Search similar:

uniqs

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

Domane

Premium Member

[Rant] MS Word 2010

Different people prefer for different and individual reasons prefer one version of MS Word over another. Whatever you prefer I have no criticism of your choice or standard. None.

As for me I got "stuck" on my PC running Windows 7 64 with the 2010 version of Word.

Now I've used every version of Word from 95 to 2011 and they all have been fine overall.

However...Windows 2010 SUCKS!

It as if they subcontracted 2010 out to a mental institution for the technologically insane in the PRC. I mean damn, in terms of similarity of the user interface or control and toolbars and so on from 95 to 2011 they are all pretty close.

But the 2010 code and finished product was written only on the days the medication truck failed to arrive. Word 2010's interface is as pleasant of an experience to deal with as a case of hemorrhoids. If it happen to be the very first version of Word one ever used I suppose it MIGHT be tolerable. But if you are used to the other versions you are doomed.

What in the hell! Talk about changing everything you can think of in terms of the above, well those software wackos at the institution did it.

I can't even find where to change the default setting for the "normal" font and font size. The built in default is Times Roman 10 point. I'm a 12 point default guy and usually prefer some variation of Arial.

But hey the above is just for starters.

Thank God for my OS X box with 2011 and the second Windows box just begging to be set up. I can guarantee if I ever set it up and running there will be no 2010 Office with Word on that sucker.

So there!

ADDENDUM: I am not interested in how good, great or better some other version of a Word Processor or Office type suite that someone other than me likes. I'm not interested. Catch my drift?

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

dandelion

MVM

Is that why I can't figure out anything going on in this word? Give me some decent program it doesn't take me time to figure it out, I just want to open, work in it and close it. Is there any suggestions how to do this with this 2010?

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain to Domane

to Domane
Get a typewriter. Office 2010 is better, lighter, and you can do a lot more with it. Take some time (30 minutes) to learn it and you'll love it more than the older versions. They're never going back to the way it was.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
They all went to hell as soon as MS crossed Office with MS Bob.

That damned paper clip. It's like adults were too stupid to do anything.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
I'm not a fan of the ribbon bar myself, but I use Word 2010 at work and 2013 at home, and both are easily useable after a couple of projects. When I get stumped -- as in, "where the hell did they put xxx!?!", I'm not too proud to search for the answer.

Changing the default normal template font isn't hard - a click, a scroll, a click and three confirmatory clicks.

Sometimes, f1 can be your friend...

p.s. if you don't like '10, don't even think about '13 -- it's like Word 10 in stick figures...

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Domane

MVM

to Domane
quote:
I can't even find where to change the default setting for the "normal" font and font size. The built in default is Times Roman 10 point. I'm a 12 point default guy and usually prefer some variation of Arial.
File --> Options

If you used Word 2007 then 2010 is not much of a difference at all. Took me a little bit of time to get used to it and I used Office 95 till after Office 2003 was out.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Domane

to Domane
said by Domane:

Sounds like the user is the problem. I've never had to change that setting before but it took me 5 seconds to find it in 2010. Now that I've seen where it is, I'm fairly certain it's in the same place in 2007.

Domane
Premium Member

Domane to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

quote:
File --> Options

If you used Word 2007 then 2010 is not much of a difference at all. Took me a little bit of time to get used to it and I used Office 95 till after Office 2003 was out.

Admittedly reading text on monitors is a bit challenging for me visually especially if there is a lot of clutter.

I tried File --> Options but don't see a box or line that mentions default settings or allows me in some form to that. I did find in the laundry list I encountered a place to change separately font and font size which I did. The resulted in now a new document opens up in opens with 12 pt font but the default Font remains Times New Roman--I told it near where it allowed me to change font size to 12 I also changed it to Arial but the Arial "change" doesn't translate to changing to Arial when opening up a new blank document.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
I have 2010 and I dont really notice much difference from 2007.
Now I will agree their ribbon setup is horrible vs the old 2003 and before menu system.
Using icons instead of text menus just wastes space on your screen.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Still using 2003 at home. I don't see any reason to upgrade, as 2003 does everything I need it to do.

We will soon be upgraded to 2010 at work. Will probably suck, cause the brand new laptops they provided everyone a year ago they picked the model with the smallest screen resolution of 1280x800. It's already a PITA with some of the applications I have to use in the field, which simply can not fit in such a small resolution.

It only keeps getting worst as applications are now taking high-resolution screens for granted.

Why do manufacturers even MAKE laptops with such low-res screens anymore?

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
Click for full size
If it's the GUI that's the main issue, I really like Classic Menu. Purchased a license and really like how it integrates into ALL my Office 2010 Plus 64-bit applications.

Domane
Premium Member

1 edit

2 recommendations

Domane

Premium Member

The link to convert to the "Classic Menu" did the trick. I was instantly able set up and make changes with the "Classic" GUI.
Expand your moderator at work
Domane

Domane to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed

Re: [Rant] MS Word 2010

said by CylonRed:

Thanks for the info.

From your post and one other person's it sounds like 2010's interface is a rehash of 2007. That makes me incorrect when I said I had used all versions of Word from 95 to the 2010 as I must not have used 2007 because 2010 is the first version with the interface I find so different from the "classic" interface.

Reading text and other certain types content on a computer monitor is a bit challenging for me. So combine that with a totally different interface on a program requiring relearning something significantly different that I've been using since 95 can be a bit frustrating.

Also, for the past two years I've moved from exclusively living in the Windows world to now playing mostly in OS X. MS Office versions for OS X apparently don't necessarily match or mirror the interface of Windows version.

My current Mac version of MS Word is 2011 and it is the classic interface. My last version which was either 2007 or 2008, (not sure) was also the classic look.*

I just got a new 27" LED monitor and am expecting a pair of prescription glassed in the mail in the next week or so that are just for looking at the monitor to assist my brain to process images better.

BG5150
join:2008-08-14
New York, NY

1 recommendation

BG5150 to Domane

to Domane

Domane See ProfileI don't see anything positive from any angle by without provocation flaming the poster as stupid or somehow mentally impaired for not being able to figure out the issue on their own and instead asks for help.

Funny that it's bad when it happens to you, but you had no problem calling into question the mental faculties of the programmers...

Domane See ProfileIt as if they subcontracted 2010 out to a mental institution for the technologically insane in the PRC.
But the 2010 code and finished product was written only on the days the medication truck failed to arrive.
...well those software wackos at the institution did it.

Expand your moderator at work