signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Thinking about all of you in the middle of this heat wave

Here in the northeast we are having rainy weather, and will have it for the next several days from what I understand. We've had a minor heat wave too (a heat wave for us is 3 days with 90 degrees or more, oh the horror!)

I understand all of y'all out west are enduring really hot weather, and I'm thinking about all of you, having been there before. I also hope that the drought lifts for those of you hurting for rain. Let it rain, let it rain (thinking of Eric Clapton).
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 edit

Thanks!

I have just heard on the news that the weather system bringing the high temperatures is going to linger around longer then originally thought which means that the daytime temperatures will continue to rise with very little relief in the evenings. Current estimate is that we will have record high temperatures until Wednesday at least.

I did manage today without using the AC but I'm sitting in front of a fan at full blast

Edit: latest update

said by nws :

An excessive heat warning remains in effect until 7 PM PDT
Tuesday for the interior valleys and hills of the San Francisco
Bay area and Monterey Bay area.

* Timing: days will continue to be hot through at least Tuesday.
In addition... nights will be very warm... especially in the
interior valleys and in the hills. Hot weather may continue
beyond Tuesday... possibly on into Thursday July 4.
Therefore..the excessive heat warning may need to be extended in
time.

* Temperatures: high temperatures are expected to be in the
upper 90s to 110 degrees for inland areas. Overnight low
temperatures will only cool into the mid 60s in the valleys
with mountain locations remaining in the mid 70s to lower 80s.

* Impacts: this prolonged period of excessive heat will result in
a heightened risk of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw

3 recommendations

Click for full size
here's a little something to help cool you off!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

here in the NE we had a late start to warm weather. It was only a few weeks, maybe less, that we had nearly freezing nighttime temperatures, the news people even were complaining about it. And we are in the middle of the second most rainy June on record. It's supposed to snow tomorrow night. erm, ok, just kidding on that last one. Made ya look!
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Luckily we're fairly close to the ocean...

TwoFrogs
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Downtown
reply to signmeuptoo

The thermometer outside my window says 111 degrees. Nothing like Canada, though. »Re: Happy Canada Day!!
--
Things are more like they used to be than they are now.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to signmeuptoo

107*F today hot hot hot!

lonnyb
Blessed Beyond Belief
Premium
join:2004-01-25
Dayton, OH
reply to signmeuptoo

I wonder if temperatures seem cooler when converted to Celsius.
--
I know when to fold 'em *ALL THE TIME!*

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

I guess it depends on what scale you are used to. I grew up with Celsius so when I hear 20 (= warm), 30 (= hot), 40 (= extremely hot) I know what it means without even having to think about it.

That Celsius trick might work for someone that doesn't normally use that scale. Just don't try it when it gets really cold (-40C = -40F)
--

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 recommendation

said by leibold:

I guess it depends on what scale you are used to. I grew up with Celsius so when I hear 20 (= warm), 30 (= hot), 40 (= extremely hot) I know what it means without even having to think about it.

That Celsius trick might work for someone that doesn't normally use that scale. Just don't try it when it gets really cold (-40C = -40F)

After living on the prairies for over 20 years, I've come to think 20 = nice summer day, 24 = hot, 27 = very hot, 33 = extremely hot, 40 = i must be in Texas!.

I think I'd much rather have -40 than +40.
--
Jamais le mal n’aura le dernier mot. La foi et l’amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.
- Marguerite (Maggy) Barankitse

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Hey Squirt, which province are you in? You're way up there, right?

Reading this:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Prairies

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

They lied....

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Hey Squirt, which province are you in? You're way up there, right?

Reading this:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Prairies

I'm in central Alberta. Today, we're halfway between very hot and extremely hot on my prairie temperature scale. Time to go get some ice cream!
--
Jamais le mal n’aura le dernier mot. La foi et l’amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

2 recommendations

said by squirt:

Time to go get some ice cream!

Coming right up:

Dolce de Vita

Just for you
--

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by leibold:

Coming right up:
[att=1]
Just for you

Thanks! That hit the spot.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

We have a place out here that has their own icecream and flavors names after local rivers (Indian names).

Also, these frozen soft serve yogurt joints keep sprouting up. I've seen 4 of them open up in the area in just the last year or so.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing

we have a dq 5 blocks from our place. too bad they don't still have 7 cent cones like when i was a kid ..

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

»froyoworld.com/

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:3
reply to signmeuptoo

It got to 69 Degrees here in Mo.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo

We had a cool spell today, only 93! Beats the 107 we had Saturday.
Somebody pass me my parka and some hot cocoa....
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Santa Fe

BART is on strike which needless to say causes problems for all other transit providers. I managed to get a seat on Caltrain before it filled up (and that means running out of standing room!). It was only then that I discovered that the AC in that particular train car didn't work by which time there was no chance of moving elsewhere. The windows on those cars don't open and combined with today's temperatures it was like riding in a sauna all the way home

I'm in need of some ice cream myself right now!
--

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
reply to mr sean

64 now, 73 high
Been very rainy yet this couple of weeks, but last week was warmer.

I sure can't complain.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 edit
reply to signmeuptoo

On PBS they are talking about the change in the climate such that the entire west is in a prolonged drought and that winter snows are melting much earlier in the year in Colorado making forests much drier. The firefighting expert said there has been a significant flow of home building in forests in recent years further exposing the forests to a greater likelihood for wildfires. He cited the changes due to more arcing power lines where there weren't any before and the refusal of doing pre-emptive burns to control things, amongst a number of other issues to do with the increase in wildfires.

It is very sad what happened in AZ, the loss of lives. I've been out there and the forests are breathtaking there, but maybe we shouldn't be populating such places as we are, I don't know, I need more information on the issue, but this prolonged drought is really worrisome. I hope when fall comes some good rain comes!
--

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to signmeuptoo

FWIW, yesterday was the hottest day here on record (if you go by the humidex reading). Not the hottest July 2nd ever. The hottest day ever ... which makes it kind of like a cool spring day in Texas, I figure.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Well, you've been to Tejas, so you have a point of reference! In my trailer in AZ it was near 120 numerous times (a hot all metal trailer with no AC, no swamp cooler for almost 2 years). It would get so darned hot there that you couldn't sit down on a bus bench or you'd actually get skin burns! And right now evidently it is hotter than ever there. At this point, it doesn't even look good for the August monsoon there. I must confess that this all is kinda scary really.

Here in CT we've also had historic weather over the last couple years (just in time for my moving here), the second rainiest June, last year was the rainiest ever, an epic winter storm, a hurricane, and previous to that 2 other storms. New England is generally pretty spoiled, the climate, although cold, is a gentle one, and we don't normally get many hurricanes or tornadoes (though we had one 2 days ago).

I can live with what we've had, but please let it rain out west! (I vividly remember yearning for rain out there).
--

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo

Just one fire out west is the Silver Fire. We have friends and wife's family all over the Gila area.
Official Gila Forest Flicker stream:
»www.flickr.com/photos/gilaforest···1/Silver Fire
Official Silver Fire Facebook page:
»www.facebook.com/SilverFireNM

The AZ fire was local to us and hit home even harder after monitoring the fire in NM as friends and family there with some fighting the NM fire.
Prayers to all the firefighters and their families and friends. Monsoon is trying to move in but not expecting much unfortunately.