want it for my business I'm downloading a crap ton of software and want to make sure I can upload all the data plus all my own data. Joined bitcasa for 80 for a year unlimted. It's great but takes days to upload GB's of data I pay 83 for unlimited now rogers business 60/10 for 95 is looking good but man that 3 year term.

Wonder what the termination fee would be on it.

RLBL
join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

RLBL

Although I understand the desire not to be locked into a term, I wonder if it makes a big deal if the user stays with the service for 3 years.

I was on my previous service for well over 3 years... I am also looking at the business plans, but hesitating as someone may offer a better deal in the future.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

yeah my issue is i can't get 3rd party dsl where I live. The most this town can get on DSL is 6 down and being as I'm so far from the CO I can't get get that. New houses are being built so maybe bell will upgrade the town at least I hope so.

I'd get tek 25/10 DSL if I could. maybe I'll go rogers and see what the discount fees are.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
TD... Can you get START.ca cable internet? They are introducing some new 10Mbps Upload options ($10/mo), and also some new Unlimited Download options ($10/mo).

"25/10/Unlimited" should be $59.95. New options should be available this week.

Take a look here...
»Upcoming package changes - sneak preview

Myself, I'd be thrilled if Rogers changed their low-end LITE package to 8/1, AND still allowed D2 modems!

That current 256K upload is simply pathetic... I can almost type faster than that! That cable 256K upload has kept me with 6M DSL for years now. (with my ultra-low budget)

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
We have the 60/10 at work. It's $85/month + tax.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

any clue what it is without the 3 year term or do you guys get that price without the 3 year term?
TOPDAWG

1 edit

TOPDAWG to jasmo34

Premium Member

to jasmo34
sounds great till you hit the whole you can't use more than 10GB a day. that kind of makes it not so great.

They got a 300GB cap as of now and 10GB a day is around 300GB a month no idea how that is unlimited. I think they have the no useage stuff during AM hours like everyone else too.

well you can still download much as you want but I'd have to see what they will throttle your connection too before I'd sign up.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

any clue what it is without the 3 year term or do you guys get that price without the 3 year term?

Yeah that was with 3 year term. It doesn't bother us here as we've been with Rogers since 2005. Bell only has a Stinger remote nearby and frankly the modems are not reliable to consider VDSL for business. Not to mention their pricing is out to lunch on 50/10 business VDSL, Rogers beats them hands down, and the modem they provide can be properly bridged for use with my own router.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

sounds great till you hit the whole you can't use more than 10GB a day. that kind of makes it not so great.
... /// ...
well you can still download much as you want but I'd have to see what they will throttle your connection too before I'd sign up.

Perhaps 'Capless' would have been a better name, than unlimited. As you noted, there is no 10GB/day hard cap.

Even after 10GB of DL's in a day, you may NOT see any reductions in throughput if the Start system shows no signs of congestion. So, if you are downloading Gigs 11 thru 22 for the day at 1 p.m., odds are they will still pump through to you at full speed. If 'management' does kick in when the system gets really busy, it only affects those unlimited users already over 10GB for that day. (ask Rocca for technical details; it's all about prioritizing your traffic; not lowering your 'speed').

Of course, uploads don't count at all, and you still have the 2 a.m. to 8 a.m. completely free period. Your unlimited counter resets daily.

It may not be for everyone, but it should be a viable option for some users, so they don't have to watch the meter, and don't have to worry about overages.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Also if the OP's service address is zoned as a commercial area, they won't be able to get a residential plan provisioned at that address. Not sure if Start has business options.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

They got a 300GB cap as of now and 10GB a day is around 300GB a month no idea how that is unlimited. I think they have the no useage stuff during AM hours like everyone else too.

They don't actually throttle or do any sort of shaping on your internet connection when you pass the threshold their fair use policy sets.

It's QoS management that they are applying. The technical explanation is that you get put into lower prioritized queue for traffic when QoS actually has act, IF QoS has to act on their interfaces to manage traffic. The only time you may see some speed slow down is a peak hours, if their aggregated links reach capacity.

To put it in layman's terms, think of HOV/Bus lanes on the 401. On a well managed network, all lanes will function like HoV/Bus lanes, smooth sailing flow of traffic, everyone goes at the pace you can (obviously not in actuality with regards to automobile driving but go with me on this). But if a lot of vehicles start entering the 401 and they are these "unlimited" users (I guess you think monthly passes vs tolls if the 401 were a tolled freeway). If a lot of these unlimited drivers started to cause some congestion/slow downs, they get shifted into lane (or few lanes, 401 gets pretty wide) that are meant just for them and everyone else gets to stay on the better flowing HoV/Bus like lanes. This is what is meant by priority. The capped traffic will be put in better lanes of traffic than unlimited users. But you will only feel the effect if capacity actually gets near full use.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

well I get how it works but really I'll wait a month and see what more details they give out. If it all looks good I'll switch. this 25/2 for 83 a month is BS.

RLBL
join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

RLBL to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

You can use more than 10GB/day... you can use as much as you want.

The key is the traffic you require in excess of 10GB falls into QoS traffic shaping until the next day. If the system requirement is low, you will see your advertised throughput.

Your bandwidth will vary depending on system demand. This is why they can keep in cheaper than Rogers, and even Tek.

This can also be combined with 10mbps uploads for an additional $10/month (so unl. + 10u = $20 over their posted capped plans)

(I am still looking to move from Rogers if it makes sense, and Start's new pricing and products look very inviting)

dmbcanada
join:2009-06-01
London, ON

dmbcanada to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
Rogers won the right to claim it is 'fastest' internet in Canada yet both Cogeco and Videotron offer 1mbps upload in their lightest package while Rogers is only at 256K! My DSL has faster upload at 800K!